Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Books | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Is it a good idea at the moment
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:16 am 

Sorry if I was a bit rude to anyone but wouldn't you be if your dreams had just been blown out the window :evil:[/quote]

Better your dreams blown out the window here and now than these and all your money over there.

That's the point of this forum - honest answers to questions :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 pm 

Hi Vam beech - I will leave the local knowledge to the locals but am troubled by your reasons for wanting to move.

"Wow, we'll we know it's going to be tough, we know the "grass isn't always greener", but to be honest the prospects here are pretty dull too, to be honest I have totally stopped caring about what happens to me in this country "

Ok the UK is pretty dull at the moment........but the prospects in Spain are pretty disastrous - do you actually read the papers? 25% unemployment rate, 15% drop in house prices in the last year. Thats for all of spain - in Lanza its worse. Far worse.

In the UK we are having austerity lite - wow benefits are 1% below inflation - in Spain, Portugal, Greece Ireland jobs and pensions have been slashed.

It may be dull but things are pretty good over here! You could spend £100s of 1000s for an illfated move only to move back with a fraction of the capital you saved.

Due diligence - in Spain this is shambolic - you can inherit the debts of previous owners.
Have you ever been on a working holiday and properly crunched the numbers? Look up the canary relocation website to have a look.

I do think you are just suffering from the winter blues - we all do....but to gamble your security because of a grey day outside....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:37 pm 

To the last poster, yes I know it's bad everywhere and especially in Spain, but all we need is maybe 7 or 8 hundred euros a week after expenses, not too much to ask is it????? :roll: bloody hell I can make 1k a week at home now in 5 days but the lifestyle stinks!!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:41 pm 

Only joking, **** it I'm off to Philippines k :D :D :lol: :D :D :D 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:01 pm 

vambeech wrote:
To the last poster, yes I know it's bad everywhere and especially in Spain, but all we need is maybe 7 or 8 hundred euros a week after expenses, not too much to ask is it????? :roll: bloody hell I can make 1k a week at home now in 5 days but the lifestyle stinks!!!! :cry:

If you can make a grand a week at home I'd advise you to stay. I don't know what kind of lifestyle you're looking for that you can't get with that kind of cash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm 

Let me tell u something, the one and only reason we want to live somewhere like lanzarote is simply for a LIFE.

Yes maybe I can earn a good living right now with what I do but believe me I don't have a life at all.

Let me explain.....

1 - I hardly see my wife or son.
2 - I work Wednesday to Sunday.
3 - I work Wednesday to Sunday on nights!!

This means my weekend is monday & Tuesday....

4 - my wife works Monday to Friday.
5 - my son goes to school Monday to Friday.
6 - they have to be as quiet as possible when my wife and child are getting ready for school because I've only been in bed an hour..

Do I really need any more reasons to want a change in life style????

If anyone has any reasonable suggestions then please let me know :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:43 pm 

You don't need to go to Lanzarote to change all that. I changed careers when I was 40 by working hard to make it happen. I had a job that meant I had to work a lot of overtime to make a decent wage and had a young son. Now I have a 9 to 5 job with a decent wage. Nothing like a grand a week though but I'm happy and have a decent lifestyle and manage to holiday 2 or 3 times a year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 pm 

Just giving my 2Cents worth:

Tis better to be poor and miserable at home, than to be poor and miserable abroad.

You have some safety nets at home - you speak the language; you know the system, work and social welfare benefits; you will get the benefit of social security at home, you may not abroad; you have friends and family at home if in trouble, you don't have these abroad - friends can be very scarce if you are in financial trouble abroad.

As others have said, however bad things are in UK, Spain, Greece and Ireland are much worse. Ireland might not be as bad as Greece, but there is nothing at all happening - shops/pubs are closing; unemployment is rising and worse of all, nobody has money!

I dream of winning lotto and heading to Lanza, but unfortunately and I really mean unfortunately, that's the only way I'll get there.

Try to keep sunny side out. Perhaps try to change your job/work; maybe move to a different work zone or even move house/home.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:44 pm 

Yes, life is tough on Lanza at the moment. It will probably get worse, this is from someone who lives in the philippines, but visits regularly.

You honestly will need something VERY special to make things work at the moment. Give it a few years, as in the UK austerity measures, then when things start to pick up, or you get lanzalocal to talk tough :wink: , then it is time to make the move.

I have the money to move to Lanza but I won't because I can see losses for the next 3-4 years.

I would honestly stick with the s€#t you have in the UK at the moment, learn the language whilst waiting, make sure your kids do the same (should i mention kids :twisted: ), then by all means go fo it.

It can work, but only when the economic criteria allow it to happen.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:35 am 

I think thats very good advice about coming over and checking the place out, seeing if they are as busy as they say. Even if they are and its well established etc, things might not be great once you take over. I once took over a well established business ( uk ) after the owner had run it for 30 years. Profits etc, were great. I had seen the place working and had even had the chance to work with him for a week or so prior to the hand over. BUT, without even trying myself, a lot of his established clients never returned the day he retired, and I had a lot of work ahead to prove myself to the rest of the customers as well as get new ones.
We have been coming to Lanza for about 8 years, and like you, would love to own a business there, but in the time we have been going we have lost so many of our favourite bars / restaurants we used to visit, down to the fact they are struggling.
It will be a huge gamble to take, and frankly, if it wasnt for my wifes health, we would probably consider a gamble ourselves. In saying that I also agree with all the advice you have got already on here. You just have to go into any bar etc etc in lanza, sit and have a beer and watch how damn hard they have to work, and for a lot they are doing all that just to cling on. Difficult choice that only you can make in the end but I fear in the current climate that the timetabe you showed of your life in the uK might look like luxury compared to what you might have to do in Lanzarote.
Sorry if the post sounds negative, but keep the dream, maybe hold off just a little longer to do a bit more homework. Take an extended holiday and make sure everyone, including your child is happy being away from uk for longer etc.
What ever you decide, good luck 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 pm 

Hey my friend, I have been in business for over 50 years and have gone through quite a lot of recessions. To be successful you listen to good advise, that's what you have been given. Now is not the time to start a new business in your own country, let alone a foreign one and especially not in the eurozone, just look at mainland Spain, what a mess they are in. Lanzarote is a wonderful island, my wife and I love it and have been going there for years, infact we have just come back. But look around, take the shades off,
see the empty shops and shells of houses, see a generation of youngsters with no hope. You are a business man let your head rule and not your heart.
Have a good Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:30 pm 

Is lanzarote any better these days?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:47 pm 

It's a big world out there - cast your net wider than the Canaries.

Liking someplace is not enough of a reason to up sticks and move there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:10 pm 

I would cast my net out farer but I can't, I need to be within a few hours flight of the uk as my child will be staying in the uk with my ex. I have been offered a job as a scuba instructor and am really tempted to go????