Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:35 pm 

Me too - Idiot!!!
Ah well I was only conned out of 90 euros which is not as bad as some of the other people in here.

I can't believe I fell for it but I suppose the only way you know is when you know exactly what model you want and no other will do regardless of the deals on offer. I was lied-to and took the information on trust (Never again!)

Most of the shops in PDC were asian/indian owned by the looks of things but I guess the problem extends across all or any of them.

However, what DID surprise me was the sheer numbers of holiday-makers involved for so long! Therefore why didn't my Thomsons rep alert us all to the scam! I have since written to Thomson to make that point.

I am returning to Matagorda in June - I plan to visit the shop again and this time "accidentally" knock-over the whole display!
I might even try a few other tricks whilst there so bail me out of prison will you? I wonder how much damage expanding foam filler would do to a display case? hmmmmmmmmm?

Only (partly) joking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:32 am 

Hi! Guys - Yes I too have been conned (see the shopping pages of my Lanzarote website). On the website I have included a guide to camera shopping which was produced by Gazette Live following a lengthy article on this very subject.

Regards,
AlexTLF

Check out my Lanzarote website for info' other sites don't tell you: http://www.pinetreecottage.freeserve.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:02 am 

Hi all,

I spend a lot of time in Lanzarote and have had various experiences with these rogue traders, fortunately I have never become a 'victim'. All businesses in Lanzarote must provide customers with the opportunity to fill in a "Claims Form" if they are dissatisfied in any way. These forms are official and are dealt with by the local authorities. If you request a "Claims Form" at any time, the vendor is obliged to provide a form without question. To not provide a "Claims Form" on request is an offence.

If anyone experiences an encounter with these rogues that they feel they cannot get out of, the mere request for a "Claims Form" will ensure that the conversation ends immediately and without question. A usual technique is that the vendor gets the victim to part with a small amount of cash and then shows a "better" product and tricks the victim into parting with more hard earned cash. The mention of a "Claims Form" at any point will ensure that a full refund is offered unconditionally, as a bad "Claims Form" report can shut a business down almost instantly.

In the quieter moments I sometimes browse these shops and help unsuspecting victims out of sticky situations with this tactic. Because I am a tourist it can often take a while for the rogues to remember me and scurry off into the back ...!!!

Please pass the "Claims Form" information to anyone you know who is travelling to Lanzarote. The law is deigned to protect the consumer and this is the method to use.

http://www.geordiejohn.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:49 am 

I once knew exactly which model of Sony Camcorder I wanted. I had one in my hands in one shop and the price was good. I even had my hands on a factory sealed box and was wanting to do the deal. At that point the shop owner told me I was stupid to want a Sony and proceeded to try to persuade me to buy an inferior Samsung. I declined and said I wanted the Sony - he then bustled me out of the shop saying he needed to close immediately.
A similar situation the next day in another shop - again offered a Samsung. I declined and they said they couldn't take my card as their telephone line was out of order.
Good fun - but needless to say I bought what I wanted back in the UK. However, I saw loads of people with the rather dated and cheap looking Samsung around the resort.
It appears that the window displays are a ploy to draw you in to only buy what they have had fall off a lorry - or are fakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:13 am 

I have just returned (25 Feb 2006)from Corralejo in Fuerteventura and am the proud owner of a DVxJVC 10 megapixel digital camera. Its an all singing/dancing piece of kit with sound, video and 4x zoom. Powered by two AAA batteries and assured by the retailers (Viva Electronics) that if anything goes wrong with it all I need to do is take it along to my local JVC retailer, who, because it comes with a certified JVC international gurantee will be fixed free of charge. For this wonderful camera and international gurantee I only paid 170 euros.
I must admit the saleman/owner of the store was a very plausible young Asian man who spoke perfect English and Spanish. I suspect he is an expat from Bradford.
You can imagine how shocked I was to find the same camera on sale on e-bay with only one bid of 0.99p.
Thank God I did not fall for the more expensive camcorders. I have written to the OMIC (consumer affairs) people in Fuerteventura and will be happy to supply e-mail and mailing details if anybody is interested.

There is no fool like an old fool.

This whole affair has taken the shine of what was an idyllic holiday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:11 pm 

I read with surprise that these scams are still going on in the Canary Islands! Why don't the authorities get off their back-sides and do something? This is not new.
A few years back in Fuerteventura an Asian guy tried to sell me a 'Sony' camcorder and managed to get my Credit Card off me before the transaction was completed. I smelt a rat when he called someone back in the UK (in Bradford?) and read the details of the card out over the phone.
I went to the Police and insisted on making a report, then cancelled the credit card. The Police went to the shop with me and got the credit slips back, and managed to prevent any money being taken.
BUT the authorities/Police STILL took no action against these Asian guys, who obviously make a huge killing out of this fraud. It's not just a scam with fake goods, but they steal your Credit Card details, as well.
Be warned, don't be fooled into handing over your Credit Card, or buying fake camcorders, cameras etc, especially when they tell you it's 'Sony' !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:05 am 

Hi! - Hux, this sounds like the kind of info' I could include on my Lanzarote website. Only one question - you say "these forms are official and are dealt with by the local authorities" but by who and how are the forms submitted to the local authority?

Regards,
AlexTLF

Check out my Lanzarote website for info' other sites don't tell you: http://www.pinetreecottage.freeserve.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:59 pm 

Hi Guys
This is one big problem in Lanz.
I worked there 4 9 months as a rep and we advised all out guests to steer clear.
There is one excellent shop called Visanta based in arrecife and also one in PDC. The guys are friendly and helpful.
Give u a full worldwide warranty and can be totally trusted a su will see all the tour operators stickers in their window. These are not any pricier than the cons too.
I bought a TV, digital camera, stereo and dvd player from there and they all work perfectly.
Be careful but get some bargains!!!!!! we got robbed here in the UK with tax and prices!

PDC April05 - Jan06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:15 pm 

if your reps didn't tell you at the start of your holidays about these shops, then you booked with the wrong travel agent!.we were told umpteen times ,at the airport b4 leaving ireland..on landing in arrecife...on the coach transfer...at the hotel..to be honest we were sick to the teeth of the warnings but obviously kept us in good stead...all you gotta do is read these posts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:02 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robert Kirk</i>
<br />We too were conned by Mega Pixel in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, when we bought a camcorder but perhaps I take the biscuit for stupidity. We bought an MP3 player for our grandson and thought we got a fair deal, that’s when they produced a camcorder and eventually reduced the price to approximately £76 we said would consider it and left the shop .
My wife and I are both in our late fifties and thought we could have fun using a camcorder with the grandchildren. So we went back and I made the mistake of asking if I could see a better one than the one he showed us, this is when the apprentice conman was replaced by the master conman, from then on we were completely suckered and hustled by this man talking about something we new nothing about. After what seemed like hours we bought one for 556Euro but it didn’t end there he continued to show us the most up to date camcorder on the market which would be much simpler for us to use according to him, this would only cost us another 825Euro a total of 1381Euro and we agreed to buy this wonderful camcorder which was a Digilife 7000.
We done some checking the next day and realised how we had been conned and how stupid we were to expect fair play and assistance from these people. The camera was only worth a couple of hundred Euro. So we headed back to the shop were we had a heated confrontation but they insisted that I was wrong.They pointed out to me that there are no refunds but to show their goodwill they would change the camcorder to a much better one. I had no way of telling what sort of a deal I was getting now. So I took the change which turned out to be a Samsung VP-D353 which is worth about 400Euro.These people are crooks and should be exposed as such. I feel sick about the whole episode. We are too embarrassed to tell our family the whole truth because we feel so stupid.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:54 pm 

I know how you feel, I brought a disposable camera in Playa Blanca, signed for it and realised afterwards I had paid 45 euros for it!!!!!!

Angie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:20 am 

After reading all of this, I think one of the first things I will do when I next go to Lanzarote is go into Mega Pixel Electronics and start totally winding up the shopkeeper with 'umm, not sure I like this one, can I just have a look at that other one right at the back of the locked display underneath the PSP games' and then decide I want the most expensive camcorder they have, but I don't like that so I'll have that one over there... and so on. At the end of all this, when the shopkeeper is really tired and frustrated, I'll just walk out of the shop when he's getting me a more expensive camera to look at! I'm excited already. Or I'll try and haggle for a ridiculously low price, such as 2 Euros for a PSP or even 10 Euros for the whole shop. Or I'll pretend to be a complete technophobe with 'does megapixel mean the size of the screen' and other such rubbish, and then actually going through the process of buying a camcorder then say I haven't got any money. Those shopkeepers better have their 'Fujian NE-SSEYs' raedy!

Remember, MEGAPIXEL ELECTRONICS IN PLAYA BLANCA BAAAAAAD!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:47 pm 

Thanks for the advice, will be out there in October and will have to keep a eye on my father in law, who can't help buying anything electronic which if thinks is a bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:29 am 

Visanta is the only place top by electrical goods from.

Be warned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:03 am 

My boyfriend and i were also nearly "victims" of one of these camera shops!

Two years ago while on holiday in PDC my boyfriend was attracted into a camera shop on the main strip by a digital sony cam-corder for approx 150 euro, when we asked about the camera in the window the sales man tried to turn us off buying the sony in the window and showed us a "JVC" cam-corder for 250 euro which he claimed was much better. He kept plugging the fact that the camera was a "JVC" camera, an excellant make. We fell for it and bargained him down to giving us the cam-corder for 200 euro thinking we were great.

We brought the camera back to our apartment and my boyfriend discovered that the memory card that was in the camera would only film for about 5 mins. We began to get suspicious of the camera as it did not really look like a real JVC camera. i cant really explain why but it didnt look or feel right. We decided to go back to the shop and ask them to exchange the camera for the sony one we had seen. we went back to the shop and were told that only the sales man who had sold us the camera could exchange it and we were to come back the next day. This was a thursday and we were to depart on sat, we made the mistake of telling them this, trying to press the urgency of the situation. we went back down on the friday and were told that this salesman was off for the day and to come back the next day before our flight. we walked back to the apartment and on the way stopped into another electrical shop i asked the salesman about the cameras and showed him the one we had bought. This man said to me, you have been ripped off that is not a real JVC camera. He explained to me that shops will try to lure you in with bargains in the window only to try to sell you one of these "knock off cameras." The man told me that my only chance of getting our money back was to try to find a police officer and get him to come with me to the shop. The man asked me not to tell the people in the shop where we had bought the camera where i had gotten this information from as it would come back on him. He told me to stress to the police that we had been told that the camera was a real JVC camera.

We went to the police station and talked to one police man with ok english and told him our story, i asked if one them would come with us to the shop. He looked at the camera and seemed reluctant to help us but a more senior officer came in and agreed to bring us to the shop. We were driven in the squad car down to the shop with the two police men. on entering the shop the guy who had sold us the camera was on his mobile phone in the middle of the shop and on seeing us he practically ran out the door. After an exchange in spanish between the police and the man at the cash register the man rang his boss and gave us our money back. I could have kissed the police man i was so happy but the whole thing took up a lot of our holiday time and was the cause of much anger and arguments between myself and my boyfriend who didnt want to go to the police.

The Lesson Learned...
If something looks too good to be true then it generally is too good to be true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next