Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Information on opening a bar!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:33 am 

Hi i was wondering if any business owners could help me out with a few queries i have about opening a bar. I have been searching the internet for answers but have come up with nothing.
Who are the local suppliers?
Whats the trade prices for Beers, Spirits etc?
Ive been looking online for local breweries but cannot seem to find any. Are there brewers on the island or is it imported?
Any information at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dearbhaile

Post subject: Re: Information on opening a bar!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 pm 

Hi Dearbhaile

Sorry I haven't been a member of this forum for very long and so am catching up on some old threads especially those without answers!! Hope that this information doesn't come too late or at least is of some use to some others!

There are no breweries brewing beer here on the island but there are Canarian breweries that supply beers to the island and of course there are other suppliers who will bring the beer to you. You are not tied in to leaseholds with specific breweries over here and are able to literally stock anything you want (as long as it is on the island - and even when it isn't!).
Most small bars will make a shop from the nearest or cheapest cash and carry to stock up their bars with the necessary bottles of spirits and bottled beers and so the prices depend on how much you buy from them and whether you get a delivery or not.
If you want any more information about this or some specific information about beer companies or different suppliers here then as we work with all of them we can pass over some contact details for you.

Are you already on the island or are you still considering a move over here?
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:07 pm 

Hey Phil

Thanks for the information it was very helpful. Im still trying to figure out if things run the same way over there as they do back here in ireland. Im still here at home, coming over in 3 weeks but strictly for pleasure lol. Thinking strongly about making the move in the next 2 years. I have been managing nightclubs here in Belfast for 4 years and im only 23 so im thinking that moving away and opening my own place would make better sense in the long run.
Phil would you mind if i pickled your brain a bit about some info i would like to find out??

Many thanks
Dearbhaile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:23 pm 

Read some of the posts in other threads and you will find out what the bar owners are saying at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:03 pm 

I can strongly recommend Phil he really does give his honest opinion! He is helping us at the moment with some consultancy with our restaurant to help give it the right image and essentially making sure that you all know we are here!
Nina x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 am 

Doesn't he own Wax bar? Or used to? We always had fun in there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am 

Yes Phil used to own the Wax Bar but now set up a company to share some of his expertise in setting up and running businesses here. We have just done our first level with him and our restaurant to redesign the menu, pricing and our marketing for the summer (we were getting too far behind).
He really does know his stuff and always gives an honest opinion on what works and what doesn't his new company is mainly focused on selling businesses here because there was no professional operation that covered it all (just estate agents passing keys over) - he is doing well at the moment and is doing a bit of consultancy for us as more of a favour than his real focus (although we're still paying you dear Phil - do I get a discount for this?).
It is still fun down at the Wax Bar and you can often still find Phil in there but now on the right side of the bar!
Nina x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 pm 

You've made me blush Nina with your nice words :oops:

Hi Tauruslady

Do I know you? Are you the one that drinks like a bull in a china shop? LOL! Yes as Nina has said I've gone on to other things now from WAX and have to be careful not to upset the admin but Nina has got it all right and you can see more about what I am up to on my website. I'm really busy but if you are heading over for a drink sometime then give me a PM before and I'm sure you can twist my arm in to meeting up down at WAX or my girlfriends new place Cafe Aroma (i might get in real trouble with admin now!).

Take Care!
Phil