Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is it a good idea at the moment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:18 pm 

Hi all, this is my first post and hopefully I will get some positive feed back :roll:

I know things are hard in the present climate but we are hell bent on trying to make a go of a new start in Playa Blanca, myself, my wife and our 5 year old son.

We have seen a business for sale with good takings and has the potential to expand, my wife is a nail technician, also eyelashes and everything else that goes with it, we want to put 2 hairdressing stations in the salon too but would either employ a stylist or rent the chairs out to them, so basically it will be a Beauty salon with a twist, can't say what the twist is though, sorry, :?

What do people on here think :roll:

Post subject: Re: Is it a good idea at the moment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:10 pm 

Hi vambeech
Before I pass comment people frequently say I can be bit negative but I simply point out the reality of the situation as I see it from living and working here.
First a few points as regards the situation here......any one who has a viable business here is struggling and trying to keep hold of it rather than join the 30% plus unemployed....

1st question to ask is why do they want to sell???? if its good keep going ....if its bad get out while you can !!By selling to a non-local who doesn´t know the score!!

2nd question given the high rate of unemployment then luxuries (hair-dos/nails /lashes etc). are the first to suffer from cutbacks as money needs to be spent elsewhere

3rd question do you have enough financial resources to apply for residencia and have proof of health insurance AND to pay the rent on both your accommodation and shop premises while you build a customer base(not forgetting you will have to pay 278€ plus every month for social security whether in profit or not plus taxes on top of that)plus electric and water at a higher rate for commercial premises

4th question if none of the above cause to to rethink have you got the energy to work up to a 14 hour day at least 6 days a week until your business is turning a profit......given that most hotels in PB already have a salon within and as it is AI do not encourage tourists to ´´shop around´´ which means a lot of your potential customer base could be local Spanish.....do you speak enough to understand and hold a basic conversation ??

Whilst I applaud and welcome every new business here and wish them luck... in the last year the number of ´´lifestyle´´changers who have come here that I have met who have failed and return worse off to home numbers 30 plus people.

If you can cope with all that and still plug away then good for you......just don´t be one of the group who never last a year.

Sorry but one final point.....if you are asking on here then you are unsure and not totally 100% commited so I would say you may well be better off staying where you are as it takes a belief in yourself above all else to be a ´´stranger in a strange land´´.
Good luck and best wishes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 pm 

To paraphrase, and agree with, Lanzalocal, you'd have to be incredibly lucky, and have something incredibly special. This is a land of sunshine, not milk and honey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:19 pm 

lanzalocal wrote:
Hi vambeech
Before I pass comment people frequently say I can be bit negative but I simply point out the reality of the situation as I see it from living and working here.
First a few points as regards the situation here......any one who has a viable business here is struggling and trying to keep hold of it rather than join the 30% plus unemployed....

1st question to ask is why do they want to sell???? if its good keep going ....if its bad get out while you can !!By selling to a non-local who doesn´t know the score!!

2nd question given the high rate of unemployment then luxuries (hair-dos/nails /lashes etc). are the first to suffer from cutbacks as money needs to be spent elsewhere

3rd question do you have enough financial resources to apply for residencia and have proof of health insurance AND to pay the rent on both your accommodation and shop premises while you build a customer base(not forgetting you will have to pay 278€ plus every month for social security whether in profit or not plus taxes on top of that)plus electric and water at a higher rate for commercial premises

4th question if none of the above cause to to rethink have you got the energy to work up to a 14 hour day at least 6 days a week until your business is turning a profit......given that most hotels in PB already have a salon within and as it is AI do not encourage tourists to ´´shop around´´ which means a lot of your potential customer base could be local Spanish.....do you speak enough to understand and hold a basic conversation ??

Whilst I applaud and welcome every new business here and wish them luck... in the last year the number of ´´lifestyle´´changers who have come here that I have met who have failed and return worse off to home numbers 30 plus people.

If you can cope with all that and still plug away then good for you......just don´t be one of the group who never last a year.

Sorry but one final point.....if you are asking on here then you are unsure and not totally 100% commited so I would say you may well be better off staying where you are as it takes a belief in yourself above all else to be a ´´stranger in a strange land´´.
Good luck and best wishes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 pm 

Wow, we'll we know it's going to be tough, we know the "grass isn't always greener", but to be honest the prospects here are pretty dull too, to be honest I have totally stopped caring about what happens to me in this country :?

Surely there must still be a lot of tourists walking about during the day time taking in what the town has to offer, surely they are not all just laid on there sunbeds sipping there AI cocktails??

A lot of our trade will be from walkins from passers by, and this should keep us going with our 'twist' , but in the long run we can hopefully get established as a local beauty salon, with the prices being a dam sight lot less than the hotels..

Every woman I know still has there hair cut, false lashes, and eyebrows done no matter how skint they are, it's a woman thing, and the cheaper the better :D

Also we do have belief in ourselves we just wanted an opinion from someone that knows, we do have enough money to last a year or so, and if it goes, it goes, we don't want to get to 50 years old and still be thinking, "what if".....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:15 pm 

Hi again vambeech
Sorry but you have just made the two most obvious and totally incorrect assumptions there that cause most businesses to fail within a few weeks........

1st....mostly they are just staying in their complexes....why go out if it´s all paid for where you are....some do go for a walk..BUT thats it..just wander around they do not actually spend or if they do it is very little(maybe a half of beer or buy a souvenir...never more)Thomas Cook´s own research figures show that when staying AI tourists rarely venture farther than 500 metres from their hotel in the first week extending up to 1250 metres if they are there for 2 weeks :shock:

2nd....walk-ins.......sorry don´t make me laugh :lol: ...unless you drag them in it DOESN´T HAPPEN.(why do you think so many fish foot places are up for sale and bars and restaurants??)and why places employ touts or PR´s as they are known here...anyone says different is telling you a big porkie :oops:

Added to which most locals here that I know would MAYBE get their hair cut/lashes/nails done once a year(maybe twice if they had a special night).....my wife and her friends cannot remember the last time they had a hair cut.(I am being deadly serious here this is not for effect)...they are either working all the hours God sends or simply do not have the money for such´´fripperies´´here.

This is not the UK.....you work twice as hard for about two-thirds the pay......average wage here is 5€ per hour....not a lot when you have rent to pay food to buy....and other bills(average monthly wage between 800€ to 1000€)

With those assumptions I would give you about 3 months before you fold(by the way I am usually very accurate with the amount of time I guess places will stay open...after all I have had lots of practice over the last few years :( )

I agree with the fifty and what if thing...but as you have a child I assume that you will want to see him/her sometime rather than pay the costs of almost permanent childcare whilst you both work....I can see you think I am being too down on you.....please this is a reality check...be very careful.

Otherwise best of British,,,,,with assumptions like those you WILL need it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:48 pm 

Well thanks for your help but it sounds to me like your trying to put people off coming here, I have just read a lot of your other posts / replies and to be honest it sounds like your a bitter, bored expat who envies people a lot :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:28 pm 

Vambeech,

Hang on a sec here; you asked for advice and got it, well argued and explained. Don't shoot the messenger!

I'm presuming that the business is already operating as a hairdresser or beauty salon? Come out for a week or two and spend three or four days just sitting outside in a near-by cafe, counting the number of customers going in. You're talking about adding 'a twist'. Presumably that would be aimed at the ongoing clientelle or similar so the number of clients currently is very relevant. Unless of course you're going to be adding a DIY store round the back...

See how the salon is really doing rather than what the current owners are saying it's doing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:40 pm 

The only reason Ethans-mum and I haven't 'given it a go' is because of our children. Childcare costs and not to mention not actually seeing them as you're having to work all the hours possible.
In the current state of things I totally agree with Lanzalocal.
Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:19 pm 

Vambeech you say "Wow, we'll we know it's going to be tough, we know the "grass isn't always greener", but to be honest the prospects here are pretty dull too, to be honest I have totally stopped caring about what happens to me in this country". Forgive me but that sounds like emigrating to Lanzarote for negative reasons, and that's a bad start. If you're not making a go of it in a country where you speak the language fluently, understand the market, and understand the nuances of the regulations and pitfalls, it's going to be much harder where none of those apply.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:46 am 

Hi vambeech
Neither bitter or bored and as regards envy....hey I live/work here and have nothing to prove. Your proposed business is no threat to me.What has anyone got that i could possibly envy ? :| ......don´t have the time to be either as both my wife and I need to work to fund our life here....if thats what you think please come over here......let me show you just how bloody hard it is here to make a living with a child in tow.......think your eyes would really be opened.....have lived and worked here for over 6 years(with a child) and know the lay of the land......I think if I say that most of the posters who agreed with me know how it is.

However you seem to think you know better........why ask for advice then ?.....just do it!,,,,,,,,,sadly for you I will still be here when you are just a memory. :? .......to all the people who ripped you off !!!.......end of.!

Many thanks to John B,,Ethans Dad and Dr.Robert for trying to assist me in pointing out the pitfalls of wearing ´´rose-tinted glasses´´when attempting a new challenge in a foreign country.......just remember vambeech......here YOU are the foreigner :roll:

By the way I try only to give honest advice here......you may say it is negative.....but it is advice...take it or leave it......whichever you do.....good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 am 

Getting to 50 and thinking what if! Why not work at getting to 50 in the position that you can retire to Lanzarote and your child has had an education. The school in Playa Blanca is very over crowded and your child would be expected to speak Spanish very quickly. When the kids here are 12+ they have to go to another school not far from the airport. That means getting up a 6.30 ish in the morning to be ready for the bus.
Oh and 50 is not that old!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 am 

lanzalocal wrote:
Hi vambeech
Neither bitter or bored and as regards envy....hey I live/work here and have nothing to prove. Your proposed business is no threat to me.What has anyone got that i could possibly envy ? :| ......don´t have the time to be either as both my wife and I need to work to fund our life here....if thats what you think please come over here......let me show you just how bloody hard it is here to make a living with a child in tow.......think your eyes would really be opened.....have lived and worked here for over 6 years(with a child) and know the lay of the land......I think if I say that most of the posters who agreed with me know how it is.

However you seem to think you know better........why ask for advice then ?.....just do it!,,,,,,,,,sadly for you I will still be here when you are just a memory. :? .......to all the people who ripped you off !!!.......end of.!

Many thanks to John B,,Ethans Dad and Dr.Robert for trying to assist me in pointing out the pitfalls of wearing ´´rose-tinted glasses´´when attempting a new challenge in a foreign country.......just remember vambeech......here YOU are the foreigner :roll:

By the way I try only to give honest advice here......you may say it is negative.....but it is advice...take it or leave it......whichever you do.....good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:58 am 

Why ask for advice and then chuck your toys out of the pram and get personally abusive when you get honest well-meaning advice? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

OK, here's the answer you wanted:-

Yes, by all means go for it. The current owners are selling because there is just too much custom for them to cope with. People will flock to your doors, knocking others out of the way just so they can avail themselves of your services. You won't need to speak Spanish, you can always make yourself understood by speaking more loudly. Money will be no problem, especially with the "twist" of providing sunbeds. What a brilliant idea - why tan on a lovely beach by the sea in the breeze when you can pay to lay in a sweaty box? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 am 

Lol, ye I think your all right, maybe it is a bit of a shock to hear all these negative thoughts, of cause I'm going to be a little defensive when this is all we have ever wanted for the last 12 years, only now have we had the money and courage to start doing something about it but now it looks like its on the back burner again if I listen to all the negativity :(

Well we will see what happens next year after we have been a few times and figured it all out a bit more.

Sorry if I was a bit rude to anyone but wouldn't you be if your dreams had just been blown out the window :evil: