Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: dear or what
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 pm 

just returned from a 3 week holiday, xmas- new year, and i have to say it was very exspensive, not just because the pound-euro, but most, not all the resturants were charging stupid price's, on average around 60-70 euro's a night ie 2 starters 2 main meals 1 childs dinner for my 12 year old and a plate of chips for my 9 year old (fussy eater) 1 bottle house wine, and 2 soft drinks, now i think thats bloody exspensive, i certainly would'nt pay that in the uk, example, the kings head on the promenade 5 alcoholic drinks 4 soft drinks just over 31 euro's- £31, at home that would come to around £18, last year you would be lucky to get a table at the kings head this year it was empty most of the time they ve even stopped happy hour, i do think they ve changed hands, most places charge about 3-5 euros for a soft drink, it would have been cheaper to give my kids lager. i keep hearing the excuse that its an island, so is the uk, plus lanzarote is a tax free island, in the purfume shops they try to sell branded names for 40-50% more than what you would pay in the uk, thats why their shops were empty and their shelfs full. plus i have to say playa blanca has really lost its sparkle, and is suffering an identity crisis,there is so many chineese tat shops openend upto go with the resturants its more like hong kong and the stuff they sell is really poor quality and the same in every shop, its even creeping into the spainish shops buy toys for your children at your peril (choke pieces).the resort itself in the evening was like a ghost town a part from xmas eve and new years eve. ha ha i hear you cry a disgruntled holiday maker, nothing could be further from the truth, we have been 11 times in 7 years either 1 month or 3 weeks at a time and seen pb change, unfortunitly for the worse. we have got to know lanzarote pretty well, to the point where we use the big shops like ropers at deli land or chachon in tias now they are cheap we even look around the big cash and carry's , for example resturant owners can buy a bottle of cava for 1 euro 10 cents, they try to sell it for between 20-30 euros plus, you can even buy vina sol in the supermarkets for 2 euros 60cents the resturants sell between 15 18 euros, totally unjusjified a cross the board, even the fred olsen is massively over priced, it must be the most exsensive ferry crossing in the world and it only takes between 12-15 mins.poeple from lanzarote will say im over stating, but these people have a vested intreste they want your custom. i may paint a grim picture, but all is not lost, if your a first timer there is still alot to see and their are places that do offer good prices in fact mainly english, if you want value for money puerto del carmen is your best, but then you sacrifice on the accommodation. hope this helps be sensible and hunt out the cheeper bars and resturants they are there if you look.

Post subject: Re: dear or what
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:51 pm 

yes PDC is cheaper but what do you mean you sacrifice on the accomoodation if you stay in Carmen there are some lovely places to stay so not sure what that comment meant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:11 pm 

Hi Coolhand,
Iam sorry to hear about your disappointing holiday and what appears to have been very expensive trip. I cannot comment on the cost of things in PB or PDC - i only have feedback from holiday makers that come in our bar and it would appear that Costa Teguise is cheaper than them both. Most bars here are now charging between €1.50 and €2.50 for a large beer and soft drinks are between €1.50 and €2.00 - you can probably stick an extra euro on top of that for restaurants prices here but i cannot speak for all of them - it is just a generalisation.There are many restaurants doing all you can eat menus for around €8.00 plus and these are excellent value for money, as well as being good food.

If you come here again, give the resort a go - you may be surprised. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:44 pm 

Where did you go for food and drink? 5* establishments? Most soft drinks are €1.50, I´d tell them to put it back in the pumps if they charged €4. Today I purchased a large beer and a coke €3. Cava at €15-€18, no way. A good bottle can be bought for €8 even in a restaurant. 5 Alcoholic drinks plus 4 soft drinks, no more than €20.

Fred Olsen most expensive ferry, nope. Check the prices on the website. Though Naviera Armas are slightly cheaper.

I´ve been coming to Lanzarote for 16 years and lived here for 2 years. Never paid prices like that ever!
Yes there are alot of Chinese shops now, but some of them are closing due to the fact that people won´t buy the stuff they sell. Some of it is good, some rubbish. You just have to be choosy.

The road works are a pain, but Puerto del Carmen will benefit immensly from the upgrade. I, for one, can´t wait for my return to the Island next year.

Nowhere is perfect, Lanzarote has its faults but, sorry, you chose the wrong restaurants. Vote with your feet and wallet.

Childrens toys, probably a bit different to the UK but health and safety is more "lax" here, No ambulance chasers.

Can´t comment on perfume but will definately be cheaper than the UK, don´t pay the price on the bottle. Even Avon is cheaper. My good lady does this over here and you can get excellent deals.

It seems strange that you´ve come over so many times and still pay through the nose. I pay €1.30 for a beer in Arrecife. Ropers are good but some stuff is expensive. Deiland has a couple of nice cafes and a reasonably priced Hiperdino. (Another across the main road near to the airport).

I don´t have a vested interest in Lanza because I´m returning to the freezing cold that is England shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:01 pm 

hi laq in fairness i found price's in teguise cheaper, we had a nice breakfast for 2euro's 70 and did stay there on are first ever visit to lanzarote and maybe should have gone back although the resort is a little strung out, the point i was trying to make is bar and resturant owners have been in the last couple years complaining that the hotels are killing the trade in the towns, and actually our cheapest round of drinks was in the timiyfiya palace,which really should not be the case, therefor the bar and resturant owners are doing themselfs no favours, because there are bars and resturants out there giving good and reasonable price's so if they can do it so can the rest, i know the price's they buy in for by talking to various owners, so i put it down to pure greed,and what with the euro, we will be looking outside the euro zone for this years holiday, which is a shame as we love spain, greece, portugal, etc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:39 pm 

hi cymmon as i say most english bars are the most reasonable, but if i wanted to drink in a english pub i would have stayed at home and saved myself in all total nearly 5 grand, i don't want to go to spain and eat sausage mash and beans i can do that at home, don't get me wrong im not another lanzadump, as proberly the best holidays i have had have been on lanzarote, ive seen both my kids learn to swim and make many friends there, but the point im making is the owners are doing themselfs no favours, yes i have seen 1.50 for a beer (not quite a pint and with a big head) but not in playa blanca, you know what you can buy a litre of gin, vodka, whisky, for in the supermarkets, they get it even cheaper in the cash and carry's and bringing in direct from the mainland, my brother and his family came out with us for 2 week and spent most of their money in the first week, and yes they have been there before and were really shocked how dear it was, even ourselfs did not eat out know where near as many time's as we thought we would,when you consider we were there for a month oct-nov 2007, and yes i know the euro price's has changed, but price's have gone up, i went to estapona in august for 2weeks and the price's were a tadge dearer, same thing buy a bottle of wine in supermarket for about 1.90 only to see resturants selling same wine for 15 euro's, madness, and yes people will answer with their feet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:49 pm 

Come on then Coolhand......name and shame these 'rip off bars and restaurants' and do your bit to help other holiday makers who follow on behind you.
Surely if your so sore that your not going back you should look to promote those establishments that provided value for money so that they can go from strength to strength while the 'rip off merchants' fall by the wayside.

A question for La Esquina,
Is that 2 euro for a pint of a soft drink or for a half?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:14 am 

hey cymmon, where do you live, and what do you do, sorry i did'nt hear that, no vested intrest yer right , i am being totally honest with no axe to grind, i tell as i found thats all.
hey madstock i said next year i would not go back, not i would never go back, if price's got sensible again yes i would go back, as yes i do love the place, but resent being ripped off,
atlantico bar , kings head, playa blanca resturant, and the indian next door, and the indian up the high street, basically most place's on the lower prom, even the place's that were not to bad sent out food that had been cooked off , then deep fried and sent out, oh by the way my wife is a fully qualified chief and is a manager of a successfall resturant which has been open and busy for over 25 years just in case anyone did'nt think we are qualified to give an opinion, me just a humble decorater who enjoys nice food and nice wine, as i say i know most people on this site love lanzarote as i do and most people look to these sights for information as has i have done in the past, i am only giving my opinion, if you disagree thats fine thats your opinion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:24 am 

coolhand wrote:
oh by the way my wife is a fully qualified chief
Would that be Sitting Bull or Red Cloud? :lol:
Only joking mate........ OK then what are the bars you recommend and why??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:56 am 

im staying all inclusive at a certain bar in ct e1.50 a beer and free nuts all day yipeeeeeeeeeeeee come and join me everybody :lol:

love meatxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:57 am 

Come on then Meat, name and shame that bar!!!!!
How dare they charge only 1.50 a pint AND give away free nuts. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 am 

Hi Coolhand, I live in Puerto del Carmen.
I also don´t want to constantly eat English food. Fair deals I do use a few English bars and sometimes even have a sunday lunch. I love the little Tapas bars, especially in Arrecife. The food is cheap starting at €2.50 for a decent tapas, washed down with a local beer at €1.30.
If you move away from the "tourist areas" on some days of the holiday, you can experience spanish life on a budget.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:55 am 

Hi Madstock,
We charge €1.50 for a large beer and €2.00 for a large soft drink - cant speak for anybody else though :D
Meat - sorry mate we stopped doing the free nuts due to the British public watching a certain documentary on bacteria on nuts,so we ended up throwing more away than were being eaten :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:12 pm 

Wouldn't be a problem if you men learnt to be a washer as oppose to a walker :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:15 pm 

This is one great bar :D

http://www.canarynightlife.net/forum/in ... 587.0.html