Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BREXIT - Sell or Stick.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 am 

Well here we go again with either ´´selective memory´´ or a person who was born after the UK joined the EU :( .....and clearly does not remember the following things which were common in the UK before joining...things such as ..wage freezes...the pound regularly being de-valued....restrictions on the amount of currency you could take abroad.....no reciprocal health care so requiring expensive private holiday insurance......goods that were imported costing much more than domestically produced (usually inferior quality) items....the actual cost of going abroad on holiday when there were no inter-european cheap flights.. everything you ordered or brought back from Europe attracting customs duty,,,,,,,and much much more :oops: :( :( ......oh well I suppose if you are insular enough :roll: to think that the UK can ´´go it alone´´ in todays world then voting to leave will appear good...in the short term :shock: .....but over time :?: :?: :?: :lol:
The pound has already started to fall since Cameron announced the date of the ´´plebiscite´´(sounds so much more appropriate than ´´referendum´´ I think :lol: :lol: )
Remember the immortal words of a former UK prime minister as regards the voters (and he was Tory too :wink: )
Quote ´´“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
― Winston S. Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:47 am 

Hi Lanzalocal, I am not sure how you work out the Spanish pension is better than the U.K. pension. The U.K. pension from April 6th 2016 is £156 per person a week. Which at 1.28 exchange rate = Euro 798 a month or Euro 9, 576 per annum. Then what happens when the time arrives and the expats need care. I am not sure if the rest homes will accept Euros or reduced pension payments.

As we are already not in the Euro, it was the best decision we (as a nation) ever made and I cant see it having any impact whatsoever on how much you can cary on you. But to be honest, who carries money these days?
Recipricol heathe care, your having a laugh, Lanzarote is the worst offender.
I would also rather be governened by Westminster other than Corbyn, who have been voted in, than a bunch of free loading Eurocrats. As an example, as nice as it all looks on the eye, where do all the lovely dual carriageways on the Circumvicular lead to as your heading towards CT or Tahiche or Ceasars Roundabout then....Nowhere. Its just a total waste of European legislation gone crazy. I say as an example because the U.K. also has many examples.

Its 42yrs since Ted Heath led us in, anyone 18 yrs old then will be 60 now, So anyone below 60 (4 generations) have known nothing but recessions, redundancies, euro demographics, and a lot of unemployment to the tune on average 2.5 million have not worked.
Hope fully they will have the gumption to take a leap into the dark and let the spirit shine through which has be taken away from them for so long.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:54 am 

Originally I did reply to your post ..answering all your points correctly and in depth.....then I thought why :?: ,,,,obviously not going to change your position ...so have decided to delete that post....wish you luck in your decision to vote to leave ...after all Europe does not need a dissenting voice when the future is for more co-operation..not less....so enjoy being a´´Billy-no-mates´´ country :( ...hope it brings you what you want...however I doubt it ,,,anyway ....Buena Suerte 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:47 am 

Here's an interesting question. If we vote no, when do we leave? This could affect many people who have already booked holidays, like myself.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:23 pm 

Hi Robert....would not be an overnight thing......the following article from Wikipaedia gives a time scale
´´The Treaty of Lisbon introduced an exit clause for members who wish to withdraw from the Union. Under TEU Article 50, a Member State would notify the European Council of its intention to secede from the Union and a withdrawal agreement would be negotiated between the Union and that State. The Treaties would cease to be applicable to that State from the date of the agreement or, failing that, within two years of the notification unless the State and the Council both agree to extend this period. The agreement is concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council and shall set out the arrangements for withdrawal, including a framework for the State's future relationship with the Union. The agreement is to be approved by the Council, acting by qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament. A former Member State seeking to rejoin the European Union would be subject to the same conditions as any other applicant country.

This system gives a negotiated withdrawal, due to the complexities of leaving the EU (particularly concerning the euro). However it does include in it a strong implication of a unilateral right to withdraw. This is through the fact the state would decide "in accordance with its own constitutional requirements" and that the end of the treaties' application in said state is not dependent on any agreement being reached (it would occur after two years regardless).[1]

The remaining members of the EU would also need to undertake negotiations on how to make the necessary changes to the EU's budgets, voting allocations and policies´´

so no need to panic.....will take probably the rest of Camerons Govt term to withdraw...something most people are probably unaware of ...then there is the matter of 78 MEPS needing jobs or dole payments.....plus associated Brit employees of the EU...more expense eh :oops: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm 

I thought it was 73 fresh air wasters, wives secretary's, chauffer's, cars and PAs. Business class twice a week and huge expenses.
That's a start, good riddance.
Dole? They will have over 16k in savings so there is 73 savings. Cameron is tipped to be gone at the end of the year but he's not standing anyway for a second term independently.

I'm looking forward to my time on the island out of it (if it happens).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:10 pm 

Lanzaliker wrote:
I thought it was 73 fresh air wasters, wives secretary's, chauffer's, cars and PAs. Business class twice a week and huge expenses.
That's a start, good riddance.
Dole? They will have over 16k in savings so there is 73 savings. Cameron is tipped to be gone at the end of the year but he's not standing anyway for a second term independently.

I'm looking forward to my time on the island out of it (if it happens).

When I was living in the Netherlands I spent a weekend at a nice hotel in a place called Valkenburg about 130km from Brussels and there happened to be an MEP there with his family who I got talking to at the bar and he was telling me that he spent no more than 10hrs a week working has an MEP in Brussels thinking that I would be happy for him!!!
I'd had a few G&T's by that time so I thought it be best that I just walk away...which a did :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:20 am 

Exactly, look at Neil and Glynis for the past twenty years 8 flights in and out of Cardiff or Heathrow. For what? To tell us we cant eat bent carrots or cucumbers and sex education has to be on a ten year olds curriculum.

No thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:07 am 

The Bendy Bananas story is a myth invented by the British press (not renowned for objective reporting).
It stems from the classification of foods, with many fruit and vegetables being classed into Class I, II III, etc.
There was never a ban on bendy bananas, simply a standard for classifying them according to size and shape.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:32 am 

Well pointed out PBlanca......Brit press is renowned (NOT) for its well-researched (HaHa) objective :shock: and euro-phobic(very) reporting style. :? :? :(
Still they usually manage to get the footy results right :roll: :wink: :lol:.....mind you ...am still waiting for that windfall my horoscope promised me in the Mirror 12 years ago :oops: :cry: :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:27 pm 

Lanzalocal - you have some very good interesting posts - I hope you don't mind me say though that your use of so many smilies detracts from your posts as it's extremely distracting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm 

Hi Marymouse......take on board your point :( ....but find that using ´´emoticons´´ on an online debate is similar to the vocal intonation you would use in ´´normal´´ debate :) ....also that the post is not too serious....I accept that various people have very differing takes on the both anti and pro european ´´propaganda´´ produced by both camps...and allow that every person has a right to a view and opinion and a vote on the subject...also that some people actually believe the ´´mis-information ´´ spouted by both camps....
Just hope that the ocassional ´´smiley´´ makes a point that I feel optimistic rather than pessimistic :D and that the odd jibe is meant in ´´fun´´ rather than expressing an opinion which without the ´´smileys´´ could cause offence.Sorry but :lol: :lol: :lol: ´s rule OK :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:48 pm 

LOL.....Thanks for the emoticon explanation :)

Who mentioned banana's :shock: :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:50 pm 

And yet other contributors to this forum manage to be understood without turning their posts into a visionary nightmare. I'm afraid I wont be using this forum anymore as a result of this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:55 pm 

Oh well :( sorry that you feel that way.... :cry: ....but as I said you are entitled to do what you think is best for you.... :wink:
PS the mrs. thinks I am a ´´visionary nightmare´´ too :evil: ..albeit for other reasons :oops: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next