Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: driving at night
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:20 pm 

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and just need a bit of advise.
My hubby and I are going to faro park in playa blanca on sept 12th. We land at 21.30 and have hired a car. Never been to Lanzarote before.
What is it like driving in the dark, are the roads well sign posted? We have been sent directions but when its dark and the driving is a little different (driving on different side of road) the ordeal can be a bit more nerve racking. :?
Any advise will be very much appreciated.

Thank you x

Post subject: Re: driving at night
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:38 pm 

You have a basically straight run to Playa Blanca. The roads in the middle between Yaiza and P.B are not lit but not a problem.
All roads are well signposted, well the main routes.
The worst part is getting out of the airport, after that a few roundabouts then a good run to P.B.

Leaving the Airport, you will already see signs for Yaiza, then Playa Blanca within a short distance.
Just take care, don´t rush and any other vehicles on the road will overtake when they are ready.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:57 pm 

The roads are pretty quiet at that time of night. They are modern with good surfaces and good signs. The LZ 2 dual carriageway runs past the airport, and goes all the way to Playa Blanca. You have to go under the LZ 2 and round a cloverleaf slip road onto the LZ2 at the airport. After that, it's a dual carriageway for a few miles, then a good main road with a couple of roundabouts. Speed limit on the dual carriageway is 100KPH (62mph) then various speeds until you get past Yaiza, when its a long straightish road with a 90KPH limit. There are 2 parallel roads going from Yaiza to PB, so don't get alarmed by seeing lights on the other one you are not going the wrong way down a dual carrriageway.

For directions within PB, go onto Google Maps and type in the address. For Faro park turn right at the first roundabout as you enter PB, and follow the dual carriageway for about 2 miles. Watch out for mini roundabouts, and remember to give way to traffic from your LEFT on them.

It will take about 40 to 45 minutes from the airport car park to Faro Park. By the way, Faro Park takes its name from a huge lighthouse on the coast about 1/4 mile away, so when you see that flashing, you know you're nearly there.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:12 am 

I've looked into this prior to my own trip, and as others have said it's fairly easy, the worst thing probably being leaving the airport itself. I found this very handy video below on Youtube which shows you the route out of the airport. Hope this helps. The gent who put this up also has other useful videos for driving around parts of the island. One of his videos shows how to get to some of the big hotels as well. It's so useful being able to see where you're going - especially as UK flights arrive at night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCI3Vb6r1w8

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 am 

Thank you guys, will check out you tube, One good thing is my hubby is a confident driver and has drove abroad before. So fingers crossed all will be ok. x :P

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:09 pm 

We drove back to PB a few times at night from PDC and like people say the roads are of good standard, well lit, and signposted.

The only problem we had was when we were stopped by a police checkpoint at the 1st roundabout coming into PB.

Although the driver had their driving licence and we had the car documents they wanted to see ID from all of the passengers in the car. We unfortunately did not have our passports on us and after explaining they were at the hotel they eventually let us go. They did say however we were lucky to not be taken to the station and fined for this.

This was something we were not made aware of so I'd suggest that you all carry ID when travelling by car to avoid the problems we had. I think the main reason is in case of an accident so everyone is identifiable. Some of the people that live in Lanzarote may be able to advise on this???

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm 

Nope, it´s so the police can get a bonus.
Only the driver needs to show full ID, licence (ie: id) trouser size, proof of age, bank details....... :wink:

No, basically, the driver is responsible, a full uk card licence (use the paper part too) is enough, you need no other info apart from rental car agreement, which (if you use a decent one) will be in the car. This shows all insurance and proof of where you are staying etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:38 pm 

cymmon wrote:
Nope, it´s so the police can get a bonus.
Only the driver needs to show full ID, licence (ie: id) trouser size, proof of age, bank details....... :wink:

No, basically, the driver is responsible, a full uk card licence (use the paper part too) is enough, you need no other info apart from rental car agreement, which (if you use a decent one) will be in the car. This shows all insurance and proof of where you are staying etc.

Thank you, Do we have to take the paper part of the licence aswell, rental company didnt mention this when i reserved the car on-line.
x

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm 

Take the paper part, they may ask for it, although in more than 25 occasions of hiring cars here, I was never asked, but better safe than sorry.

As in UK there is a bit of a problem with drink driving here, so the police do check, especially at night. They also have purges on speeding too with radar traps. Since it's a small island, and you are on holiday, there really is no need to speed

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:31 pm 

I believe it is law that all persons carry some kind of ID whether it is an ID card or passport etc and you don't have to be driving for this to happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:10 pm 

A lot of European countries have ID cards, and require their own citizens to carry them, but I've never heard of anyone from the UK being obligated to do so, and have certainly never done so myself, nor has anyone else I know. For most people it would mean carrying their passport everywhere, and I certainly wouldn't want to do that - we always lock them away in the safe. Just sounds like they're up to no good to me...

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 pm 

I too was under the impression that everyone on the island was technically, legally obliged to carry their passport or other acceptable (to the Police) identification at all times.
I cannot recall who told me this and as we always carry our residencias then I never bothered to find out if it was correct or not.
I suppose as our residencias have now expired, it would be a good idea to find out one way or the other.

The problem here though is that whoever you ask, be it a policeman or lawyer or whatever, could you rely on what they tell you to be a legally correct answer rather than just their opinion of what the answer should be.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 pm 

http://secret-tenerife.blogspot.com/200 ... spain.html

Here is an interesting bit of info from elsewhere on the net...

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 pm 

Having read around a bit, it seems the consensus is to carry a photocopy of your passport or some other form of photographic id...

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:47 pm 

The current residencia is no good as ID, because it is a green A4 sheet with your address, but no photo. Even using it to get a small discount going into Manrique's house, I had to show my driving licence too to prove I hadn't borrowed someone else's residencia.