Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fish Restaurants Playa Blanca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:34 pm 

Hi
We are coming out to Playa Blanca soon and although we will probably have a trip out to El Golfo for a meal we would welcome any suggestions for restaurants in Playa Blanca that are particularly recommended for good fish.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Fish Restaurants Playa Blanca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:42 pm 

Tipico Canario on the front, just before the Princess Yaiza hotel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 pm 

Majority of restaurants do fish in some way or form however my 2 favourites would be Brisas Marina which is pretty much in the middle of the front facing the town beach, or my favourite (despite sometimes getting service with a frown) is Casa Pedro which is one of the oldest restauarants in the town. Just to the side of the town beach with great views.

IMO has the most pleasant ambience, decor and his fresh fish is sublime (has his own fishing boat) - they will normally just ask do you want todays fresh fish, no need to look at the menu just agree and wash down with a bottle of vina sol! Sorted! Calamari is good too.
Generally has more of a spanish crowd in which is a good sign!Sorted!

At golfo make sure you try the puntillas - most of the restaurants do them - deep fried baby squid!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:49 am 

Thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to try them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm 

Agree on Casa Pedro recommendation, lovely fresh fish. Also Rocamar on the front too....lovely atmosphere and the best food.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 pm 

I don't eat fish, so can't comment on the food, but Rocamar probably has the least surly staff on the prom, in fact pleasant. We just returned home to PB from Venice, and the staff there were friendly and generally helpful, wanting to recommend the best way to get somewhere, a good museum etc. What a difference to the norm on the promenades here. Strangely, the service in villages and inland towns here is much better - you don't feel like you are a nuisance wasting their day as you do on the front, especially in Pedro's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 pm 

RocaMar best place had my wedding reception there last June. waiters always nice, food and views you cannot want for more. Had a rocamar salad today very nice. Food is food but the experiance is what we all want. Everyone has their favorite but i am sure the rocamar gives you all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 am 

john b wrote:
I don't eat fish, so can't comment on the food, but Rocamar probably has the least surly staff on the prom, in fact pleasant. We just returned home to PB from Venice, and the staff there were friendly and generally helpful, wanting to recommend the best way to get somewhere, a good museum etc. What a difference to the norm on the promenades here. Strangely, the service in villages and inland towns here is much better - you don't feel like you are a nuisance wasting their day as you do on the front, especially in Pedro's.

Interesting you should say that John B. We used to holiday in PB but prefer PDC these days. When we did stay there we tried Pedro on several others recommendations and didn't enjoy our experience at all. The food was ok but nothing special, especially at the price charged, and the service was exactly as you describe. We didn't feel welcome at all :twisted: Not what we want when shelling out the hard-earned holiday money!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:00 pm 

I agree with Anne, PDC much nicer and more friendly with plenty to do for everyone. Best Tapas in the Old Town @ La Lonja or in Tias @ La Ermita.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:41 pm 

....but they are going to Playa Blanca phil!!

Each to their own and all that! And I would say the opposite!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:12 am 

Yes Foodie, each to their own. Wasn't criticizing Playa Blanca, just stating my preference. Have to agree to disagree with Phil regarding La Lonja. It's ok, but feel the food isn't anywhere near as nice as it used to be. La Vela offers much better tapas imho, but......as we said, each to their own.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:29 am 

I think the best tapas in PdC is at Taberna Niño, but that doesn't count as a fish restaurant in PB :)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm 

We got back last night from a fabulous holiday staying in P B .

I read with interest the further posts about the fish restaurants on my phone while we were there (reading the forum on the phone is very high-tech for me and there was no way I would have been able to post from the phone).

In view of the mixed comments on Pedro’s (it seems it is either loved or hated) we approached with a certain amount of trepidation. However we were served efficiently by three waiters who answered our few questions about the meal, changed the wine cooling jacket when I asked, and served a superb fish of the day to two of us and a sole to the third for a very enjoyable lunch. There were two or three tables of Spanish customers there and the waiters had much longer conversations with them but then if I cannot speak Spanish I consider it my problem not the restaurant’s. The food and wine were not cheap but the fish was excellent and the staffing levels seemed higher than some of the other establishments we visited on the island. Our specific difficulty there was access as Mum, who was with us for this visit, is a wheelchair user and the steps and ramp were too steep for access to the inside of the restaurant in the evening and as meals were not served outside on the evening we first tried we had a lunch outside a couple of days later.

Had a pleasant lunch of prawns in Tipico Canario.

Our favourite in P B for the holiday was probably the Rocamar which was excellent for fish, service, location and atmosphere. We ate in the Rocamar twice and, on both occasions, we all had their fish of the day.

The one off putting experience of the various suggestions was the Brisas Marina where we had coffee one morning to check out their menu and found the waiter very unfriendly and gave us the impression he was trying to hurry us, and other tables, out (bill brought without asking very shortly after the coffee was served and then came to check if we had put our money in the bill folder before we had even finished drinking the coffee). We didn’t bother to revisit for a meal.

Many thanks for the responses as I was not particularly familiar with P B restaurants and it is difficult to tell what a place is like from the outside. As I see comparisons have been made on this thread with PDC my own view, based on a couple of stays in PB, was always that the PDC old town/harbour area had better restaurants than PB. This visit has convinced us that there are also good ones in PB. My own favourite fish restaurant in PDC (for many years now) for an all round good experience is the Mardeleva overlooking the harbour and despite the slopes and steps we managed to get the car almost to the table to take Mum there for a meal this visit.

Hope to be back in the Autumn for our usual visit to PDC.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 pm 

Mardeleva is my favourite PdC restaurant.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:38 pm 

Sticking on the Restaurant theme where would it be best for my myself and my good lady to go to should we want a decent steak ?