Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Cameras and Camcorders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 pm 

I once nearly got caught in Fuerteventura. Before the holiday I had done some research and knew exactly what camcorder I wanted. I window shopped and saw it at a good price. I went in - got my hands on it and was about to buy it - when the boss came and told me it would soon be obsolete and there had been problems withthe model. He kindly offered to sell me a "far better" Samsung for the same price - "feel it - it is much lighter!"
I declined and said I wanted the Sony that I had chosen - he told me he couldn't sell it as his credit card machine was down and he had to close up the shop. I was ushered out.

I got one on my return to the UK for a good price.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 am 

At the risk of being "ushered" out of the forum and seen as a "traitor", I think it's only fair to highlight the better ones in PB in this mess of "dubious" business practises..... :wink:

For several years now, I have been "testing out" various of these shops, - either via visitors staying with me, or via family members. While the majority of PB shops are truly bad in their approach and eager to empty your wallet or plastic, - my (our) experience is that there are execptions to the rule.....

There is one shop on the PB waterfront that stands out from the crowd in terms of service and lack of ability to harass you. The name is Shopper's Bay and it is situated at the far end of the PB promenade as you approach the ferry port:

It's actually two shops, one for cameras and camcorders (and cigarettes, - probably among the cheaper ones in PB) and one for jewellery. Both owned by the same person.

I don't know much about jewellery, bit I do know a fair bit about cameras and lenses.... :wink:

And I do know a bit about service...... :D

And I am happy to say that not once have any of my visitors or family members ever experienced anything bad in these two shops that seem to governed by a "different" culture than the truly bad ones.....

No credit cards have ever been misused, service and advice on products have been to the point and I have yet to hear about anybody leaving the shop with no charger or memory card in the package...... :D

Pricewise, I am not able to tell how good they are. The rule of checking prices at home before you go is still valid...... AND your guarantee is most certainly better at home.... :wink:

Bargaining is worth while, and its your own fault if you come home and find its was actually cheaper at Jessops.... :wink:

But the staff is friendly and helpful, - and the owner just as frustrated as all of us when it comes to some people's business practises in PB....

Anybody with a different experience, - please let me know....... :D

PS: And I was not paid to do this....... :lol:

"The more I learn the less I know...."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 am 

Hmmm - dare I say the guarantee you get in Lanza is not worth the paper it is written on?

And that you could get better kit off amazon/kelkoo or various other online UK comparison sites for the same or less? With a full guarantee.

And most of these shops only have old, last years stock anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm 

foodie wrote:
Hmmm - dare I say the guarantee you get in Lanza is not worth the paper it is written on?

Depends on the shop/product really. Visanta for one would be offended by such a statement I guess.... :wink:

foodie wrote:
And that you could get better kit off amazon/kelkoo or various other online UK comparison sites for the same or less? With a full guarantee.

Most likely.... That's why checking prices and models before you go is imperative....... :D

foodie wrote:
And most of these shops only have old, last years stock anyway.

Again variable, but yes I agree .............. But in some instances that could be in your favor when you bargain.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:00 pm 

So say you come to lanza once on a holiday, buy something from say visanta, and you have a prob or not satisfied when you get home. How do you get a refund if you don't intend to return to Lanza?

No-one in the UK will accept the return as is old stock and they won't touch it.

How do you get your money back?

Not being stroppy with you - just giving you the most common complaint that a UK holiday maker would have!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:59 pm 

Even though I live in Lanzarote. If I wanted to buy a camera, I'd buy it on line. Warranties are OK, but unless you are really unlucky, the camera normally lasts until the warranty period is over, then if it breaks you can usually get a better camera for not much more than the repair cost- and certainly a lot quicker!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm 

Depending on product, and some producers like Nikon and Canon (and others) do supply an international guarantee or world wide gurantee for some of their products. It has however changed a bit over the last few years. Camerabodies and lenses (Nikon and Canon SLRs) tend to have different type of guarantees....

Also as of recent, it does matter a bit where the item has been imported from/to. Nikon Europe is a good example. They distribute all over Europe with a corresponding Gurantee, but not valid in UK because that is handeled by Nikon UK.

My advice would be to read the guarantee document very carefully........

A World Wide Guarantee would cause you no problem in UK or anywhere else........... :D

BUT if the seller in Lanza is not a trustworthy one (and very few are) you would most likely have a problem getting a repair/refund out of them. That's why buying it at home is a better option........ :wink:

Whether its old stock or new is not really important as its the day of purchase that is the starting point of the customer guarantee period.........

And while at it, I have seen just as much "old stock" on Tottenham Crt Rd in Ldn as in Lanza, - but more expensive than here....... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:23 am 

Fair points and fair point about Tott Ct Rd - but its much easier to get to Tottenham Court Road to return your dodgy camera and you are protected by UK consumer laws.

Still think the advice should be don't buy electronics in Lanza unless you are happy to lose the money!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:12 pm 

foodie wrote:
Still think the advice should be don't buy electronics in Lanza unless you are happy to lose the money!

I agree totally...... :wink:

But at least in the shop I have mentioned, you will not be cheated, - and their attitude is friendly and very serviceminded, - not something that you see too often down here........ :D

And as we should name and shame the bad ones, - I think its only fair to mention the good ones too.. :D

And that was my point......... :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:22 pm 

Are all the shops dodgy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 pm 

Cannot say if all the camera shops are dodgy,but reading the posts on here you could say that the majority of shops are,plus why bother buying electricals in Lanza when you can buy more up to date products in the UK, at the same, and sometimes cheaper price.
The days of Duty free, tax saving electrical bargains are well gone.
If you do have problems with a purchase you can hardly pop it back to the store, and in the UK trading standards are now very fair.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:18 pm 

No NOT all the shops are dodgy, but I do wonder why you would want to buy something here and cart it home when its so much easier to get back home in the first place. There is one by the Gran Hotel in Arrecife (Visanti I think) and they have a branch by the Casio in PDC, blue sign and are ok but on the whole to save trouble just save your money.

cheers
Keith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:04 pm 

I had family here a couple of weeks ago.
They needed new memory card for camera. I told them only go to Visanta.
But....they went to another place on the strip in PDC.
Paid 30 euros for a 4gb card!
Next day took 4 pictures and then card would not work.
Took it back to shop...got a replacement easy enough, but salesman said he would do them a favour and give them a Sony card which normally retailed at 120 euros (!!!) for free.
Can you believe it had a price sticker on it of 120 euros?!
Second card worked OK - but still, 30 euros for a 4gb card. Puh-leese!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:13 pm 

For all the time i there i couldnt tell enough people not to buy from the electricla shops! absolute rip off! stick to your english bargains in argos or see what can pick up at the airport x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 pm 

10+ years ago it was interesting to buy in Lanzarote some electronics, now with Internet its better to buy online than buy here..

If you still want to buy on the island, avoid "exotic" shops, they will only sell you old or refurbished stuff at new collection price or worst...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12