Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:36 am 

my wife and i were victims of a scam to in playa blanca at the start of may . i went into " micro tech"on the main street in playa blanca to look at camcorders the young indian guy{butter wouldnt melt in his mouth}showed me a sony model all the bells and whistles for 300euro,no problem hagling him down to 150 so i bought it ,first mustake,as he was getting it ready for me the older indian guy approached and causually said that "did i know that camera i just bought was no good as you could only record once on each memory card and then you would have to buy another card and so on"..when i heard this i said the deal was off and wanted my money back,to which i was told we dont do refunds but not to panic as we have another camera here that will do what i want for just another 400euro.we realised that we were caught so we protested and my wife threathened to get the police ,thats when things got nasty,there was a lot of shouting and all of a sudden there was six of them facing my wife myself and my two kids .after half an hour of this stand off i had no option but to cut my losses and leave the shop with an inferior camera ,we didnt get the police because we tought that they wouldnt be bothered with anothrer dumb tourist problem plus there is the lanuage problem ,if we had only known about the claims form...

bottom line is
IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT IS
so be warned any one going to playa blanca stay away from MICRO-TECH electricall store on the main street.they are serious con men...

iano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:31 am 

Hi iano

Report it to the Tranding standards
Industria, Comercio y Consumo
Cabildo Insular de Lanzarote
Avda. Fred Olsen
S/n 35500
Arrecife
Lanzarote

they got me a compromise - I accepted a genuine JVC to replace the inferior MXJVC I'd been conned into buying (being persuaded in to believing it was a brand new top of the range JVC)

The authorities over there are willing to help - but only if they get told - exactly what happened to you.

They acted as middleman - with me returning the crap one via them.

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:32 am 

thanks for the info bob ,i will most certanily give it a shot and let you know how i get on.
heres hoping we get the b.....ds
thanks again
iano....

iano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:34 pm 

HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!!!!!!!!<font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="2"></font id="size2"> - I can assure everyone as I travel the world continuosly of the following:
Camcorder/DVD Costs/Models - Japan & Korea Latest Models at a price / Dubai Latest Models J&K - 15% / UK Same price as UAE but latest model may not be available - <font size="2"><font face="Arial Black">CANARY ISLANDS FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!</font id="Arial Black"></font id="size2">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:23 pm 

agree with james58,dont bother in canaries,too much hassle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:18 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bobc720</i>
<br />If your fake camcorder came with any bundled software, I suggest email the software company too. I have just emailed Ulead telling them. Hopefully they may investigate too. We'll get the sods
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:49 am 

Just returned from Puerto Del Carmen, after being lured in by the Camera salesmen, we thought we might buy a camera. We checked the prices which seemed too good to be true. We were worried about fakes, so we checked prices on the internet and VIVISAN who are supposed to be reputable and then decided to buy a Sony camera.

My husband went into 3 shops on the main road in Puerto del Carmen and tried to buy the Sony model we wanted and each time, they say "Which camera do you already have?" (this is to find out exactly what you already know about digital cameras) when you try to purchase the camera they said the last one is sold, or out of stock and then go into supersalesman to sell you an interior older model which isn't worth anything.

We are so glad we were wary but feel that these scams are underhand and the public need to be vary. I can see from this forum, that there are different scams out there including fake items.

I would advise anyone to wait to get home to buy anything. The saying "if it is too good to be true" rings true.

The really annoying thing was that the Airtours Rep advised us to buy electrical goods in Lanzarote because there were some fantastic deals. I would have expected the Reps to give better advise that this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:17 am 

Remember the Reps are normally only in resorts for 6 months at a time. They are quoting what has been passed on to them from the company superiors.
There has been wide publications in newspapers worldwide and also on the www. and yet people still think they get a bargain, if you want to buy when visiting the Canaries then do your homework before travelling. If the shop doesn't have the model you want then SIMPLY don't buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:11 pm 

A few days ago in Gran Canaria I was looking into a shop window when I saw a Fujian camera in the window which caught my eye for 68 Euros. I went into the shop, knowing it or any other brand such as MXJVC, DVXJVC and Penta Rex aren't genuine products. I requested a look at the camera in the window, and that is exactly what I got. While I was inspecting the 6.6 megapixel (interpolated) Fujian NE-SSEY, the shopkeeper started unpacking a different camera made by DVXJVC, a compact 12 megapixel (also interpolated) one (model name 'DVxPRo 30' if its any use to anyone) and put it on the counter. This one, he said, had a much bigger screen (2.4 in), was a lot smaller in size, 12 megapixel instead of 6 and much less tacky in look and feel, and he didn't even suggest to me that it might be a real JVC!. This, he said, was so much better but not much more expensive at 85 Euros. After much deliberating, I bought the more expensive of the two, and I have to say so far I am pretty impressed. The pictures it takes are unbelievably good for 85 Euros, it is easy to use, reasonably stylish and does actually take proper 12 megapixel photos if you don't mind interpolation. The shop was called Foto Sonia in the Varadero shopping centre in Maspalomas. If you are looking for one of those imitation cameras without getting scammed, I recommend you give that shop a try. My camera is nearly as good as a proper JVC!!!!! So there are really some good deals to be had in the Canaries!!!!

Remember, MEGAPIXEL ELECTRONICS IN PLAYA BLANCA BAAAAAAD!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:26 pm 

takes all kinds to make a world... i cant believe people are still letting themselves be ripped off!!!!!!!

happy days are sunny daze!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:38 am 

I cannot believe people are so daft as to fall for this rubbish...I grew up in a tourist seaside town...worked in the travel industry for many years, both in the UK and abroad and I have often said there is an 11th commandment..it reads thus:

11) Thou shall be a totally brainless fool when on holiday.

and it's bloody true...you'd never let salespeople work you over in dixons in this way, so why let these scamming swines get away with it over there...if you REALLY must buy yourself some cheap piece of crap in some electrical shop, make sure you get the cheap piece of crap you actually want...UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES let them convince you to buy anything else...it's up to you what you want to spend your hard earned money on...not them...and when you get them to hand over the item you want, double check that everything is as it should be and check it works BEFORE leaving the shop...if you get conned, report them as mentioned above and don't let the sods get away with it...then post your experience on a forum like this and NAME & SHAME the shop.

Me, well, I have no intention of buying anything other than beer and food on holiday...if I want a new camera or camcorder, I'll get one before or after I return...and from somebody I trust.

Only 17 days to go before I get to PDC!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:17 am 

AAAAArrrggghhh - I wish I could have read this before I went to Fuertaventura. I have just come back with a Penta Rex -supposedly 12 megapixels and a 8 x digital zoom camera. I was looking at a Sony for my daughter when out came this supposedly superdupa Penta Rex. I am now home and I can only get the camera to record movies that turn out to be dark - I have tried the brightness it doesnt change anything. I paid 195 euros for this. I will be writing to the trading standards in Fuertaventura and asking them to sort it out for me as suggested on this forum - thanks - however I am sorry to be joining what seems to be a lot of people who are being duped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:21 pm 

My 74 year old father recently returned fromPuerto Del Carmen with Saga holidays to recuperate following a year long battle with cancer. He visited Venus Electronica S.L in Avd Las Playas to look at digital cameras. He spent almost 2 hours in there, was plied with brandys and came out with a Samsung Digimax A403. He thought he had a great deal until i got to see it at home. He was charged 244 euros for the camera at 10.22am, at 11.05 95 euros for a charger and at 11.54 a further 95 euros for a media card. On looking at the photos he took there is one Dad took of the salesman in the shop! Taken when Dad was trying it out. Poor hapless fool, little does he know my brother and i are booked out next month to Lanzarote and will be paying a visit to the store to take our very own set of photos several with his self satisfied smirk firmly wiped off his face! Tell your elderly parents to keep away or at least don't admit they hold a visa card.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:56 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by carltonne</i>
<br />:x

Last Year in Playa Blanca i bought a 6million pixel Digital Camera (branded MXJVC) - I have now been told by JVC that it doesn`t make such a camera and that there is a manufacturer selling the above Camera and a Camcorder (branded DVxJVC) in the Canary Islands that are not JVC products - so be warned !!! This is getting Playa Blanca which is a really great location a undeserved bad name
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

carl p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:55 am 

The electrical-shops down there must be the best place to find assholes. And where did my family have to learn the hard way? ...and the right answer is: MEGA PIXEL! After 1.5 hours inside, trying to be nice and polite as inside our shops back home, we came out to really understand what kind of people we were dealing with... Assholes.

After reading all of this topics' posts, I assume my family were lucky. Compared to Norwegian camera prices we only lost around 70 euros and the camera we got wasn't a copy. But it's not about the money... To be fraud by these guys with their "style" really generates a lot of anger and sadness, -Am I to kind? Can I ever trust an Indian again? Should I stop being nice and honest to people? The whole vacation becomes a trip to hell... It's kind of like finding your wife in bed with another man, this incidents make us feel so angry in this special way (not that my girl has cheated on me.. I hope :).
At the airport the day we left, I went to the information desk to get the telephone-number to Policia Local in Playa Blanca. There was actually a police-man talking to the woman behind the desk. After telling her a short-version of my story, she just looked at me and said "that doesn't only happen here". I replied: "So that makes it ok?", she didn't answer to that question, but continued with her computer. The police-man didn't give a damn even if he was told by the woman what I told her... And the telephone number? They gave it to me the third time i asked for it...

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="5"><font color="red">What can I do?</font id="red"></font id="size5"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

If this shops were in Norway they would have been closed down a long time ago, and the men behind them would sit inside a prison! Why doesn't the local police in Playa Blanca do anything with this buisnisses when their police-station is so close to all the main-streets and the electrical-shops? What do they think of us down there, are we just some more stupid tourists with money? We're actually spending quite a lot of money down there, we're running these islands!

I'm willing to do what it takes to stop the monkey-business, to many have been coned, to many have become unhappy because of these frauds. What's happend has happend, our money is lost, but today, tomorow and the days after tomorow, people are still tricked around and their holiday-experiences becomes a frustrated hell. Down there at Lanzarote, inside Mega Pixel, I didn't know what to do. 6-7 Indians saying we were wrong... And the police, no-one around, Policia Local closed, told by the hotel-reception that the policemen didn't speak any English and the police at the airport didn't care at all... I have seen the recommendations in this topic, "claims-form", contact the police, contact Lanzarote tourist offices.. -money is lost every day, but the business continues.

Now as we know, we can help everyone! I wondered about this on my way back home from Lanzarote, we release an internet-site where everyone may sign to stop this bad-businesses.
I would like your responses to this suggestion, remember, WE ARE STILL ABLE TO DO SOMETHING! I would also like tips on what to do, is there any need to contact the local police now? Other things I can do?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next