Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:00 pm 

Thanks Andreadoria. I don't speak German (not since a very young kiddie anyway)... but I'll use an online translator and have a look. I can see the 2 culprits from the shop on that home page though. Yes, we recognise them.
Thanks again
Elle xx

http://www.canarynightlife.net Directory & guide to bars, clubs & restaurants in Lanzarote
http://www.gandy-draper.com Superior web design and marketing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:45 am 

Another twist on camera sales.I bought a cheap camera by debit card.Only to find when I got my bank statement,that three seperate amounts had been taken out a total of almost 500 pounds.
They must have got my PIN somehow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 am 

Nope they just know how to scam. They can use on PIN entry for multiple "take-outs".
Clever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:48 am 

Just returned from 4th Visit to Canaries on the 7th feb, stayed in Lanzarote again, love it!! However, returned with a mission to find out about the scams with the digital Cameras!!!

Several visits to various shops, Makro Mart, Digital harry (or Henry)and another, whos salesman,was very obvioulsy an Elvis Presley impersonator in his spare time!! More or less every other shop on the long stretch of shops on Puerto Del Carmen, were up to the same tricks!

Luckily, Im not a very trusting person and after asking too many questions, and being determined that I was looking for a Sony Cybershot not a knock off Sony or JVC, we were thrown out of the shops!!!!!

I was so angry I said to my husband that as soon as I got home i would 'investigate'.

Since reading these horror stories on this forum Im even madder, I am totally hacked off that travel reps do not warn their customers about these people (for want of a more appropriate, postable name for them).

We visitors to the island spend a huge amount of money and obvioulsy contribute to alot of the economy there, how dare these people operate like they do and give the area a bad reputation!! I can only imagine that these people who have been lured into the shops, and bought this rubbish have totally had their holiday, which they have no doubt saved and looked forward to for months!! ruined!

I will be taking this further and would appreciate anyones comments or ideas how we can let holiday makers know about this before they go!!

Post subject: Re: Cameras and Camcorders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:03 pm 

Hi, I have yet another camcorder story! We just returned home from puerto del carmen after a lovely holiday. While there my bf decided we needed a camcorder. We were drinking in the bar next to Digital Harry and he decide to take a look at all the "bargains" , well he got all excited but had no cash on him so the guy told him to come back the next day, to buy this sony camcorder for a real cheap price. Anyway my bf went back alone in the morning as i browsed the shops. when I meet my bf he has bought his cam, not for the price of the night before and also not a sony as that was "outdated". I asked him how much it was, and asked to see the receipt (Im not of a trusting nature hehe). Well he didn't have one, nor did he have a warranty or even the cover box for the cam. So Im looking at this cam clearly not a real pentax as it was sold to be. Anyway I go back with my bf and the guy makes us a receipt, but Im not convinced that this penta digital, so he tells me its all registered and that its pentax is the parent company etc. We leave the shop (unconvinced and knowing we have been conned deep down).
Well we insepcted this camcorder that day and it was worthless not even a good looking fake! We looked it up on the net and found this forum and others of the same vein.
So the next morning we went back all fired up to get our money back. Asked him why if the cam he had sold us was so great it wasn't on display. We were there for about 45 mins and we threatened to call the police if he didn't comply, he said he didn't think we waste our holiday doing that and that he didn't believe we would. I said I most defiantly would and that i wasn't going anywhere.. he asked where we were staying so I laughed and dint respond to which he replied 'oh ill find you ' anyways we brought up the trading standards and pretty soon after that he went to his till and took his money out.
So we did get our money back!!..
Well id not recommend everyone trying this and certainly not to try it alone! As he was pretty unpleasant but luckily the guy he was working with was busy with more victims. But it worked for us.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:29 pm 

A result at least eh :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:03 pm 

Wouldn't it be great if all the camera shops were banned and replaced with cheap ciggie and booze shops.

Keith.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:13 pm 

Keith, haven't you noticed they are now 'into' that so watch out for dodgy ciggies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:26 pm 

Yes I have John but as I haven't smoked for 5 years :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought people would be less inclined to moan if they lost 15E on some fags as apposed to 300E on a camcorder.

Keith.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:16 am 

Out of interest are the goods in the perfume shops real? They seemed the real deal for a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 am 

Some are real and some are fake. Again its the old cherry, "If it seems too good to be true, then it certainly is".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 pm 

On Wednesday 30th July 08, my boyfriend and i were scammed. The owner of the wee camera shop directly the facing fariones store at the very top of the main strip is nothing but a conman, his store should be burnt down

My bf wanted to buy a digital camera which was originally 95 euro but bargained him down to 80 euro. The man showed him how it operated and my bf paid for the camera, but once the cash was handed over the man said we'd have to wait 30 mins for the box to be delivered from Teguise!!!!! he then pulled out a silly black camera which was originally 850 euro and was trying to give us that one for 80 euro . We said no we wanted the silver one thats what he paid for but the man said "no take the black one, no receipt no proof" (the cheek) but we refused to budge. He kept telling us to get out of his shop but there was no chance, we werent leaving without the money whatever it took.

I threatened him with the police but he was like "go ahead" but then once he realised i was serious and was prepared to do this, he and his friend muttered something in another language and finally handed over the money, shouting after my boyfriend, get out, bas****!! (Charming)...

So please be warned, do not go into this store, these are smart men who wouldn't think twice about taking advantage of others. He's a bully and turns nasty when caught out!!!! We were lucky to get the money back, i'm sure many others aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:02 am 

Like I say, Lanzarote...full of misfits players and con merchants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:40 am 

Looks like its true if you´re still on the Island! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:30 am 

Really ? shows how much you know...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next