Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREXIT - Sell or Stick.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:53 am 

Hi
Norwegians like the Brits are subject to market forces too.....when I arrived here 10+ years ago there was a substantial number of Scandanavians here (even had their own bars etc)...however like the Brits during the recession numbers fell substantially :( ...bars etc closed and many returned ´´home´´...including several good friends :? .....recently as the recession has diminshed then numbers increased again....especially as like the UK the ´´el cheapo´´ airlines started flying here :lol: ....but again I expect numbers once again to fall if either a) the recession returns...or b) the Brits leave the EU but not to fall too dramatically cos as mentioned if the UK goes then so will the cheap flights :shock: and airlines will simply switch to countries still in the EU( or at least EU friendly places like Norway---which has a big population of ex-pat Spanish workers in their hospitality businesses) and offer cheap flights from there....no brainer really :) ...Trouble is the UK government thinks it is indespensable....got news for them!!,,, Spain and most of the EU is sick of their whinging .and wanting special terms----either stay and play nicely ...or take your ball home and sulk :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:08 am 

The leaders are all sucking up to Cameron on his whirlwind back me tour. I don't think a lot of the member countries can afford 55 million day. They would put up with the whinging all day every day its part of the brit, whinging poms make up. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:24 am 

Agree there :D ....sadly the ´´whinging pom´´ mentality often rears it (ugly) head in the ex-pat community here as well :twisted: ......but back to subject...Spain and in particular the Canaries have already made advance plans for a ´´Brexit´´( and the ensuing loss of tourism from there).....increasing their holiday destination advertising in many other (previously untapped) EU and non-EU locations :) ....and spreading awareness of the holiday advantages of a year-round holiday location. 8) 8) ,,,sucking up to a Brit prime minister who won because there was really no credible alternative at the time :wink: ..is pointless :? ....it is not him who matters...unfortunately the ´´Great British Public´´ will be entrusted with the right to say yes or no..... where the correct facts are not being disseminated sufficiently....based as Cymmon said on the availability of ´´sound-bites´´ one way or the other to sway the electorate :cry: ...and we all know how bad that is....you voted Cameron in again...lol :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 am 

This is a quote from the Open Europe Chairman, 23 March 2015

According to Open Europe's comprehensive new report, UK GDP could be 2.2% lower in 2030 if Britain leaves the EU and fails to strike a deal with the EU or reverts into protectionism. In a best case scenario, under which the UK manages to enter into liberal trade arrangements with the EU and the rest of the world, whilst pursuing large-scale deregulation at home, Britain could be better off by 1.6% of GDP in 2030. However, a far more realistic range is between a 0.8% permanent loss to GDP in 2030 and a 0.6% permanent gain in GDP in 2030, in scenarios where Britain mixes policy approaches.

"Brexit is unlikely to be the cataclysmic event some have claimed. However, transforming Britain into the deregulated, free trading economy it would need to become outside the EU sounds easy in theory, but in practice could come up against some serious political resistance within the UK itself. The worst scenario is if the UK leaves the EU and then pursues protectionist policies. If the UK puts as much effort into reforming the EU as it would have to in order to make a success of Brexit, the UK and the EU would both be better off.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:49 am 

Personally I am labour historically, however I must admit Cameron was my choice in the last election, but I didn't vote as I was out the country at the time and the proxy was not achievable. My choice based on yes the lack of creditable opposition and party disarray which I feel is still not resolved to this day. In regards to Brexit and Cameron standing by his word to a referendum is testament to him.
After last nights coming together of sorts and dictations by Belgium, France and Czechoslovakia, it looks as though the wheels could be falling off and a walk away could happen.
Good post deep-six and not too sure on stats 15 years ahead as there is too many probable's and preventable`s thrown in the mix and risk matrix of real time.
It fails to mention the oil shelf off Kent larger than the North Sea reserves and a lot easier to lift with todays technology of Horizontal Drilling.
It fails to mention the South Atlantic reserves (Falklands), so come 2030 we could be on par with Norway GDP and wealth if its not used as collateral guarantees this time round and the second bite at the cherry . We would have to bolster defence first before to counter the Argentinians. Maybe that's the stealth master plan to exit? Who Knows? Or perhaps one concern of the Euro land locked nations as well as the coastal nations who have hit dusters on previous explorations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:07 pm 

Britain leaving or staying won't have much effect either way.

And if it were to have a big effect, I've yet to hear anyone clearly explain how.

Globalisation seems to have had a much bigger influence but it's not an easy media story like Brexit. Sky News and even BBC News have a rolling commentary on it the last few days.

The whole 24-hour negotiations look more like theatre than serious political debate. If it really mattered, it would never have got to the current stage-managed circus.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:23 am 

Just curious :?: .......but have Cameron, Farage et al and the ´´Great British Public´´ considered just how many ex-pats who currently live/reside in the EU will flee back to ´´Blighty´´ if you do leave. :shock: ...the cost alone to your social security and benefit systems could by far outweigh any saving you make on current membership costs(according to figures in excess of 2 million Brits live in the EU...1 million of them in Spain alone) :cry: ...plus aggravate your housing crisis :x ,,,,put a huge strain on already stretched NHS facilities :oops: ...and put your unemployment figures into orbit :(....or have they in this era of ´´sound-bites´´ conveniently forgot to actually answer this question?? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:15 pm 

Lanzaliker wrote:
Personally I am labour historically, however I must admit Cameron was my choice in the last election, but I didn't vote as I was out the country at the time and the proxy was not achievable. My choice based on yes the lack of creditable opposition and party disarray which I feel is still not resolved to this day. In regards to Brexit and Cameron standing by his word to a referendum is testament to him.
After last nights coming together of sorts and dictations by Belgium, France and Czechoslovakia, it looks as though the wheels could be falling off and a walk away could happen.
Good post deep-six and not too sure on stats 15 years ahead as there is too many probable's and preventable`s thrown in the mix and risk matrix of real time.
It fails to mention the oil shelf off Kent larger than the North Sea reserves and a lot easier to lift with todays technology of Horizontal Drilling.
It fails to mention the South Atlantic reserves (Falklands), so come 2030 we could be on par with Norway GDP and wealth if its not used as collateral guarantees this time round and the second bite at the cherry . We would have to bolster defence first before to counter the Argentinians. Maybe that's the stealth master plan to exit? Who Knows? Or perhaps one concern of the Euro land locked nations as well as the coastal nations who have hit dusters on previous explorations.

Wouldn't the South Atlantic reserves belong to the Falklands and not UK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:29 pm 

Not when you look at the licence blocks and BPs commitment down there. 1981-82 was not about sheep. Neither is Syria, Iraq, Russia.
There is a pipeline proposal from Iran to the Med.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:49 am 

Boris has finally thrown his hat into the ring, albeit by text to Cameron. The Euro is holding its own this morning and no impact as yet. I wouldn't like to speculate what it will be on the morning of the 24th June. If its still around.
The amusing part is we have Corbyn, Sturgeon and Cameron on the same side. With Tory front benchers on the opposite side.
I see were Gib and the Lords are getting a vote.
The way the land and marine border controls impacted them (Gib) last year, I have a funny feeling they and the fishermen will want out majority wise.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:38 am 

Hahaha :D :D :D ...Don´t worry about the euro......just watch your own currency take a dive :roll:
If Gib pulled out then border controls (and taxes :? 8) ) ) would increase,,,meaning they would have to rely more on air or sea cargo...thus increasing their costs....not rocket science there :(
Anyway ´´que sera..sera´´...... 8) :lol:....not really bothered ..have applied for Spanish citizenship (much better...pension at 65 ,unlike UK who inform me I now have to wait till 67..at the moment who know what the age will be in the future....freedom to visit and reside in any EU country.) and what happens to a ´´Place in the sun´´ on Channel 4 now :?: :?: ..not the same if they produce ´´A place in a small, damp, insignificant island in the North Atlantic with no mates´´...is it :oops: :D :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:39 pm 

LOL.....Who knows, certainly not us and the next few months will be very interesting to say the least. I do feel for expat pensioners though, having to come home for residential care. The retirement plan is a short lived one in many cases and freehold purchases overseas with inheritance and double wills. :shock: How many qualifying years does a person need in the System (currently) to qualify for Spanish pension?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:58 pm 

Copied from ´´Spanish pension benefits ´´ in English
´´Minimum Pension

Anyone retiring without having made the minimum of 15 years of pension contributions will get the bare minimum "welfare" pension which is currently set at 340€ a month (but paid 14 times a year so annually 4,756€ a year).

Contributory Pension

Having paid social security for 15 years (2 of which must have been in the last ten years before retirment) it is possible to claim a contributory pension based on a combination of the amount of years contributions and the amount actually paid, but there is a minimum which is considerably more than the welfare pension: 588€ a month or 8,229€ a year, rising to 10,152€ a year if you are married to someone who has no pension. Those who have made the maximum contributions can receive up to 35,000€ pa.´´

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:26 pm 

I will add my vote to the OUT camp as I think cameron does not realise how sick and tired the vast majority of the british public are of this money grabbing undemocratic organisation, and when we do leave we will survive as we always have and we will be able to to run our country the way we want.
As they say life goes on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:37 pm 

SPARKYMARK wrote:
I will add my vote to the OUT camp as I think cameron does not realise how sick and tired the vast majority of the british public are of this money grabbing undemocratic organisation, and when we do leave we will survive as we always have and we will be able to to run our country the way we want.
As they say life goes on.

I have to laugh at the average Brit complaining abut the EU being undemocratic but are happy to have the House of Lords and the Monarchy. Try explaining the HoL to the average European and they will give that WTF? look as if you are kidding them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next