Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: info about moving here
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:24 pm 

Okay. I really have tried to look this info up but obviously I've failed so any help is appreciated.

The plan is in a couple of years time to move with my parents to lanzarote. Buy (probably) a 3 bed villa. And ideally live there full time eventually.

My parents will be about ~58 and coming into various pensions around then. (will they get less pension due to it being taxed by Spain?) They are both more than willing to work at pretty much anything. (my mum can do beauty therapy and nursing and my dad has experience as a teacher and supermarket manager. Both have experience as shopworkers and waitressing in their past but as I said they don't care what. Waitressing/barwork/maid work/shop).

I however am a dependant. I'm chronically ill and mostly bedbound. The move will make me more housebound though. Which is a massive difference to me.

I've read that if we are staying for longer than 3 months we have to apply for residency. But other places say 6 months?

We wouldn't be living there full time to start with. And if staying within these limits would make it easier to transition our lives over then that's fine too.

Basically what I want to know is how viable is this? What else do we have to take in to account? Is it likely that they will refuse me residency because I am sick even though my parents are fully able to work and will have savings? Id obviously have to stop my uk benefits and not be able to claim anything in Spain. I'm fine with this. If so what is the limit without residency, 3 or 6 months?

Any info will help. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: info about moving here
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 pm 

Hi, I understand the desire to be housebound rather than bedbound, and I don't want to be a wet blanket, but can I ask why the plan is to move to Lanzarote? You might say for the warmth, but being indoors this winter has been quite chilly if you are sitting still - I am sitting in a heated room typing this. Most people would go and sit outside during the main part of the day in winter to warm up, but not from 6 pm to about 8 am.

As far as you person position goes, I obviously know nothing of your condition, but, I would have thought that getting social and medical support from the state would be a lot more difficult here than the UK. If you leave the UK to live here, legally, you lose your entitlement to health care, and must sign off from the UK NHS and from your GP. To become resident here, you must demonstrate you have health care provision, either by being employed, or a dependant, or by showing adequate private health care cover. https://www.gov.uk is a good place to read up.

Your parents should know that unemployment is much, much worse here than in UK. They would probably only get the fairly physical jobs you mentioned, not managerial ones, and after the first few years would move into their mid 60s, where I am now, having to work hard without building up any more pension than they already have. https://www.gov.uk/government/world/spain is a good source of official guidance.

On the subject of tax, I am on firmer ground to advise, because our income is based on various types of pension, and UK rental income. UK government pensions (armed forces, police, fire, teaching, local government etc) can be taxed in Spain instead of UK, as can private pensions, from a company scheme, and UK rental income. It's your choice, but takes a little organising either way. The UK State Pension (Old Age Pension) MUST be taxed in Spain, NOT in the UK. The good news is, you can get personal allowances in boh countries (if you pay tax in both) The bad news is, if you want to be strictly legal, Spanish tax affairs are vastly more complicated that UK ones, and you really need a qualified Spanish accountant. Of course, many people just chance it, and pretend they live here less than 183 days in a calendar year. www.hmrc.gov.uk is a starting point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:35 pm 

Thank you for the reply.

It is for the warmth yes. I know its not going to be 20+ during winter but it being 13 degrees instead if 3 degrees would make a huge difference to me. Also as you said being able to go outside to lie down during the warmest part of the day (even if I need a woolly jumper to do so) makes a big difference. As for health care, you mentioned something about being a dependant. Can I ask what this means legally/ health wise speaking.
II
I don't use the NHS much. They gave me my diagnoses 7 years ago and have left me alone since so its not like its a chronic condition that needs constant help. I understand this is something I'll have to look at more though as I'm assuming it might be quite difficult/expensive to get private cover with an existing condition.

As for work, they don't mind doing the more physical jibs for a few years at least. It was more if they would be likely to be able to get the jobs? They can both return to the uk to do tutoring/agency jobs if they have to now and then or rent out our uk flat if needs be so we would have back up plans. But the aim would be to stay in lanza full time.

Thank you for clearing up the tax bit for me. I was starting to be under the impression their pensions would get double taxes!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:22 pm 

If a person is in employment, or self employed, and making social security payments, their dependants are covered for state health care. A wife, or husband, or school age children are dependants, but I'm not sure what your position would be vis a vis your parents employment. The websites I mentioned are worth reading on the subject, especially the Spain specific one.