Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ideal locations in Lanzarote
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:06 am 

still planning ahead with the move next year while keeping an eye out for what happens with Brexit

I would like to live somewhere outside Puerto Del Carmen max 30 mins drive and was wondering if there were any areas that would not be so welcoming having me there being non spanish

I did look at a house in Lanzarote, El Cuchillo , the house was stunning but the surrounding area seemed a bit run down

any advice on areas to avoid would be welcome

Post subject: Re: Ideal locations in Lanzarote
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:44 am 

Hi again Glaz
In actual fact nowhere on the island is more than 30 mins drive to PDC....it only takes around 40 mins to drive from the southernmost part ,Playa Blanca to the northernmost part ,Orzola,.....so as PDC is pretty much in the middle then 30 mins would be easily achievable from anywhere.....as to fitting in... I too until recently was a lone Brit, in a very Spanish village, and had no problems being accepted and fitting in( mind you I do speak basic Spanish which was a help as nobody here spoke or in some cases even understood English)...areas to avoid...well none really ,although certain areas of the capital Arrecife are ,shall we say,less salubrious than others,,,but even so I would not let that preclude me from living there ,,,,given the state of the rental market at present,,,,it being hard to impossible to obtain a place to live if you are not actually here and able to snap up a place as soon as it becomes available...whatever you decide, good luck with your proposed relocation. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:18 pm 

thanks for that info :D

next question we are a gay couple do you think it will be wiser to stay in the tourist area or will the towns further out be ok with that or will we have probs ?

and we plan to buy a house not rent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:37 pm 

Cannot foresee any problems with being a gay couple...especially as Spain was one the first countries in Europe to allow same-sex marriage.( several LGBT couples here,and in the next village)....nobody here would bat an eyelid about your sexuality...it is a very open and welcoming island whatever colour,creed or orientation you are..

...buying a house is always better value outside the resorts rather than in them...plus a greater range of choice too....especially inland areas such as I live in where house prices are less than two- thirds of the prices on the coast..

...however a recent spate of ´´incomers´´ and ´´2nd homers´´ have pushed the prices up to unrealistic levels ( eg house a few doors away, was for sale for years ,and during the recession was for sale at ´´offers around 80,000€ -ish´´.....and never saw a viewing....now during the ´´boom-time´´ it is ´´offers above 140,000€ ´´( no difference except it has stood vacant for in excess of 7 years) but now seeing a viewing almost every few days...but doubt it will move as it requires at least the same spending on it to rectify 7 years of neglect ....plus disconnection from water and power grids ,which means paying possibly 7 years of outstanding bills, before they will re-connect.
Good luck with your house -hunting 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:17 pm 

thats great to hear about locals being open minded :D

I have been keeping an eye out on prices ( including a £12000 increase since Brexit :oops: )
and def more value for money if I get something outside the resorts which I would be happy to do