Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Business Was Tough Enough!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:47 am 

Really feel for the business in Lanza with this mess.
Saw this on Charlies Website:
***Important Note***
Due to the disruption to flights caused by the volcanic ash and the cost of Protestant chickens, Charlie´s Bar will be closed until next Saturday, 24 April, inclusive.
The Craic´n Ceol will be open as usual, with some of the Charlies Musicians appearing there
live every night, including Mooney and Pat.
Must be losing some money :x

Post subject: Re: Business Was Tough Enough!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 pm 

It really shows how businesses on the island are exposed to singular events - such as a random act of nature thousands of miles away.

Whatever other contingency plans you might have, it's probably fair to say that very few people on the island have a back-up when it comes to flights being grounded for nigh on a week (and counting).

I assume 'Volcanic eruption in Iceland causing airports to shut' wasn't on many people's list-of-things-that-could-go-wrong when they drew up their business plan.

Here's hoping things start moving sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:08 pm 

playa blanca is dead at night. I suppose this is partly because people on self catering packages are now being fed and watered by their tour operators.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm 

We are living in Corralejo but will soon be moving to PB.
I have a market stall and we have just given up this week.
Normally do really well but on Monday didn't sell a thing and more than half the traders at Baku stayed away.
Hope this gets better soon for everyone. We have plans to expand in Lanzarote, having a few more stalls and creating some work for people but right now it is a nightmare.
Doesn't help that we just got ripped off in a property scam :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm 

cheesebag wrote:
playa blanca is dead at night. .

Wasn't it always ? Compared to PDC I mean....... :wink:

Well in a sense you're right. The Rock bar in Centro Commercial Papagay has gone and been replaced by a lounge of some sort. Looks quite nice actually, - but veeery few people. Wax Bar and Jungle Bar still doing their best on the disco side of things together with the latino "Tu Candela" in Centro Commercial Punta Limones. But weekends only. All places do get quite lively on a late saturday night,- but apart from that nothing. The Irish pub Old Mill in PB center is normally packed every night until the live music stops around midninght. On the other side of the port is the Irish Anvil struggling, with very few people again so it's a mixed sort of feeling...

How the owners of karaoke bars like Rooftops are able to pay their rent, I dont understand. But then I never did like karaoke much.

After midnight during weekdays, PB is not much of a nightlife.......

Marina Rubicon is dead from 11 onwards, but was again always like that. At least the years I have been visiting and those are guite a few......

I tried to count how many shops are empty and up for rent or sale in PB the other day. After a while I lost count...

Still compared to Arrecife it is nothing. I did a similar exercise there today, - and that is truly scary.... :shock:

"The more I learn the less I know...."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:18 am 

Thats a bit harsh!!!

Was v. lively when we went in February - I was amazed how busy it was.

Rooftops seems to tick over and then has some big bashes back every couple of weeks.....

That whole commercial development where the anvil is, is falling down and looking seriously shabby now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 am 

foodie wrote:

Was v. lively when we went in February - I was amazed how busy it was.

At night ??? :shock:

Where ??? :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:45 am 

All along the front in the town. Restaurants were packed. And the bars in the Dorada commercial centre was heaving.

Anvil was jammed for the rugby but stank of grease and burgers - they really have to sort out the kitchen extractors in there!!! Couldn't stay long was oppressive!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 am 

Quote:
playa blanca is dead at night.

I have to disagree as well - you probably just have to go out later!
It's obviously busier at the weekends, but Wax, Atlantis, Jungle and All Sports tend to be stuffed on Wednesday nights as well. Usually quiet until after midnight though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:06 pm 

With things as they are, I'm pretty sure that 3 cancelled flights to Lanzarote tomorrow is not what businesses need!

At present, the following UK departures for Thursday 22nd April have been cancelled:

TOM 172 East Midlands – Goa

TOM2410 Manchester – Alicante

TOM4418 London Gatwick – Faro

TOM4446 London Gatwick - Alicante
TOM1410 Newcastle - Faro

TOM5420 London Stansted – Lanzarote

TOM2402 Manchester – Lanzarote

TOM4404 London Gatwick – Lanzarote

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 pm 

I am really hoping that business picks up.
This has been my worst week ever and we just didn't work on tuesday or today because Monday was so bad>
I hope for everyones sake the new arrivals are not just all inclusive who sit around the pool and dont spend any money.
Fingers crossed .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:04 pm 

Well fingers crossed we will be out on the 9th of may with no problems. We are self catering and always visit different placesin CT. Hope this is the end of all the disruption now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 pm 

familyjones wrote:
I am really hoping that business picks up.
This has been my worst week ever and we just didn't work on tuesday or today because Monday was so bad>
I hope for everyones sake the new arrivals are not just all inclusive who sit around the pool and dont spend any money.
Fingers crossed .

Well, - I have tried to count how many different colors I have seen on plastic bracelets....... :wink:

It may not be as many as you see in the font colour table on your right, - but the number is certainly increasing. And as you suggest, - the money spent by the bracelet crowd may be less than for the ones without plastic bands. BUT I wonder where Lanzarote would have been without them right now......

What strikes me is how little they get to see of this paradise if all they do is hang around the pool... :(

And all inclusive may in fact not be much cheaper than self catering these days.....

I just spotted a sign today offering a full menu meal for 7 Euros in Macher (The Garden center restaurant) and that is cheap... :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 pm 

zocoloco wrote:
familyjones wrote:
I just spotted a sign today offering a full menu meal for 7 Euros in Macher (The Garden center restaurant) and that is cheap... :D

That´s scary or were you joking? €7 is normal anywhere else in mainland Spain for a full menu. Maybe it´s just time Lanzarote got realistic about how much it can charge tourists?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:05 pm 

Lis48 wrote:
zocoloco wrote:
familyjones wrote:

That´s scary or were you joking? €7 is normal anywhere else in mainland Spain for a full menu. Maybe it´s just time Lanzarote got realistic about how much it can charge tourists?

May be....... :roll:

But on the PB waterfront you'd easily have to pay 7 euros for a starter only (Shrimps in Garlic as an example), and places like Brisa Marina and Roca Mar don't seem to have a problem with that. Compared to that, 7 euros for a full menu appears cheap.......

That said, I dont think I have ever seen a full menu in Valencia or Barcelona priced at 7 Euros, - not to mention Madrid. But then I did not walk the back streets and I never really looked for it either...... :wink: