Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Broadband and TV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:07 pm 

We have villa in Costa Teguise that we use for about 3 months of the year at various times. The TV that we have at present receives hardly any channels so we are thinking of installing broadband (Movistar have quoted a package at €38ish a month) and then we would like to get some English channels through the internet onto our TV rather than tablet or laptop. The broadband installation appears to be fairly straightforward but I'm very confused as to where I go from there. If I wanted BBC and ITV channels plus maybe some kids channels, what would be my best option? Buying a set top box outright - are there any other costs once this has been bought? Or do I pay a monthly subscription? Also, my TV is not a Smart TV - does this cause issues?
I would be grateful for any advice from anyone that has found the best option.

Post subject: Re: Broadband and TV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:04 pm 

Plug a tablet or laptop, or Android box such as a Minix into the TV and the router, and use Filmon, or one of the xbmc apps, or a VPN and BBC iPlayer, ITV Player etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:28 am 

Thanks for the information John and sorry not to have got back sooner. I have looked at the Minix that you mention and wonder if I could purchase this in the UK or is it a different version in the Canaries? I would then plug this into the TV and the router. Then I would use Filmon or similar - does this need setting up each time or does the Minix box keep the settings? I would then be able to watch "live" TV from certain channels (BBC and ITV for example)? In your experience, is there a minimum broadband speed I would need so that it doesn't buffer all the time?
Sorry to ask these questions but as you will gather, I'm a complete novice just looking for the best option!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

It is the same box in either country. You don't actually need xbmc, that just collects links to channels. You can set up Filmon directly. Minix is a tiny Android computer, like a tablet without a screen.
You can also practice with Filmon and xbmc on a PC before you buy a Minix. Realistically you need about 2 mb/ to work, but more is better. I'd get a Minix Neo 5 or better a 7. Wifi doesn't work very well in my experience, so I'd get a long enough ethernet cable to reach your router. Minix comes with a tiny remote, so you can drive it from the TV chair but for tricky stuff when you are setting it up , you can use a cheap USB wired or cordless mouse and or a USB keyboard

As I said, you can do all this on a PC or laptop, but the Minix box frees up your PC, and when set up, is more like the old set top boxes before smart TV.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:45 am 

John - many thanks for you reply. All is now clear and I really appreciate your time in getting back to me!