Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Books | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3 Girls - Moving to Lanzarote in May 2009, looking for work.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:50 pm 

Hi everyone :) Me and my 2 friends have had ENOUGH of the everday plodding along rainy english way of life, and are coming to Costa Teguise in May to live and work. I have heard that the best time to go is around then and that jobs can be limited. BUT... we are not looking for a really well paid exclusive job, we just want a bar job that pays the rent and leaves us with enough money to eat!! We came back from Costa on Feb 16th and cannot wait to come back. Uf anyone knows of any jobs, or would be interested in hiring us etc, please please please let me know. We LOVE bars like Saxo's and Legends, but any bar would be great!!

Thanks guys!

Sam :)

Post subject: Re: 3 Girls - Moving to Lanzarote in May 2009, looking for work.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 pm 

Hi girls,
I would suggest that you read some of the other posts about this subject over the recent months. Unless you have a large amount of spare cash then i would think seriously about your plans. Bars and restaurants in Costa are laying staff off at an alarming rate and places are closing down too - one of which has been here for 20 years and has just closed its doors this week. I would imagine the only staff that are being hired here this summer are the ones who have been recently laid off. There are no well paid exclusive jobs here and the average wage is €5.00 per hour, usually without a contract, so you have no social security fall back and no healthcare cover if something should go wrong. The cost of living here is quite high if you have no transport to get to the cheaper stores in Arrecife, so if you were lucky enough to all get jobs have you worked out how much you would need to earn to just live and eat?
I am sorry if this sounds negative but this is how it is right now and would hate to see anyone be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we realise the pay wont be as good, and we are expecting a bar job which will be more than fine. We aren't coming over expecting miracles. Seeing as credit crunch heaven is taking a big enough chunk out of the economy at the moment! In may though, there has to be something right?!!! There will be 3 of us sharing rent, so as long as we are all earning about 450-600 euro's a month, we'll be able to live comfortably. Thanks for the help though!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 pm 

Well best of Luck to you all, but as previous threads have indicated it looks as if work is pretty scarce over there at the moment, :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:45 pm 

To be perfectly honest, the figure of €450 - €600, each, means that you all would need to work 22.5 - 30 hours a week each.At the present moment in time that would require a miracle - if one of you manages to find a 30 hour a week job you will be doing very well and would be extremely lucky!
I cannot stress enough how difficult things are for most businesses at the moment - this will not last forever but i can still see it being the same in May and possibly the rest of the year.
As i said, if you have a large amount of spare cash to back you up then fair enough - it will give you some time to be patient. I did not see one single ´staff wanted´sign around the resort last year and it is the same now. The only people being hired are cooks and chefs and theres a glut of them here just now.
Be careful girls the employment grass is not greener on the other side at the moment!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:50 pm 

La Esquina the apartment would cost between 450-600 a month so they don't need to get 30 hour a week jobs to cover the cost.

However I totally agree now is definitely not the right time to think about coming and looking for work. I am in PDC and the situation is much the same as in CT.

There is lots of long lets but no work!!! every picture tells a story doesn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 pm 

Hi Overhere, i am just quoting their figures of what they would be looking at earning each - the minimum , they would need to earn a month would be at least €1200 between them - a tall order in the current climate i feel!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:29 pm 

id work in a bar for a barrel a week and free accomadation :lol: id eat with the money i get from tips if theres any takers :wink: seriously though girls good luck on youre quest but i think you may find it hard in the current climate :x

love meatxx