Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: dear or what
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:08 pm 

Well its pretty simple to see why its so expensive....
Kingsmill will be imported in fairly tiny quantities and will be only eaten by the mug british tourist who will only eat home comforts.

If your daughter will only eat kingsmill - make her pay for it out of her pocket money and explain why....!!

I remember the lesson I learnt - must have been about 9 or 10 I think was asked to pop out to get some washing up liquid. I picked up what i recognised - I remember it had the royal seal on, think was fairy - not realising that the local stuff was less than half the price. Parents weren't impressed that had spent nearly £3 on one bottle of washing liquid!!

Don't most people in lanza just get the freshly baked little crispy rolls daily? About 20p each? The sliced bread mings!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:31 pm 

I must admit I love the freshly baked rolls/baguettes and would never pay the rip off price for 'English' bread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:34 pm 

Local rolls and a packet of Sopa de Pollo

Perfect lunch :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:16 pm 

Foodie, you have answered your own question when you refer to (in this case) Kingsmill as ‘Home Comfort’. Now it might not be your idea of ‘comfort’ nor mine but if it were what my daughter wanted and we were on holiday and wanted to spoil ourselves a bit and I didn’t want to be priggish enough to deny her the comfort of an enjoyable lunch whilst on hols for the sake of the price of a pint then yes I’d splash out £2.80 for a loaf..
Possibly you would do the same thing yourself if you choose a non Lanzarotean cheap wine in favour of something a bit better, more expensive and non-spanish ? :wink:

In the meanwhile this doesn’t deflect from the fact that prices are up in Lanzarote, whether it’s the exchange rate or not doesn’t really matter to the tourist and Cy so what if you can get a beer for €1.30 in Arrecife that’s not going to be much use for Joe-Tourist, or even you unless you’re at a match.

I can get by probably cheaper than many tourists (but not as cheap as Cy :wink: ) because I’ve been there a few times and I have some idea of where’s cheap and where’s expensive, but that’s not much use to most tourists and to be honest I don’t want to spend my hols hunting out cheap shops, bars and restaurants.

Ole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 pm 

Are you ok Ole?! Thought you would be in a good mood today!

Well you have home comforts and then you have paying thick end of 3 quid for a loaf bread, which will be stale in seconds due to the heat and the local superior equivalent cost about 70p!

As i mentioned - my run in with the washing up liquid taught me the cost of british products abroad at an early age so feel well qualified to discuss this one!

And no you've picked a bad example Ole- 99 times out of 100 drink lanza or spanish wine in Lanza - the tarifs on other nations wine means that for the same price the spanish stuff is better. And when you have such a choice of rioja why look elsewhere....! Well not in Hiperdino but you know what i mean!

For me being one to one will actually prob make me save money - rather than just chucking everything in the trolley I will think - hang on that avocado is £3!! etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:08 pm 

Kinda goes back to my original thread of lanzarotty being overpriced....

Now even the regulars are starting to notice...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:00 pm 

I´m sure England is overpriced too!
Or am I being naive?
As I stated earlier in this thread, if you know where to go you can make serious savings.
Still €1.50 at Spenders Mon-Fri 1-7 for a pint of lager.

PS ole: Me and my mate go to Arrecife for a "look round" every week, it´s not difficult. I don´t mean this badly but Arrecife has alot to show tourists.
Now i´ll show my stupid side, you have to know where to go! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:05 pm 

hey foodie m8 we ve just paid 500 euros to get our own dog back and we r over the moon about it :lol:. 3 euros doesn t seem a lot to give your kids a slice of their favorite bread every day for a week especially when their on holiday, so many more important things than money in life even if you have none, after all your a long time dead and you can t take it with you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17 pm 

cymmon wrote:
PS ole: Me and my mate go to Arrecife for a "look round" every week,

Sounds dodgy to me.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 pm 

oh my god, someone has finally agreed with me, and a fair point about arrecife, but us tourist can be quite fickle, as oleoleole says tourist don't want to spend all their time hunting out the cheaper bars and resturants, i must adimt to a liking to the baked bread roll things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 pm 

Where s my dog wrote:
hey foodie m8 we ve just paid 500 euros to get our own dog back and we r over the moon about it :lol:. 3 euros doesn t seem a lot to give your kids a slice of their favorite bread every day for a week especially when their on holiday, so many more important things than money in life even if you have none, after all your a long time dead and you can t take it with you.

Glad you got your dog back hope he/she is ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 pm 

Ah yes Foodie so 1% of the time you DO spend the extra (and I'd question your maths there), but that's just for yourself , when you have kids you have to consider other people's preferences, like it or not. What will you do when your child just blatantly doesn't agree that the 70p local loaf is 'better quality' ? will you force feed them on it ? will a loaf of Kingsmill be a special 'treat' for when they're extra specially well behaved ?

Cy - yes if you know where to go you can make savings, and thats great for residents but who wants to go on holiday and have to hunt out where is cheap so as to avoid getting ripped off, holidays just aren't about that. And yes England can be overpriced also but that doesn't make Lanzarote cheap does it AND it just doesn't take into consideration the exchange rate which makes everything 10 - 20% more expensive in Lanzarote in the last 3 months for us earning in sterling - and that's the majority of Lanza tourists. I actually think you will find England extremely cheap when you get home - once you've worked out where to go :wink: and BTW I know (as do many people here) where you can get a pint of bitter or a bottle of san mig for 99p in virtually every city in the UK.

Ole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:21 am 

yes ole we love weatherspoons :lol: :lol: and lets not everyone forget asda smart price products :) i have to admit my daughter is a very fussy eater so when were abroad if it means she will eat properly i will pay the extra for english products she means more to me than money :wink: but getting back to the original post for eg ive always found tobacco alot cheaper in the canarys but i no of people who go to mainland spain and its now cheaper there than canaries,i can remember buying a loaf for e2.50 then the next day before we went home it was e2.75 just as the schools out season started now thats naughty :?

love meatxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:06 am 

Quote:
Sounds dodgy to me.....
= Lanzadump :lol:

You´ll have to let me know where all the cheap stuff can be found in the UK!!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:16 am 

Rotherham :wink:

Ole

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next