Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:24 am 

Yep, the cash and Carry place in Arrecife is excellent value for money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:56 pm 

best advice i can give, having been ripped off last year in PDC,is to do your research before you go,i did 3 yrs ago on a fuji camera 6mega pixel,i looked in dixons £700, the airport had it up for £500, my wife said see how much it would be in PDC, so i took her advice and waited.i knew which camera i wanted, having done all the ressearcH at home months before, and although i was told this and that were better, i knew what i wanted and wouldnt be swayed into any other camera. at last after and hour and several cokes later (bought by owner) i bought the fuji and saved £200 on uk prices, and it worked perfectly.
then last year i wanted to get a digi camcorder, only having an old analogue, which too had been bought in canaries, and again worked perfectly. so i went into a shop in PDC and after an hour came out with a so called sonycam 11 mega pixel, also a still camera for my grand daughter as a xmas present. she was happy with hers and uses as a cam and web cam, but mine..on returning to the hotel and reading the instructions found it did nothihg that i wanted it to do, no zoom on video for one thing,the still pix were crap,and this cost me £150, the still cam (sony cam again) £100.i took my camcorder back for a refund or to change it,amazingly the one i had picked out Hitachi dvd camcorder had been sold and was the last one they had. they didnt have a policy to refund, so i came away after a heated argument with nothing only this crappy camcorder.hopefully i turned a few of his customers away with them hearing my arguement, i saw several walk out any way.i managed a year later to sell it on ebay for £40 and the guy was more then pleased.(so would i have been had i only paid £40) but not £150.i also bought a JVC from ebay for £150 hdd camcoder, exactly what i wanted and works outstandingly.dixons price £339.
the moral ive found is DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! pick the one you want at home, note the model number, and DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ever change your mind. i did last year and it cost £150, and spoilt my holiday.
REMEMBER RESEARCH THE PRODUCT IF THEY WONT OR CANT SELL IT THEN DONT CHOSE ANY OTHER.
there are bargains to be had but remember the pitfalls.they know you are tourists, and will leave after a week or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:34 am 

I would agree with Chris about doing your research first.

But you may be surprised that it's sometimes possible to buy cheaper in the UK than in the Canaries!!

Here are two examples of how I managed that with the purchase of my last 2 video caneras - one had RRP of £1500 and I got it (new) for £850, the other had RRP of £2500 and I got it new for £1350...8)

The first camera was a Canon and I got a returned 'second' with a very cosmetic defect from Canon's official outlet on eBay.

The other camera I bought at http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk which seems to have to same tax-free status as the Canaries?? I don't know how they do it but you get the genuine product without a European guarantee but with their own 18 month guarantee instead. I've had no problems with my camera so I don't know how easy it would be, but their customer service was very good when I bought the camera (at 60% of the retail price!) The camera is definitely the genuine article by the way!! :)

http://www.ken-smith.co.uk

Ken Smith Photography
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote
Canary Islands
Spain

Ken Smith Photography
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote
Canary Islands
Spain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:11 am 

All electricals you buy will be covered by the manufacturers minimum 12 month guarantee, no matter, where or from whom bought; as long as you have a valid receipt showing date of purchase and you register the sale with the maker.
Hope it helps.

I love my hols!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:10 am 

Just depends if the genuine article can actually be traced to being made somewhere!
Some stuff over here is completely genuine fake complete with genuine fake warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:59 pm 

:D
Ah well, in that case you're in the brown stuff!

I love my hols!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:19 pm 

I think all would do well by reading this story!

My Girlfriend and I just came back from Peurto Del Carmen last night, We were walking past all these 'Indian' electronic shops the whole week we were there and decided on the last day to purchase a camera. We went into BENJIS on the strip and chose a 12.1 Megapixel Sony, We bargained for 100Euro for the camera and a 512MB memory card, and shook on the deal. The salesman said he had to call the warehouse for the camera to be brought to shop, and asked if we would like to see the new model 'Sony', while we waited, so he showed us the difference between the camera and did the whole sales pitch, the camera felt light and cheap, but seemed genuine enough, We ended up paying 150Euro for this so called new model Sony, It just didnt feel right and wasn't till we got back to our apartment that I realised it wasn't A sony at all, it was a 'ybersonycam' I was not very happy to say the least. We went back down to BENJIS and I told the salesman that what he had sold me was not a Sony and that not I nor any of my friends had ever heard of this ybersonycam brand. The sneaky so and so then tried to tell me it was a sub-brand of Sony and was the affordable range, now I knew he was full of crap. I demanded that we get the original 'Sony' camera and he refund the extra 50Euro we had paid, We were told the shop had a no refund or exchange policy and he had to call his boss to authorise this, the whole time he was just bulls###ing. My Girlfriend then said she was calling the Police and went next door to get the number of the local authority. I could see the note of panic in the salesmans face when she did this. I had pulled up a chair by now and was determined not to leave without a refund, My other half was back with the number and we argued with the salesman some more,we were offerred other cheap cameras in the mean time, which we were not interested in. He then said he would rip up the receipt, keep the camera, and our 150Euro and there would be nothing we could do about it. Then I lost the plot! I got up out of my seat and with the most menacing look and voice I could muster told him 'If you do that I will knock your head clean off you shoulders and mop the floor with your face!' At that, my girlfriend grabbed the reciept and went outside to call the police. the salesman went outside to listen to her talking on the phone, and I grabbed the camrea and went outside to have a smoke to calm myself! I tell you we were lucky no one rang when she was talking to the police cause i knew she had no credit on her phone Ha Ha! The salesman went inside then to talk to his partners in crime, He called my girl in and told her he would give her 135Euro back, needless to say we wanted all our money back, she said 'you must mad in the head, the police will be here soon' and walked back outside, he then offerred us the full refund which we took, gave the camera back, checked the money was real and got the hell out of there!
From reading other posts on this website I think we were very lucky to get our money back, but you will if you call the police. I would advise everyone to stay away from these stores especially BENJIS on the strip in PEURTO DEL CARMEN, as you may not be as lucky as we were. I have googled 'ybersonycam' and cannot find anything on this brand except storys of being conned!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:50 pm 

Kris,
Yes it’s an all too familiar story, once they’ve got you they’re like rottweillers and won’t let you go. You did well to get your money back but as you say you had to threaten them with the Police as well as a good chinnin’, these people are scumbags and it’s unbelievable how they’re allowed to operate the way they do. It can only harm the reputation of the resort and that of the genuine shop owners, and there are some as Cy has mentioned.
Question for residents, especially those in business, why don’t the Police shut these places down ? It seems quite common knowledge which are the bona-fide ones and which aren’t, so surely the Police know this as well ? [:(!]
Ole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:54 pm 

backhanders?

Spenders no1 for live sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:02 pm 

yes, well sadly it seems to be the only conclusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:13 pm 

Well, I tell you I now wish I had visited this website before we left, places like these should be shut down by the Police as you say, I left Lanzarote feeling very angry and glad to be going home, will never go to PEURTO DEL CARMEN again. I am glad we had a good time, but the experience in the shop put a dampener on the whole trip. These criminals should be locked up. It was certainly an experience my girlfriend and I will never forget, I hope the Salesman who tried to con us is reading this, as we conned you , ya BA###rd! Ha, Ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:27 pm 

Kris,
Sad that this episode at the end of your holiday spoilt it and that it leaves such a bad impression of PDC. :( Hopefully one day you’ll give it another go and walk past these places.
Another own-goal by the Lanza authorities !
Cheers - Ole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm 

As you say you had a good time don't let this put you off visiting the island in the future, these shops operate in all the resorts here and unfortunately all do underhanded dealing.

You conned them and that my friend is one in the bag for the law abiding well done, but don't dwell on it and come back soon.

Spenders no1 for live sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:06 pm 

Kris,

Thanks for sharing your experience which sadly enough is just another typical example. But you must have done better than most, - congratulations on your efforts !!!

To the Administrator of this site: Please add a "Sticky Stamp" to this thread. It should be kept up high at all times for everybody to see !!!

A sweet little story from my own recent Playa Blanca experience: Brought my laptop and printer from Norway but forgot the USB cable. Sunday afternoon and I needed it for work, - got one from one of the Indians and paid 15 Euros for it. I knew I paid too much but it solved a problem. Next day I bought another USB cable from "Informatica" and paid 1 (one) Euro for it !!! I then took my "Informatica" receipt back to the Indian and showed him....

He does not like me any more......

As stated by many: Check your prices at home before you go... UK street prices are often far better than prices here. And foreigners buying out of UK will most often get a VAT refund on top of it.... As well as a decent guarantee...

And don't think this is applicable to cameras/electronics only. Buying bags, sunglasses etc. is just as risky. The sad truth is that you may be fined back home in Norway (What about UK ?) if they catch you wearing your fake Guccis.....

In short: ALL: Avoid those shops completely...

Enjoy Lanza..... :)

"The more I learn the less I know...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:50 pm 

The message is to be as underhand and as devious as the scum are. We will not be the scum we will be the victors.<b> krismcdon</b> Superb move, fantastic and maybe something that everyone should try.
Come on, don´t let 5 mins (or however long the argument lasted) spoil your idea of Lanzarote.
As you can see from this forum there are so many honest people around.
I, along with others will spread the word to drive these cretins away from this Island.
Come on admin, lets get this subject up high!
You were quick to stop other threads, lets be just as quick to highlight this problem!

TimanfayAir Car tours
cymmonn@hotmail.com
http://www.cymmon.co.uk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next