Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cameras and Camcorders
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 am 

Why can't there be a "sticky" telling people just to go to Visanta and avoid all these twats who rip people off?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 am 

Why bother with them now the euro has such a poor exchange rate, you can buy good cameras and camcorders whilst shopping in your local Asda, I bought a camcorder whilst on holiday in Tenerife 8 years ago, it now lives in the loft as its totally out of date now, my little digital camera does everything that great thumping thing did. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:05 am 

If you bought it 8 years ago it would have to be out of date, wherever in the world it was purchased!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:31 am 

These scams are still going on. We've had so many emails from people all crying out for help... but this latest story (which was actually published to the site instead of a private email) horrified us - and we have told the guy we'll help get the word out. His story is towards the bottom of the comments. We know the shop well... and have seen all sorts of shenanigans going on there.

http://www.lanzaroterelocation.co.uk/camera-shop-scams/

Elle xx

PS: Hello Mr Moderator. Delete this if you like - but I thought that as your thread is already in existence.... that you wouldn't mind

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm 

I just had a look at that thread but people still don't seem to know that they need to ask for the 'libro de reclamaciones' - the official complaints book that all businesses must have in Spain.

If the shop refuses, then notify the police who will force the shop to allow you to write a your complaint (in any language that you like). These complaints books do have serious consequences and are inspected by the Cabildo - Spanish people ask for them all of time when they are not happy. In fact, from what I've seen, Spanish people normally get better service than guiris simply because Spanish staff know that most Guiris don't know that the libro de reclamaciones exists!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:26 pm 

PBlanca wrote:
I just had a look at that thread but people still don't seem to know that they need to ask for the 'libro de reclamaciones' - the official complaints book that all businesses must have in Spain.

If the shop refuses, then notify the police who will force the shop to allow you to write a your complaint (in any language that you like). These complaints books do have serious consequences and are inspected by the Cabildo - Spanish people ask for them all of time when they are not happy. In fact, from what I've seen, Spanish people normally get better service than guiris simply because Spanish staff know that most Guiris don't know that the libro de reclamaciones exists!

Thanks PBlanca - although that book is actually described in the 5th paragraph... and there are step by step instructions on what to do with it. :wink:

Elle xx

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:42 am 

God threads like these make me really angry!!!

1) Why when brits go abroad do they leave every element of common sense behind?? Do we really book a package holiday hoping to get a tan, relax and chill out - instead we come home with a broken "top of the range" digital camera, a timeshare deal and a dodgy spanish will!!! I know we are always looking for a good deal but the internet is a far better place to buy anything.

And if you believe that a random backwater like Lanarote really is going to get the latest electronic product first then you are in dream land.

2) Spain!! Its such a fugging 3rd world country in some aspects its infuriating!!! If you have ever studied spanish history (and I have) its come a hell of a long way since the 1960s when it really was 3rd world but the legal system and the police are a shambles ( I get really angry when people knock the Met when you look at what we could have instead....).

Medical system - brilliant
Infrastructure - generally excellent
Legal system - a complete bl**dy shambles from top to bottom - and these electronic shops exist because no-one is willing to take them on.

Can't someone just stand outside with a sandwich board in English and german saying this shop is run by criminals? I would happily take my turn holding it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:59 am 

Well Foodie,
I could not agree with you more.
The dog on the street knows not to buy anything in these shops.
No sympathy for these ejits :oops: :oops:
But do feel sorry for anyone that needs help from the Police in Lanza :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:36 am 

Well I do feel sympathy for them Focker - because in the UK we have very strong customer protection which works - oh and worst case you can ring up that muppet nicky campbell on watchdog!!

But combined with the language barrier, the total disregard of the spanish police and authorities (of whom without tourism they would be on the street...) and total lack of legal backing these shops thrive.

I mean this complaints book is a laugh - it sounds like the visitors book in a B&B in dorset run by a retired army officer and his wife!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:39 am 

Well I have every sympathy with people who get ripped off by these criminals, some of us have the benefit of having heard the stories before, but many don’t.
Not every visitor has an in depth knowledge of the local Lanzarotean high street.
The most people are guilty of is gullibility and that’s no crime.
I can’t be doing with this thing where you deserve to become a victim, like you deserve to be robbed if you leave a window open, you deserve to be raped if you wear a mini skirt – bo||ox.
Ole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:02 am 

I feel sorry for anybody who gets ripped off in Lanzarote.

Walking around Playa Blanca it does come across as being the last place you would be ripped off. There are no dodgy timeshare sellers or street vendors selling watces or sunglasses. The camera shops are often spotless and very authentic looking with millions of cameras on display.

Even tho I read about the shops being con artists in disquise the idea of having a bargain last year proved almost to much and I ventured into a shop to have a look. A friendly salesman asked me if I needed help, I said I was just looking and he left me alone. I found a camera I liked the look of and asked if I could have a look at it. He showed me and from what I could see it all seemed to work fine .
I then wanted to check the spec's not knowing that much about cameras. At this point the atmosphere changed and he said he could not produce the box or the instructions and that I could have them as soon as I payed. Now whether this was because it genuinely had to come from the warehouse, or because I would have been given something different to what I would have paid for I do not know.
But the point is this. If they are an authentic business who have to rely on a 'warehouse' system, if they thought we were genuine they would surely pay the warehouse for the camera themselves and then get us to cough up on their return with the genuine camera.
Wherever in the world you are, the general rule of trading is that you hand over money for goods. Not for the promise of goods. Stick to that rule and you should not go far wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:40 am 

This is it everyone. We're going to close down the bad shops in Lanza for good! But we have to cooperate as the following steps describes to make that dream become reality - for the sake of future tourist's experience of Lanza.

This is regarding the electronic's shops continously swindeling tourists and selling misfunctioning products. The Discover Lanzarote forum allready have a 30 pages topic just on this matter - please take 2 minutes too help us all out. We and future tourists will be very grateful for your contribution.

1 Enter the contact pages of the Lanzarote's tourist council's official sites on the following link
http://www.turismolanzarote.com/spel/SPEL/published/en/contacto.jsp

2 Fill in all you personal details including name, e-mail and country of origin.

3 Paste the text below in the comment's section, or add your own personal message regarding the matter.

This is a complaint regarding the electronic's shops around in Lanzarote, and the rest of The Canary Islands, swindeling tourists for hundreds of thousands of euros every day. This mail is sent from those of us who would like to have this illegal businesses stopped and who wants future tourist's of Lanzarote to have as nice an experience of Lanzarote as possible.

The frauds are usually carried out in somewhat the same way. Electronic camcorders, cameras, photo equipment or other electronics are for sale in shops around in Lanzarote, and especially in Playa Blanca. When tourists enter the shops and pays interest in the electronics for sale, he or she is presented with a nice offer from one of the staff members. Mostly, the staff is cooperating to make the customer feel he or she is given an especially great offer. When the tourist pays for the product he or she wants, the staff suddenly changes mood and comes up with different lies to keep the custumer from having the product (sold out/better offer for more money/wrongly priced/will not work without extra equipment that has to be bought/etc.), or, the customer is either given a cheaper product, or a faked product which will not function properly. The staff may also promise the tourists to meet up on the airport when they are leaving, to have the product delivered there. The tourist is not able to get his or her money back because the shop doesn't give money in return (a sign giving this information is often presented after the payment has been made).

The staff in these shops doesn't seem to know of any limits regarding how long they will go to swindle tourists. Old tourists has been driven by the staff back to their hotel to pick up money, as the staff trick them around to buy more as they say it's needed for the products to function properly etc. It also seems like the staff is very good trained for these type of frauds, as they keep tricking around all kinds of tourists and has run their businesses for several years.

The result of these frauds has not only been very angry tourists, having to deal with illegal matters and frauds on their own and not getting anywhere (the police are unable to help as most of the officers doesn't speak any English), but also continous illegal withdrawals from the tourists' bank accounts as these electronic's shops sometimes record sensitive creditcard details.

We have either been victims of this type of fraud ourselves, being swindled for 10's to 100's of euros, or we have heard about these kinds of frauds and want to put an end to them for the safety of other future tourists visiting Lanzarote. We hope that The Lanzarote Tourist Council will take this matter seriously and do what it takes to prevent these illegal businesses from continuing on the island.

On the Lanzarote tourist's internet forum, http://www.discoverlanzarote.com, nearly 450 posts in several topics documentate this issue. Even if the local police in Lanzarote are aware of these frauds, they still go on every day.

Update: I will come back with another link to the complaint's forms from Canary Islands Government Suggestions and Complaints Service tomorow, as I will have to translate the contact form details from Spanish. Thank you all for reading.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:21 am 

It shouldn't be too hard to launch a campaign and get a result, as they are all foreigners to the Spanish/Canarians.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:43 am 

I was interested in Canon EOS 450D which I asked them to convert into English Pounds so I knew what would come of my Credit Card, after paying with a MasterCard for £210 they took 419 Euros then came a so call Techician, explaining that I couldn’t do anything with the camera at home as this would cost us £500 for the MemoryCard and Battery, we had to pay for the extras £125 they took 189 Euro to make it work… So the man in the shop made another deal as this camera was no good to me ( this was after more than an 2 hours) at last at we left the shop with a fujifilm finepix S1500 for an extra £190 they took 340 Euro (Which cost at home £130)
The manual had to come from another shop and my wife had to wait for it, whilst they attempted to sell her more rubbish, after 1 hour she came back without the manual and very distraught. Now I am really pissed off. A camera that cost £130 in the UK ended up costing £850 when there so called Bank converted from Euros to Pounds.

REMEMBER MICROTECH and most of the Electronic Shops are owned by the same Person in the Canaries and his staff are all INDIANS, why are we not warned by Holiday Reps at the Airport.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:13 pm 

Jkaz
Why would holiday reps stand at the airport warning people about shops???
After all if you did not book with a tour copany etc you would not even
have any contact from a tour rep.......
I do beleive that certain tour companies have info either printed
in their welcome pack or else advise customers at their welcome
meetings to be aware....

Now regarding your issuie, is it possible to get the money stopped by your
credit crad/bank etc? Also go back and ask for a complaint form and complete.

The staff working in ''most'' of these type of shops are sharks, there
are only a couple of electical shops of Lanzarote that can be trusted.
I did not note where your issuie was so cannot comment...

Did you really think you would get a cheaper camera here than in the UK with
all the deals on there at the minute?

Keith

PS, for everyone, just be aware of these shops, they should be avoided
like the plauge.. one day they may get shut down but not holding
out at the minute....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next