Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Current Weather in Costa Teguise?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am 

Hi,

Travelling to Costa Teguise next Sunday 16th June...I've keeping an eye on the weather over the last few weeks it doesn't seem to be that great?

Weather forecasts online predicting rain and temperatures of low 20s? My friends who visited a few ago who go often said that last week was the first time they had to buy their kids coats!

Is this normal or is it a case of the weather forecast not being accurate?! It been warmer than that here!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Current Weather in Costa Teguise?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:15 am 

Just found the daily update weather post

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:27 pm 

Hi
This article explains why the weather is likely to be less than perfect here this year.....
http://www.thelocal.es/20130527/Spain-b ... -Never-was

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 pm 

I don't think that applies to the Canary Islands, the prediction is for continental Europe, not us, we are a long way south of Spain. The weather today is lovely, blue skies and about 25°C.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:59 pm 

Hi
I agree that it does not directly refer to the Canaries,but given that the prediction is for the whole of mainland Europe and as the weather systems causing rain tend to approach from the west (remember school geography....the 4 W´s------warm,wet,westerly,winds :o ) meaning that we can be on the periphery of any cyclonic depression affecting Spain.......i.e the rain in Spain falls mainly on the (mainland ! :P )plain :( ......but we do see the clouds forming on their way there) :lol:
Surely you do agree that this May and June (so far) have been unusually cloudy and a few degrees cooler than the ´´norm´´( certainly over the past 7 years that I have lived here.)for this time of year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 pm 

Well yes, there is something in that, although, it is centred more on N Europe, it is only one forecaster's belief, and then only 70%, so no more than a probability. However, I agree the weather has been more cloudy than previous recent years. I've actually recorded max and min temps for the last three years - not particularly scientific, but with the same thermometer in the same sheltered spot. I'll have a look when I get back to my PC.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 pm 

Despite someone on Trip Advisor misleading people by saying it's 33C today, the temperature across the island is typically 23/24C. This is a couple of degrees below normal, and feeling less than that in the fresh wind. Temperatures have been below normal for some time now due to the Atlantic Ocean being cooler than normal after the cold spring. It's also been cloudier than normal with a constant northerly wind and long seatrack picking up moisture from the sea. Low pressure has given unsettled weather over the mainland, but we have been far enough south to miss that.

No real sign of any great change. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:24 pm 

Perhaps the person on Tripadvisor made the error of believing the temp on a farmacia electronic display! I have come to the conclusion they are either run by a pair of dice, or they are controlled by a thermometer unshielded from the direct sun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 am 

I agree there has been a lot more cloud than normal and lower tempratures. BUT there was a severly sunburnt man outside the health centre here in Playa Blanca last week. So even when its cloudy don´t forget the suncream.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 am 

Just to follow up on what I said earlier, I can't see any significant difference in the average maximum temperature from 20 March to 9 June I recorded in the last three years. However, that doesn't mean that the average daily temperature was the same each year. I certainly think that the combination of wind and cloud cover over the last few months has made it seem cooler. I still don't think that is any indication of what the Summer will be like as a whole, and I don't go along with the forecast (which seems Daliy Mail fodder) in thelocal.es

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 am 

There is a webcam at the beach bar which overlooks the beach at Costa Teguise, you can take a look for yourself, just search Beach bar Costa Teguise
:)