Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hols soon!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:36 pm 

Hi all,
My wife & I have booked a week from 10th - 17th Jan staying here;

http://www.lanzarote-playablanca.co.uk/maps/Villa_Malvasia.html

There will have 8 other people with us, & I want to find out the best couple of places to shop for 10 people,

somewhere really cheap for most of the food,

another where I can buy authentic food,

Seafood!

Also if there is any advice for beach, scenic visits, social life etc, It will be very welcome. Thanks

Dicky & Ju

Post subject: Re: Hols soon!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:14 pm 

Hiya!

The cheapest supermarket is called Hiperdino. I only know how o get to it on foot. Take the main road running east from where you are and, when you get to the bus depot on the left, turn into the buildings across the road on the right. About 20 yards down, hang another right and it's tucked away in ther.

Later, head for the Harbour and go east along the coast. You'll find the best restaurants there to start with, then you can venture inland, if you wish. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm 

On the social side of things, if you like live music try The Old Mill on a Wednesday night to see Lee Barber or on a Thursday night to see Lee and his son Ricky. They are both good entertainers and brilliant guitarists.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:07 pm 

Hiperdino is the biggest and best supermarket in PB. The two netto's are ludicrously expensive although have a better booze selection than hiperdino's. Your average uk asian corner shop has a better wine selection!

Marcial by the roundabout is also pretty good if you need to pick up a couple of things.

Pedros on the seafront is prob the most authentic restaurant. Fish fish and fish though not super cheap and the staff can be a bit surly but that tends to be the way in Lanza! But has the best venue and position as has been there since the 70s.

Walking the full length of the promenade is a nice thing to do in the evening if you fancy something different from the one man and a beat box which pervades most of the bars try the jazz bar in the yaiza princessa hotel, called 4 lunas I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:36 pm 

double your spending money its mega exspensive, going to write tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:29 am 

Well its only expensive in the sense that the pound has lost 30% of its value against the Euro from last year.

Previously it was considerably cheaper than the UK - now I would say it was about the same. If you eat out every meal every day of course it will cost you a fortune - but eating in is great value and using local brands will save you money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:05 pm 

Having spent fortnights in 2008 in Javea and Marbella we didn't find the restaurants in Lanzarote any more expensive over Christmas when comparing the prices in Euros.

Our favourite was Almacen de Sal where the food was superb and although it looked more expensive than most of the other restaurants it actually wasn't

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:08 pm 

Interesting. When we were researching Playa Blanca, before our first ever visit, that was the first restaurant I looked at. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:31 pm 

just returned from a 3 week holiday, xmas- new year, and i have to say it was very exspensive, not just because the pound-euro, but most, not all the resturants were charging stupid price's, on average around 60-70 euro's a night ie 2 starters 2 main meals 1 childs dinner for my 12 year old and a plate of chips for my 9 year old (fussy eater) 1 bottle house wine, and 2 soft drinks, now i think thats bloody exspensive, i certainly would'nt pay that in the uk, example, the kings head on the promenade 5 alcoholic drinks 4 soft drinks just over 31 euro's- £31, at home that would come to around £18, last year you would be lucky to get a table at the kings head this year it was empty most of the time they ve even stopped happy hour, i do think they ve changed hands, most places charge about 3-5 euros for a soft drink, it would have been cheaper to give my kids lager. i keep hearing the excuse that its an island, so is the uk, plus lanzarote is a tax free island, in the purfume shops they try to sell branded names for 40-50% more than what you would pay in the uk, thats why their shops were empty and their shelfs full. plus i have to say playa blanca has really lost its sparkle, and is suffering an identity crisis,there is so many chineese tat shops openend upto go with the resturants its more like hong kong and the stuff they sell is really poor quality and the same in every shop, its even creeping into the spainish shops buy toys for your children at your peril (choke pieces).the resort itself in the evening was like a ghost town a part from xmas eve and new years eve. ha ha i hear you cry a disgruntled holiday maker, nothing could be further from the truth, we have been 11 times in 7 years either 1 month or 3 weeks at a time and seen pb change, unfortunitly for the worse. we have got to know lanzarote pretty well, to the point where we use the big shops like ropers at deli land or chachon in tias now they are cheap we even look around the big cash and carry's , for example resturant owners can buy a bottle of cava for 1 euro 10 cents, they try to sell it for between 20-30 euros plus, you can even buy vina sol in the supermarkets for 2 euros 60cents the resturants sell between 15 18 euros, totally unjusjified a cross the board, even the fred olsen is massively over priced, it must be the most exsensive ferry crossing in the world and it only takes between 12-15 mins.poeple from lanzarote will say im over stating, but these people have a vested intreste they want your custom. i may paint a grim picture, but all is not lost, if your a first timer there is still alot to see and their are places that do offer good prices in fact mainly english, if you want value for money puerto del carmen is your best, but then you sacrifice on the accommodation. hope this helps be sensible and hunt out the cheeper bars and resturants they are there if you look.