Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Entertainment venues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:02 am 

Greetings

Its My first post so please be gentle!

I'm an entertainer (Comedy) and currently making steps to make myself legal to work on the Island i.e. works contract, health insurance & public liability insurance etc. through a management company on the island.

The question(s) I would like to ask is now the island seems to be recovering from what was a 'quiet period' are the venues that can accommodate acts booking again, is there a shortage of comedy acts on the Island both in PDC and PB and are long term rental properties within the price range of 500-1000 PM hard to find?

Any information or answers to my questions would be very much appreciated

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Entertainment venues
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:02 am 

Hi
I personally know of no comedians appearing in either PDC or PB at the moment.....in fact have not seen a comedian anywhere here since my early days here ...over 9 years ago......now I do not know why, but I can say that bookings will be hard to come by as regards bars etc as the island is not big on entertainment as a whole(the island is mainly a live music place with solos artists and the odd group , rather than a comedian/hypnotist/ other type of act)..frequently the same faces appearing regularly on different nights in both locations....so I wish you luck ....
As to accommodation this is where you will struggle ,,,,,there are now extremely few long term rentals available ( think of finding rocking horse pooh !!)...and what there are work out very expensive ....I know of many peple who have tried to find rentals in the last few months ....and have been unsuccessful and returned to their country of origin after a few weeks,,,,,,again good luck in this regard
Buene suerte :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:40 am 

Lanzalocal, Having seen your name pop up on several posts on this website and giving honest and straight forward replies to questions, I appreciate your reply to my post so cheers for that!

So it seems that my main obstacle will be finding suitable accommodation which obviously is a major factor in coming to the Island, maybe tentative accommodation first off during which time I will showcase the act in PDC, PB and possibly CT to gauge the response of venues in those areas and if that comes up positive then I'll take it from there.

One can try!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:07 am 

Personally I would concentrate my gig finding efforts to CT and PDC....large numbers of Brit /Irish bars rather than PB (only a handful) and a more ´´international´´ clientele.....so unless you can ´´gag´´ in German/French/Russian etc you may find it a bit of a problem :( whereas the other two resorts have many English speaking punters :D .....on the negative side most bars only have musicians as an alternative to recorded music ....bars here are not big on the spoken word as entertainment as it is really just ´´background´´ noise that they are after....just visit a few to see how unappreciated the artistes are :shock: ..... be advised that the pay is pretty low as well (around 100€ per night for an established act with a reasonable following :? less if getting started ------you may find you will initially be working for a few euros and as much beer as you can sup whilst working :wink: ---AI has pretty much killed the numbers required to fill bars nowadays hence the low pay.).....anyway then very best of luck as there is little or no competition in your field.. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:19 am 

Cheers again for the info Lanzalocal,

I actually worked the entertainment circuit on the Island from 2000-2003 when in those days it was buzzing with evening entertainment and almost all the popular bars had some act...anyway I'll give it a go now in 2016 and see where it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:31 am 

You will notice a massive change then since 2003 in holiday ´´habits´´ particularly due to the irresistable rise of the ´´All-inclusive´´ ;nearly every hotel and even apartment complexes now offer this in some form or other :( .....used to own a bar myself and used to have occassional acts on......stopped that in 2009 as just simply could not afford the cost :? ..,.and there were never enough people in the place to warrant it :cry: ...some of the more ´´front-line´´ places have resident bands or regular artistes ....but the prices are higher and they need to be fairly busy to pay for the entertainment....hard to find many non ´´front- .line bars´´ nowadays more than half-full( you see although tourism numbers are rising most tend to be AI or on a budget ..you know cheap flights,cheap accommodation ,cheap beer and if you cater for these then entertainment is way down on your list as an owner ...if on the list at all :x ) ,as mentioned, why pay for beer and entertainment when the hotel offer ´´free´´ beer and some form of their own animation team offering entertainment....if you are set on the Canaries then both Tenerife and Gran Canaria offer much wider scope...including a better availability of long term rental lets.
Hopefully you will find places willing to ´´take a chance´´ on a different act ...but I think you may be disappointed at the lack of suitable venues these days......but nothing ventured eh ?.