Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Going to Puerto DEL Carmen in Feb 14'-Please help with info
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:20 pm 

Hi, we are planning to come in Feb 2014 for a week and wanted a good location for a hotel (or apartment) which is close to the beach and a 10 min stroll from the old town area and other strip with bars etc...(not sure which is nicest out of the 2)
We have a 4 yr old and want to be centrally located with somewhere nice (not too expensive to stay) either All inclusive or self catering...
Can someone who lives out there help where reccommendations on well located hotels and/or apartments.

We would really appreciate any help as we have never been to Lanzarote previously and want a nice pool for our 4yr old and close to beach and not too far for her to walk into town on a night time...

cheers,
Andrew & Amanda.

Post subject: Re: Going to Puerto DEL Carmen in Feb 14'-Please help with i
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:31 pm 

Northeastguy01 wrote:
Hi, we are planning to come in Feb 2014 for a week and wanted a good location for a hotel (or apartment) which is close to the beach and a 10 min stroll from the old town area and other strip with bars etc...(not sure which is nicest out of the 2)
We have a 4 yr old and want to be centrally located with somewhere nice (not too expensive to stay) either All inclusive or self catering...
Can someone who lives out there help where reccommendations on well located hotels and/or apartments.

We would really appreciate any help as we have never been to Lanzarote previously and want a nice pool for our 4yr old and close to beach and not too far for her to walk into town on a night time...

cheers,
Andrew & Amanda.

Try La Penita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm 

los cocoteros is right over the beach and a lot nearer to the old town than la penita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm 

Very few of that live here would recommend all inclusive, because it usually gives you the minimum standard they can get away with. However, it does have the advantage that, if you can put up with it, you know how much the holiday will cost. Against that, eating out here is cheaper than in UK, and although supermarket prices are more, perhaps what you'd expect in a small town in a remote area of UK, supermarket alcohol is very cheap. so, it might just be worth looking at self catering, especially if you intend to go out to eat and drink sometimes. If you look at a site like ownersdirect.co.uk, there is plenty of self catering of a high standard, because they compete on quality, unlike AI hotels who compete on cost. From a cost point of view, it depends on timing, a AI or half board hotel package including airfare might be cheaper than self catering but less private ans more regimented. BTW, Carmen is the brashest, noisiest resort, Playa Blanca and Costa Teguise have equally good beaches, hotels, restaurants and bars, but are significantly quieter. It depends what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 pm 

john b wrote:
BTW, Carmen is the brashest, noisiest resort, Playa Blanca and Costa Teguise have equally good beaches hotels restaurants and bars, but are significantly quieter.

You're far too kind to Puerto del Carmen John!

On a more constructive note, you could try the Atlantis Las Lomas apartments, which are more or less halfway between the old town and the new town in PDC. They have two main pools and one children's pool, there's a decent pool bar for sandwiches etc. during the day (or evening), and it's 10 mins walk from the harbour in the old town. (There's a playground in the middle of some of the restaurants there in the harbour, which is very handy for keeping four-year-olds amused). The main beach and strip are 5 mins walk away. Just be sure to avoid Cardiac Hill on the way down to the beach: take a left at the top of it for a more leisurely stroll down.

I had friends stay there in a two-bed apartment last year with a four-year-old and a four-month-old, and they were delighted with it. Have a look on Trip Advisor too for location, comments, and pictures.

If you were splashing the cash, you could have a look at Apartamentos Fariones which is also about halfway between the old town and new town.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:41 am 

Well, Pubspy, re your allusion that my comment was destructive, I would say it was pretty accurate. I don't have a problem with PdC, especially the old town, but the strip certainly is the noisiest and brashest of any tourist spot on the island. From many reports, it is the only place you get assailed by PRs if you walk down it at night. The OP says they don't know the island, so I thought I'd point out there are places other than PdC that they might consider.

The old town is quieter, but many of the places to stay are wuite an uphill climb from the beaches.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 am 

BTW, Carmen is the brashest, noisiest resort,

We think your comment is not a true reflection of PDC.

The strip is noisy but it only forms a small part of the resort, we have been many times and find that on the whole PDC suits our purpose two old age pensioners.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am 

If you consider the strip as the part between the Fariones and San Antonio Hotels, it's hardly a small part of PdC and it is, from what others say, the only part of the island where the PRs operate in strength. However, the old town is much different, and contains two of my favourite restaurants on the island.

Anyway, I'm not trying to denigrate PdC, just to suggest the alternatives. For all I know the OPs might want exactly the atmosphere the strip provides.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:52 am 

Going back to the original question, I can thoroughly recommend the Montana Apartments. 5 minutes walk from the strip, no hill :D , Spar and Pizzeria Mozzerella just round the corner. The apartments themselves are spacious, airy and well equipped. You just have to request one that gets the sun in the day, otherwise they can be a bit nippy if the temperatures dip. I was in 227 this January and it got the sun for most of the afternoon. It is self-catering there, and you have a toaster, microwave and hob (latter unused on my part). Wouldn't dream of going AI again; been there, danced round other folks to queue up to eat buffet food that someone else has decided I will eat, drunk wine and beer ditto, and cocktails made with cheap and nasty ingredients that glow in the dark. Self-catering is so cheap in Lanzarote; you make the decision of where to eat and how much to spend. Part of the fun of my holiday is deciding where I'll go, if it's to see new places and people and what cuisine tickles my palate that day. Large mug of coffee and toast with marmalade in the morning sitting on my own balcony set me up every day, smashing! I only ever needed one meal (usually a late lunch) in the day after that.
I might add that I went on my own as my husband had to drop out last minute. I was never made to feel uncomfortable in any bar or restaurant; in fact I was warmly welcomed and well looked after.
As so many have made the point before, AI is a good idea for places like Egypt etc; it really doesn't make sense in Lanzarote. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:02 am 

Try the Barcarola, they are on the Avenida and have a kids play area. Although near bars and restaurants they are still very quiet. We stayed there last Christmas and thought they were great, best bit being no great big hills to climb on your way home.

http://www.barcarolaclub.com/eng/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:39 pm 

Barcarola is very nice. For a budget option, we stayed all inclusive at Los Hibiscos in May and 19 of us are going back there in October for our wedding anniversary. Apartments are huge, great location (is up a short hill). Kid's pool is not the best but nothing to stop you using the main pool (has a shallow 'island' in the centre) which the kids love. Also has a small swing park in the grounds but the one on the prom previously mentioned is literally at the bottom of the hill. Food and drink were very good for the price we paid. Be aware that most of the accommodation in PDC is basic - you get what you pay for so if you want luxury, you will pay a lot more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:20 pm 

We always stay at Jable Bermudas. They are a couple of minutes walk to the beach/main strip, and about 10 minutes to old town.

Very clean and large 2 star apartments and very reasonably priced. Pool has a kids section and there is a pool bar serving good food at good prices. Would suggest an apartment on reception side of the road.

Will be arriving there on Saturday and cant wait.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 pm 

frankmac2 wrote:
We always stay at Jable Bermudas. They are a couple of minutes walk to the beach/main strip, and about 10 minutes to old town.

Very clean and large 2 star apartments and very reasonably priced. Pool has a kids section and there is a pool bar serving good food at good prices. Would suggest an apartment on reception side of the road.

Will be arriving there on Saturday and cant wait.

I would recommend the Jables myself, we have stayed in the Flora and the Balcon in the old town and also the Jables and the Plaza Palmeras in the new town.

The Jables is best out of them for location, 2x large Spars almost next door and 5 minutes from beach and strip, pool area is nice good pool bar and all the people are very pleasant.