Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Books | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Debit card cloning - BEWARE!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:18 pm 

My husband and his daughter stayed in PDC for a week in January this year. During their stay, they used their debit cards to withdraw cash from a hole in the wall near the bike hire shop on the strip. This weekend both myself and his daughter received phone calls from our relevant banks to check whether they were in Peru or not, as both their cards were supposedly being used there! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thank God they checked - well done banks (not often I feel like saying that!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, as they used to say, let's be careful out there!

Post subject: Re: Debit card cloning - BEWARE!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:56 pm 

Anne,
Can't remember is that a bank owned atm? I ask as I've never had any issues but I tend to use known bank atm's only.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:01 pm 

If it's the one I think it is I'm sure it's a bank one.

But why are they certain it was at this ATM, this could have happened anywhere, even in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:50 am 

They think it because both my husband and daughter's cards just happened to be cloned at the same time and the ONLY time that they were used together previously was in Puerto Del Carmen. She lives in a different county to us and we see each other every month or so, so.......I think I can safely say it happened in Lanzarote.
My husband thinks it was the Santander bank but isn't positive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 am 

We were told it was the Santander bank and that it had been tampered with !! so we used the Santander bank down the strip next to the Kiosko bar !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 am 

Doesn't make a difference who owns it.....if criminals have put a scamming device on it any atm could be at risk.

If it looks like something has been inserted in the card slot, or tampering then go somewhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:09 pm 

Hi
Definitely be aware of this problem...it has happened to another holidaymaker only a few days ago in PDC...they used a Santander terminal and found their (cloned) card being used in Peru.......best to ask in the bank first if they are aware of these scams......however anyone standing within a few feet of you could be using a remote device to clone your card.....take care.!!!!!!
If it does happen to you report it to the Policia or Guardia Civil as soon as you are aware of it,or if back home your local Police and card issuer fraud helpline.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 am 

Just as an update. I subsequently phoned both our bank national fraud centre (or whatever it's called) and tried to advise them of my husband's daughter's card also being cloned.
Neither of them were interested! :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am 

Well Anne I would change my bank,,,,,,,,because if they are so cavalier with your money its only a matter of time before they join the queue of banks asking the UK Govt for a bail-out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 pm 

Whenever I use my sol bank card. I get a text letting me know. Where and how much.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:11 pm 

lanzalocal wrote:
Well Anne I would change my bank,,,,,,,,because if they are so cavalier with your money its only a matter of time before they join the queue of banks asking the UK Govt for a bail-out.

Well, to be honest, they haven't been cavalier with our money. They contacted us about the fraud, and have refunded promptly all our funds. It's everyone else they don't care about :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 pm 

Typical bankers attitude.......and they wonder why they get into financial difficulties !!!!!
Would have thought that preventing losses would be paramount these days......heigh-ho ......always use only the dispensers of my (Spanish) bank...no one elses, that way am sure if there is a problem it can be resolved quickly......and knowing the staff as I do they would ensure that further losses to themselves or customers of other banks would be stopped ASAP.Mainly because it is a private bank so no shareholders to pick up the slack so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm 

I think you are getting your investment bankers and retail bankers confused lanza local!

And I think you are mixing up who is liable. As long as you report your loss within a reasonable time and took sensible precaustions you will be refunded your money. Scammers may only have their equipment in place for a couple of minutes before they remove the device.

You bank with a private bank?! How rich are you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm 

Bank of mum and dad, perhaps, foodie :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:04 pm 

Hi Foodie
To me a banker is a banker (oops typo there :oops: can´t be bothered re-typing the ´´w´´ )whether investment or retail !!
Agree some scammers equipment can be in place for only a few minutes......always thought that was why most ATM have small security cameras in them ????
Plenty of private banks throughout the world offering a better service than the traditional high street banks and far more profitable......and no am not rich just careful who looks after my money !!
Sorry John.....that bank deceased recently :(