Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: halloween
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:47 pm 

Does halloween get celebrated in lanzarote? It really seems to be taking off in the uk and i wondered if my daughter should bring something appropriate? We are staying in faro park so anywhere in PB would be fab. 8)

Post subject: Re: halloween
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:58 pm 

I rather suspect not.

Being a catholic country, I am sure they would look amazed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 pm 

Hi,

Not sure about PB but the kids did last year in PDC. My place is on a residential street and I was suprised to see all the young ones out in fancy dress, playing in th street and knocking on doors for trick or treating. I had about 15 crammed on my steps for a 'treat' and they emptied a big bowl of sweets between them.

In the apartment below was an english couple staying with their small granddaughter on holiday. The little girl had bought a fancy dress outfit with her and she was stood on the patio looking amazed at all the kids on the street. What was really nice was as they all clambered down my stairs and ran down the path one young spanish boy ran back and gave her a handful of sweets.

Maybe it was different being in a residential area rather than on a tourist complex but I would say, Catholic or not, the tradition was there in my part of PDC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:52 am 

s5hez wrote:
Hi,

Maybe it was different being in a residential area rather than on a tourist complex but I would say, Catholic or not, the tradition was there in my part of PDC.

'The tradition' is in America, not the UK nor Spain. Some suggest that it is almost devil worship. They are certainly a pest round here.This trick or treating is great till you ask them for the treat ! :lol:

The Spanish don't even celebrate Christmas either but the sixth of January, to celebrate the magi who visited Jesus.

We wouldn't send our kids knocking on strangers doors anyway. Keep your little one's safe.

p.s. When we were in CT last December, there were pics of a little spanish lad who had disappeared, all over the place. He was about 8 years old and wore glasses.

His pic was alongside the little girls pic from the UK who had been kidnapped in the Algarve.

Did they find the little lad ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:10 pm 

I wouldn't go knocking on doors but there are some great nights going on around the town in restaurants and bars - just ask your villa management company or take a look at the posters around the town to find the best places!
The Canarians do recognise Halloween as it has been brought to the island with the tourists and so you do see many kids dressing up these days and going around to get sweets - but unlike the UK they "knock" at bar doors and restaurants (especially British owned) and get their goodies this way!
Nina & Paul