Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A sad day
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:07 pm 

Unfortunately, after a month of trying, we've had to pull out of our purchase of a lovely villa in Las Colaradas. Legal challenges uncovered during due diligence, and no timeline or costings to resolve.

We're very disappointed (and I'm in the doghouse as "the boss" wanted to proceed regardless of planning permissions).

Oh well, back to the hunt and let's try to find one even nicer that is legal.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Post subject: Re: A sad day
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:06 am 

Hi, sorry to hear you have hit problems buying the villa at Las Colaradas in Playa Blanca, if you don't mind me asking, was it the one with the red kitchen units?
Regards Roger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:42 am 

Sorry to hear of your disappointment......unfortunately during the period of a previous administration many areas around Playa Blanca were built or developed without the appropriate planning and other permissions.....in fact around 40% of PB is in a similar position....the current administration tried to retrospectively legalise many of these developments around 18 months to two years ago ....but was only partially successful due to the UN Biosphere status of the area which limits buildings and developments.....leaving several hundred properties in a legal abyss.....having been built and sold but now being illegal and potentially subject to demolition.Good luck with your search

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:02 am 

Sorry to hear that things have fallen through, but just think how you would feel if you bought it and then we're stuck with something that you had sunk all your hard earned cash into, but couldn't give away!

It's not much consolation, but it took us approx 6 years to get to the stage of actually buying somewhere, simply because we were picky and tried to be sensible.

Let me tell you though, we looked at some absolute stinkers on the way, I think some agents think you leave your brain at the departure airport and that you are so desperate to buy your dream that you will buy anything and at any price!

In the end, we found ourselves back where we started and we bought on the Hipoclub development at the other end of PB near the lighthouse. We bought from the developer rather than through an agent (they add on approx €10k to the developer price - the developer has its own sales force and website).

Even then, it was not entirely straight forward, compared to buying and selling in the UK (unexpected charges from the bank for issuing cheques to pay anyone, no water connected, large unexpected charges for water and power to be connected, relaxed attitude to the snagging list to name but a few). On the whole, however we are very happy with what we bought. We are on a high end development with a mix of residents and rentals and it's peaceful with fantastic views. Although we did spend more money than we intended, what we ended up with was far more than we had hoped for.

If this is something you really want, then I am sure you will keep looking and find the right property. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:58 pm 

Thank-you all for your kind replies.

Roger - not a hint of red in the kitchen. It was a 3 bed (including a garage converted into an apartment) at the top of a cul-de-sac on quite a large plot - about 1/3 of an acre in English terms. Nice (sea and mountain) views, gorgeous outside space and a nice "flow" to the place.

Lanza - the situation does sound similar to the way you have described it. The entire plot (approx 30 villas) seems to have been declared illegal several years ago without the current owners even being aware of it. Our solicitor (and we're very thankful to him for being very diligent), assures us it could not be demolished. However the whole plot needs to apply for planning first, and then each villa needs an archtitectural sign-off by the town hall (which will be difficult for many of them as they've been extended from the original plan). Our particular villa hasn't been extended, so the solicitor feels it will get consent it will just take time (unknown) and several thousand euros (again unknown). The vendor thinks this is our problem not his!!!

Parrot - thanks also for your wise counsel. I think my beloved would still like to carry on even with the risks involved as she has fallen so much in love with it (and I loved it too). But on occasions the head has to overrule the heart. We didn't personally go for the Faro Park area although we know a lot of people love it there and the build quality is excellent. Appreciate your words of encouragement.

Our brief (we're not fussy, honest!!) is as follows with a budget of €350K to €400K top :

· 3 or 4 bedrooms
· A nice “flow” and feel to the property
· Sea view
· Good outdoor space, reasonable sized pool with roman steps
· Not too overlooked – quiet area
· Reasonably completed area – preferably not surrounded by wasteland or building plots
· Not a major project
. Weekly let potential
· No legal problems!!!!

The last requirement is now the most important. :)

Money in the bank and ready to go, so if anyone knows of anywhere (in PB) I'd be happy to receive a private message.

We're not put off, (or desparate, yet) just very sad and licking our wounds. Not out again until February though.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:02 pm 

On the back of my last post, someone did Private Message me to say they may have something I'd be interested in.

First time I've used the PM function on this forum, and I just replied to the mail I received. Didn't receive anything back, and I now can't find the message in my sent box so not sure if I've done something wrong? Please can someone simply explain how PMs work on this forum.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:37 pm 

Hopefully the usual.

Send on the pm button, that should give you all the info required.

If not, click on the person involved, that will give the details, then contact them that way.

Good luck on your move. I had a fantastic 2 years out there, now in the Philippines.