Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: District Nursing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:55 am 

Hi

Anyone know much about district nursing services on the island? I am a community nurse and I was thinking about setting up an agency for nursing (not general care) services; such as: catheter care, wound management, chronic disease management and medication administration for patients in their own homes.
I am planning on visiting the island purely for research purposes soon

Many thanks for any advice on this topic

Zib

Post subject: Re: District Nursing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:18 am 

Hi
As far as I am aware your qualifications here are worth ´´diddley-squat´´.....you will have to complete a conversion course (equal to starting your career again) AND be fluent in written and spoken Spanish in order to be recognised and qualified here.......otherwise you become just another ´´care bear´´ working for English residents only and unable to provide anything but basic care as offering anything else would be illegal.....sorry but that is the case :?......as an ex-NHS emloyee qualified to degree level I know 8),,,,,,,,still can sometimes get a job as barstaff if you are lucky :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:11 pm 

But....there's nothing stopping you setting up an agency employing spanish qualified nursing staff?

I imagine the red tape would be horrendous but marginally quicker than having to requalify yourself under the spanish system.

Theres no shortage of elderly brits on the island - but not sure if there's enough to make a go of it.

Good luck - much more intesting line of business than the usual jobbing bar worker who's prepared to work 30 hours a day 8 days a week... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:22 am 

Hi
The nursing agencies I know of are run by Spanish qualified owners....after all how can you be responsible for a level of care that you are not qualified in (at least qualified over here) ....answer you can´t !!
So you would still need to qualify first, then jump through the many bureaucratic hoops over here to open......wish it was so simple....but it isn´t....nothing stopping you setting up a ´´home care´´agency as long as you do not employ qualified staff...... for example: if you as an individual give someone a paracetamol or aspirin(just one never mind other more potent drugs) without being licenced or qualified to do so, then you are liable to prosecution under Spanish drug laws !!!! stupid I know but true :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:22 am 

Hi Lanza local - I don't want to labour the point but there is no law preventing someone owning and running a company in an area they do not have specific qualifications - my brother in law runs a nursing agency firm in mainland spain - he has no healthcare qualifications whatsoever - he is purely an entrepreneur who saw a gap in the market and employs fully qualified staff and managers to run the business. Am sure having a medical background might help but being a manager or entrepreneur is a skill in its own right.