Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Apartment to rent and share :)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:28 pm 

Hi there! :)

Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone is in a similar situation to myself! I'm heading out to Lanzarote in late April (Puerto del Carmen) and I'm eager to find a place to rent as I intend to stay for at least the summer period. Ideally I would like to share as well so if anyone is interested feel free to comment.

If anyone has done this before as well feel free to share your experience of finding work and accommodation!

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Apartment to rent and share :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:15 am 

Hi
Aware that you are not going to like this reply but these are the facts here,,,,,
,firstly you say for the summer...bear in mind you can only stay a maximum of 90 days without applying for ´´residencia´´ and your NIF/NIE numbers (your foreigners registration number)
secondly ..there is an acute shortage of long-term rentals here (defined here as being of over 3 months duration)...what there is, is expensive and hard to find in the tourist resorts so you could end up having to pay holiday letting rates until something comes up
thirdly---without a NIE/NIF and a social security number then you cannot work legally here...and speaking as an ex-employer and former business owner why would I or any other owner employ you ?....when there is a pool of 35% unemployed people here ..all with the appropriate paperwork already (yes that means that 1 in 3 of the people you pass in the street has no work and consequently as there is no benefit system here, no money as well and all are looking for that same job !!)
fourthly..If you did get work then expect to work 6 days a week ..around 60 to 70 hours for the average wage of 5€ an hour before deductions ..including such joys as finishing your shift at 0200 am and being back in work for your next one at 1000am the same day
Fifthly...there is no guarantee that if your face does not fit or trade declines that you will simply be sacked ...no warning ..no notice and definitely no benefits to fall back on
Sixthly...why would anyone employ staff, who are not here yet, just for the summer( which is actually not the busiest season..that being winter ...´´wintersun destination ´´ and all that )....when as well as the 35% unemployed the labour market is swelled by university students also looking for temporary work and as they are resident here already have the correct papers etc.AND more importantly spèak the local language as well !!

Aware that sitting in a damp, miserable country and wishing a better life in sunnier climes seems good....but the reality of work and finding accommodation here is vastly different from what you hoped.
If you do decide to go ahead one final point...in order to get residencia you will need a checkable amount of at least 4000€ (ideally in a Spanish bank account ) and private medical insurance to cover you initially whilst you are here ,and proof of a contract for both rental property and, hopefully , a contract of work...without these you will not be eligible to remain here past the initial 90 days
Sorry if this is not what you want to hear....but it is how it works here. However ¡ Buena Suerte! :D

Post subject: Re: Apartment to rent and share :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am 

Taking that all onboard and a good post for any budding long term potential person emigrating or retiring.
Though from your user name I suspect you are young free and 22 years old with not much care in the world, But smart enough to ask questions. Get yourself over and stay the summer, enjoy, your only young once.
All I would advise is make sure you have enough money to survive a month and to return home if you don't get fixed up. Obviously you have worked out accommodation is the key.

Remember to check your holiday insurance (post office or ASDA) covers you for longer than 90 days. There is work available, cleaning (property management companies), some bar work, PA ing, dishwashing. Try the diving companies, they are offering internships, you may not get paid but you can see if accommodation is included or they know of any. If you want it its there, if you don't really want it then its hard work.

Enjoy
You have plenty of time to Worry about the obstacles in your life when they come along .....I feel so sorry for the youngsters of today there is plenty of good ones out there looking for a break.