Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BREXIT - Sell or Stick.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:24 am 

If the referendum goes with Brexit and possibly Borris. The implications for the rest of Europe, particularly the Euro is a huge concern and the impact on house sales, holiday - retirement homes. Will Europe, the Euro and the house market survive? I am sure the later will. But I am not too sure on the first two.
The housing market at the moment is moving in Lanza, will it continue will it collapses or how long would it be before a new currency would start up and evolve? Sell or stick is a harder question than In or out in the U.K..

Post subject: Re: BREXIT - Sell or Stick.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:52 pm 

The question as I see it is manyfold....firstly the euro will remain the currency of the EU...Britain has never been in it so it will not be affected :o
secondly ...you may find a return to the ´´bad old days´´ of having to pay a tourist tax to holiday in the EU if not from a member state :?
thirdly.....IMO the housing market will suffer...as Brits sell up due to increased taxes for ´´foreign´´ i.e non-EU home owners....but not to worry as the EU will simply expand further and take in more countries who actually want to be a member of the club ....rather than those who want to keep changing the rules even though financially they are not in the fiscal union (ie the UK) :roll:
Fourthly ....like many here I feel either you are in or out ...not only ´´play if you can win ´´so we shall have to wait and see what the referendum brings....but shall be polishing off my Spanish citizen application forms sooner rather than later 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:00 am 

Good thoughts and smiles and jovial there Lanzalocal, not too sure about the Euro remaining, 26 million a day fees so we have very much been in it. Just a case of rates differential. Very much the same as the Euro lottery, we are still in it and because of the exchange rate we get a raffle ticket also. In the EU its just one big tombola. haha

2nd Tourist tax yes they could try that, but gamble on say 80% of there GDP.

3rd I agree with you, I think it will suffer badly, but financially, due to exchange rates, potential collapse or bankrupt states pulling out.
Is they any current difference now for a foreigner owning a house to a European? Like a Norwegian as an example.
Will the BLACK money scenario on sales re appear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:15 am 

Sorry, yes I agree with you regards the expansion of the Euro Zone to other Countries, but what surprises does that bring for Spain and its Islands? With the likes of the former soviet states, Arabic nations, North Africa and the Indian subs.....
I would leave the citizen form firmly in the draw gathering dust Abdullah :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:34 pm 

I don't think we need to worry about leaving the EU.
The UK imports huge amounts of European goods and foods, much more than they import from us. We employ hundreds of thousands of people from the EU. Each year UK tourists spend millions of pounds on holiday in EU countries. We spend fortunes on our villas and apartments.
The EU need us to keep them afloat - do you really think they would put that at risk by penalising us
with taxes and import duties etc? No, they would accept it and hope we would carry on buying their goods and spending our money in their countries.
What we do have to worry about is that if we vote to stay in then they would really 'tighten the noose' and it would be good bye to Great Britain.
The UK is an economic powerhouse and is vital to Europe in or out of the EU. We do not need the EU and it's corruption, taxes, rules and regulations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:35 pm 

In terms of arms and military strength, I am not so naïve to think that we (U.K.) can go alone.
In terms of housing market (Lanza), I think they will de value along with the Euro if it survives.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:50 pm 

According to Cameron's deal the noose would be slackened and more flexibility in agreements.
However I think he is way off the mark and out of touch with the feelings of the general public and electorate on Jobs, borders, asylum and the rest of the welfare system of bedroom tax etc.
I can see an impact on EU Residents and non EU residents with home ownership within the EU. basically all the readers on here. Thanks for your thoughts and debate Thomasb, Lanzalocal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:55 pm 

The Spanish, as well as other countries, have seen what happens when the Brits stop spending - absolute disaster. They need us and they know it.
Look at all the German and French cars on UK roads, are they going to stop selling to us if we leave the UK? I doubt it.
On the other hand what do we get from the EU ? Not a lot and it costs us 55 Million pounds a day - we must be mad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:17 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well thomasb.... actually speaking as a former business owner in Spain...err we do not actually ´´need ´´ you......plenty of customers are now coming from the emerging Eastern European nations...and as proved when the ash cloud shut down flights from here to UK nobody went bust ..trade still continued ...despite there being no one coming in from your island for several weeks
Foreign cars would still be imported to the UK (have to be as your previous Govts allowed your car industry to close down :roll:..... and not being in the EU means you will have to pay more for them as well :twisted: :roll: :D )
When you joined you pretty much said goodbye to your alternative (Commonwealth) trade markets so rely big time on pan-European sales ...without which you would soon be in the depths of a mega-recession ( and no one to bail you out either :shock: )
So thanks for your somewhat isolationist thoughts and think we can guess how you will be voting :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:53 am 

I seem to remember the ash cloud only impacting Lanza for about ten days to two weeks or there about, in which time they was already stranded holiday makers on the island. So not creating a GAP or impact of severity. Whilst others made their way through mainland Spain both ways. Hence not really a measure or justification of impact of a fleeing nations holiday makers. Saying that I think they will always be holiday makers in Lanza, for the one and only reason, the sun. Without it, as we know it can be a pretty boring or repetitive place when cloudy.
The DAESH situation and on the flip side to Sharm, Tunisia, Turkey, Paris and on a weekly threat basis traffic has increased to Lanza across the winter months. Hence I would envisage that as a consequential risk should BREXIT go ahead and the EU expands its borders. Whilst likewise I also consider it is already a risk so close to North Africa and we should all be vigilant of our surroundings or changes.

Which is all ingredients to the original topic, Sell or Stick thoughs. In or Out. Does it suit Lanza or the Lanza housing market? Which ever way, its good to see the thoughts of EU and potential Non EU citizens. Iam not sure if you guys are pensioners. Which will be another interesting scenario of the final outcome.
It certainly is going to be an interesting year ahead and beyond. To the point the implications could be way beyond our imagination, or not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:31 pm 

It has to be stick to the EU.

Last edited by cymmon on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:31 pm 

It has to be stick to the EU.

Most of the stories to get the UK to leave the EU are scare stories with no foundation or proof.

Yes we pay lots of money into Europe, so do all the other countries BUT we make much more than we pay out.

Easy jet love the EU because they are able to make good money with much less red tape. You have Wizz air able to run cross border and non based services. So once you hit the UK you have the APD, that's what makes my flights so expensive. The taxes to leave the UK for me are up to £500, but to return only £150. Europe don't dictate this price, it's the UK government.... So who is kidding who?

It's time people actually were given the REAL facts rather than fed sound bites to increase attack on immigrants and also stop the friends of the government making money out of the scaremongering. This UK government are only interested in funding their friends, not actually looking after the British people. If the UK leaves the EU, you can see expats paying a hell of a lot more in taxes, exchange rates, and also getting permits to actually reside in Europe, the place that the UK has alienated with its inconsistent rantings......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:49 am 

WOW, thanks, this opens a whole new spectrum. Taxes, exchange rates, inheritance, purchase, selling, renting, (legally or other), Spanish Will`s, Health care. It could be a completely different ball game in 5 months time. What a minefield.
I should imagine a lot of people are on HOLD with plans for the future or considering their options. IN, OUT or no choice if Non EU Resident,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:25 pm 

I try to help, currently in Manchester Airport on my way back to the Philippines.

But think of exchange rates: buy € at €1.32 to the pound, but they buy back commission free at €1.12, who's kidding who?

Maybe in a fit of Pique, Europe will introduce visas like Turkey do? That will add to the cost. Airlines will have to arrange fares in either £ or € with the resulting loss/gain of revenue due to daily fluctuations.

No betting that the airlines will raise flight prices to counteract the fluctuations of the £1, as most of the destinations will be Eurozone, that will adversely affect £ based fares....

A very hidden can of worms, the EHIC card maybe discontinued therefore increasing travel and health insurance prices.

We are never told this truth, but only given scare stories of how bad Europe is. Maybe we need to be told how bad the UK is in respect to Europe? We want the parts that make money for the government, but want to get rid of the parts that can help tourists into Europe.

Thought provoking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:37 pm 

The only other nation expats I can think off which may very well be impacted out of their comfort zones or control is Norwegians. Which I understand there is a large community of expats and visitors.