Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Car hire.....Bus information please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm 

Hi new to these forums on Lanzarote and it will be our first visit arriving in March and staying in Playa Blanca. Please can somone provide information on car hire from a reliable source preferably all inclusive with no nasty surprises when car is returned or indeed further charges added to credit card once you return home!

I would also appreciate information on public transport: For example in Tenerife they have a bono card to use on the bus system which gives you a cheaper rate while deducting money from this pre paid card. One of our trips cost 3 euro's each using this while the people in the queue behind paid nearly 30 euros for a couple. The bono card cost 30 euro's (3 years ago)and can be used for two people. Just wondered if there is a similar scheme in Lanzarote?

Please feel free to post me any further information that you feel may be of interest or help

Many thanks
Scotia

Post subject: Re: Car hire.....Bus information please
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 pm 

http://www.autospluscar.com for car hire;

http://www.arrecifebus.com for bus travel. Pases are for €12 or €22 , and give 20% discount per trip.

PM for further info.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 am 

Car hire - I have used most of them over the years!

Auto reisen generally my favourite. Holiday autos have generally been the cheapest and cabrera medina have the best range if you fancy getting something different.

Make sure you use a comparison site for the best deals
http://www.kayak.co.uk/ is good - for the week starting 1st March was coming out at £90 for the week.

Never had them playing silly beggars with charges - just make sure you check with them what the petrol situation is. Sometimes you get it empty and sometimes full.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:04 am 

If you're staying in Playa Blanca you'll be wanting to pick the car up at the airport, I always use Autoreisen for this. The cars come with all insurances you need included in the price, they provide a very good service at a reasonable price and you don't need to pay until you pick the car up. Their desk is in the baggage hall and I usually pick up the car keys while my wife and wean get the cases. 20 - 25 minutes later we are in Playa Blanca.

You can find them here:- http://www.arcarhire.com/car-hire/car-hire.php

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 pm 

Thank you very much everyone for all your relies to this post. It certainly makes life easier when you know some one has a positive experience. After two previous experiences in Tenerife - one with Avis who had overcharged by 150 on our credit card and the other with Sixt who on arrival tried to sell us extra insurance as apparently not all damage was covered by our uk booking ???? I have found it pays to double check! Luckily in both situations I stood my ground so apart from the extra unwanted hassel not out of pocket.

I'm assuming that the road system is quite clearly signposted and similar to Tenerife with good quality main roads. Actually we did find even the roads in out of the way places including up to Teide in very good condition.

Thanks once again for all your suggestions - off now to investigate!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm 

Most roads in Lanzarote are very good and extremely well sign posted.
I enjoy driving around the Island but also enjoy someone driving me round the Island, hence the reference to arrecifebus. Excellent network of services.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:58 pm 

Thank you....totally agree with being driven by someone else too! Especially having a nice lunch together with wine and not having to worry. Also as my husband spends many hours driving all over the uk and often abroad for work it is quite nice for him to have a rest and I am sure he will appreciate your suggestion. I do drive but although perfectly competent and not a nervous driver I do tend to leave driving abroad up to him as he has lots of experience and is quite happy to do so. Thanks also for the update on the road system. We will probably hire a car for a week as we also like to walk and it sounds as if there are some interesting walks in iether direction using the new promenade which goes some distance.

Many thanks