Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BRIAN BORU BAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:32 pm 

just wondering if the irish girl nat who was pr for brian boru is still working there? and if the irish guy with the bald head paul is still there? was over there in august had a blast with them and i am returning there for xmas. loved this bar

Post subject: Re: BRIAN BORU BAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:19 pm 

Was there last week. Nice bar shame about the drink prices. I can understand a bit extra at night when there is entertainment, but not during the daytime when the only ones there are yourself and the bookie.

There again, as an Irishman why should I be surprised at high prices in Irish bars?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 am 

i didnt mind paying the price for the drink at least i knew i was getting the real thing i found in most of the other bars over there especially down at the main centre they were serving literally paint thinner in a glass. plus in this bar everynite from 9 till 10 was happy hour :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:38 pm 

funboy wrote:
i didnt mind paying the price for the drink at least i knew i was getting the real thing i found in most of the other bars over there especially down at the main centre they were serving literally paint thinner in a glass. plus in this bar everynite from 9 till 10 was happy hour :D

I think "most of the other bars over there" whether they are in the main centre of not, would take exception to that statement.

And many bars have happy hours. Spenders for example has a happy hour all day until 7.30 pm I think when a good pint of San costs €1.50. Compare that to €4.00 I was charged in the Brian Boru.

I dont have a problem with higher prices when there is entertainment. The problem with the Irish bars is that they charge the higher prices during the day when there is no entertainment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:49 pm 

I had a happy few hours in Spenders :D great bar :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 pm 

have to agree with frank i was charged 4 euro for a bottle of heineken sorry its over priced

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:54 am 

Why do the "Irish" bars seem to charge so much more that the other bars?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:54 am 

djrickyb wrote:
Why do the "Irish" bars seem to charge so much more that the other bars?

Dont know where you are from Rick but Id say you are not Irish.

If you were then you would know that Irish pubs are one of the most expensive in europe to drink in. Currently they are having a bad time of it and blame everything from the government to the smoking ban. The price of drink according to them has nothing to do with it.

"Irish" pubs abroad, where mostly there is not an Irish person to be found in ownership or management, seem to think that they can charge what they like.

As I said earlier, I can put up with a bit extra when there is entertainment provided ( and in fairness the "Irish" pars in Lanza usually have the best entertainment), but what excuse is there for the high prices during the day. It doesnt make any sense to be charging €4 for a pint when you can get one for €1.50 next door

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:43 am 

I can’t speak for every Irish bar but I do know that many charge much more than others, Keane’s in PDC near Fariones is one. If there’s entertainment on then fine but the rest of the time I can’t think why people would pay higher prices, it’s not like the bars are any more plush etc. I had thought it was just that Irish people preferred to drink in Irish bars and were happy to pay the prices since they compared well to Ireland. Personally I won’t be returning to keane’s, lesson learned there, but it’s a bit unfair to pick out just one, I know there’s others.
BTW it’s not all Irish bars, REDZ2 near Linekers is Irish and prices are sensible and it’s very friendly, Charlies’ prices are a tad more than some bars but reasonable since it’s in C/Atlantico and you get the best Live music on the island and Brenan Behan’s by the Biosfera has a 2-4-1 happy hour (not sure it’s still open though).
Ole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:38 am 

Yes my apologies to REDZ2 which is owned by people who come from my part of Ireland. I spent a good bit of time there recently and was pleasantly surprised to get pints of Amstel for €2. Also have to say that whilst I did not encounter one Irish member of staff, those I did meet were extremely friendly.

For my part I want to drink the best beer at the best price and I dont really care if the bar is Irish, British, Spanish or otherwise.

I can assure you that there is a common feeling amongst Irish drinkers/holidaymakers that the place they will pay the highest prices, is in Irish bars be they at home or abroad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:59 pm 

What is happening with the Brian Boru??
Heard that Rob (the owner), Teresa, Charlie, Marcus were not there :x :x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:52 am 

is this true?thats sad to hear they all made the brian boru what it was. a great friendly irish bar with a great atmosphere. has the bar closed down?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 pm 

Bars with bookies, i would suggest the old town sports bar much cheaper than the Irish bars, with full satellite set up, sky, setanta, showtime, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 pm 

Dont be jealous!!
Just cause the Brian Boru is better than yours :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:44 pm 

frankmac2 wrote:
Was there last week. Nice bar shame about the drink prices. I can understand a bit extra at night when there is entertainment, but not during the daytime when the only ones there are yourself and the bookie.

There again, as an Irishman why should I be surprised at high prices in Irish bars?

I agree with what most of the posts have said on this subject of the Irish bars charging more than the others, i was in majorca in april (last minute hol) and the only irish bar in the resort charged 2euros a pint more than anyother bar the irish are used to paying higher prices cause they pay it in southern ireland anyway, i am in lanza in sept but wont be going in the irish bars entertainment or not, will try spenders and some others though.