Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Buying in Lanzarote advice please.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:54 pm 

Hi, I'm planning to buy a property in Puerto del Carmen/Playa Blanca, it will be a holiday home for my family, if anyone can offer any advice on Estate agents (are there any I should avoid), lawyers , what's the market like at present?. I would be so grateful for any tips. Many Thanks. Sharon

Last edited by sharon 1 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Buying in Lanzarote adive please.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:41 pm 

Freedom properties based in Playa Blanca. We bought through them

Post subject: Re: Buying in Lanzarote advice please.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:31 pm 

Thanks Nica.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:55 am 

Hi
Market is very bouyant at the moment....few if any ´´bargains ´´ to be had.....in fact prices are the highest I have seen in nearly 10 years of living here......whether this continues with the recent news of yet another predicted world-wide recession or crashes (heavily) as was the result of the last one we shall have to wait and see :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:08 pm 

For a lawyer I can recommend Mario Izquierdo.
He found issues with our potential purchase that others may not have uncovered - whilst it meant that unfortunately we could not proceed, better to have found out now.

He also has an English secretary (Ginny) which helps with translation, although Mario's English is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:39 pm 

Having recently bought in Lanzarote, the buying process was not that tricky BUT we did have a local solicitor (Rafael at ASG) which I would say is a must.

Estate agents can offer services to help you through the buying process, but you need to remember that they are not regulated like they are in the UK and I can say that I have seen some indulge in practices which would amount to a criminal offence in the UK, but apparently acceptable in Lanzarote. At least with a solicitor if it all goes wrong you have a chance of sorting it out through their professional body.

My second tip would be to expect to spend far more than you intended. When you buy a property in Lanzarote, you pay the the equivalent of VAT on the purchase price not the seller (a bit like stamp duty here), but the figures are much larger! In my experience you need to allow 15% of the purchase price on top to cover tax, the charges the bank makes for issuing the cheques (these came to over 1000€ for us), the notary (just under 1000€) solicitors fees, utilities fees (nearly 800€ for us), insurance. All this before you have even bought a stick of furniture or a beach towel.

You can see the same property on lots of websites with different prices attached so it can be difficult to find out what the price is. As a rule of thumb, if it is a new build, try and buy from the developer (I have seen such properties for sale via agents who are charging 10,000€ on top of the developer price). Never agree to buy anything you haven't seen yourself (l know that seems a bit unlikely, but I do know of a case) because the photos on line will to necessarily photos of the property for sale.

Lastly don't expect to get a bargain or negotiate the price down. Again, in my experience, the price was the price and no one was interested in taking an offer below the asking price, though I know others might have had a better experience.

Despite all the doom and gloom which my reply suggests, we couldn't be happier with what we bought and wish you luck with your purchase!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 pm 

Absolutely excellent response/reply.

Tell it like it is, no rose coloured specs and hidden charges, well, not hidden but not anticipated.

Well done parrot.

This is the info that people really need and want when they ask about Lanza.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:09 am 

Hi!
Request https://tranio.com/ This company is a broker, so it is able to contact you with local estate agencies (you don't have to pay it anything). It will help you to choose the best property in terms of your budget and wishes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:04 am 

As you say Mary...that website is a broker and while you may not seem to pay them ...then you do regarding inflated prices and other hidden charges :? ,,,,,,,just use the equivalent of Rightmove or Zoopla websites here...no hidden costs and open to the public and no registration required :P see
http://www.fotocasa.es
or
http://www.idealista.com
Both these can be tailored to your requirements by using the search or advanced search options...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:55 am 

Yes, when something is free, it is already suspicious :) But actually it acts quite straightforward: the company and an agent split the commission earned on a transaction. But what is important that 1) the broker connects you with at least two agencies 2) the charge is the same like if you deal with it directly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:18 am 

See what you are saying..I suppose if you do not mind paying over the odds and dealing with a firm that is headquartered in Moscow ( so well outside of any EU consumer complaint /regulation/compensation rules)then it is up to you...the 2 sites I mentioned make no charges to the buyer at all...just the usual charge to the seller for listing it...AND unlike your site also allows private individuals to list their houses too...meaning no commission at all for anyone....Happy days :o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:01 am 

lanzalocal wrote:
http://www.idealista.com
Both these can be tailored to your requirements by using the search or advanced search options...

thanks for sharing this link now saved to my computer ;)