Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Just returned from Lanzarote....would not rcommend it to
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:25 am 

I can sympathise with rather a lot that the OP has written.

However one of the main reasons why we come to Lanz a lot is because there are less of them than on Tenerife or Gran Canaria.

There is no doubt the standards of international traveller has dropped since the early 1970s. Mind, in those days, most flew wearing a suit !

We don't eat junk food and steer well clear of 'Tommys bar from Blackpool'.

We do try to avoid quite a lot of the British public. But the worst tourists we have ever been subjected to were the Scandinavians. They descended on Tenerife in winter and seemed to want to drink the place dry of alcohol 24/7.

Manners and consideration cost nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:12 am 

I sympathise and actually agree with the OP...............
BUT - why didn't he get the hell out of dodge and go somewhere nice like the dutch do in other holiday resorts?!
I've just come back from Ibiza - and no way I would stay in San Antonio with all the scuzzy brits. Ditto Lanza - if PDC/CT was so bad why didn't he move elsewhere - there are plenty of other gorgeous places to go.
THe spanish have done it quite well actually - kept all the brit bars in one place so if you want that fine if not you can escape to the south or north of the island - unlike the South east coast of spain which is just one long development!

I don't think its anything new or revelatory - but reflects poorly on the OP - you don't go to Benidorm and then whinge about the brit bars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 am 

Like many others on here I agree with the OP opinion on what is seen as the typical brit abroad, and only last time we were there, I was in an indian shop looking to take home some artemi vodka caramelo (you should try it !) when a family walked in with 3 empty suitcases that they proceeded to fill with cigs and tobacco !! A real proud to be british moment.

But I have to say that this is not a reflection on PDC/Lanza as with anywhere really you get good and bad people and to say PDC is full of them is unfair, we have been going for years and not seen half the sites that I have seen in other med resorts.

It is a more a reflection on the uk and how it now allows society to live, as the riots proved last week, there are some real idiots out there who are producing and producing kids that grow up without any respect, appreciation of others, so if you think holiday resorts are bad now, try going in 5/10 years time

Happy Holidays
Danny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:26 pm 

My wife and I will be making our fourth trip to Lanzarote later this year. We always go to Playa Blanca because we like it and find it not too fast-paced and full of clubs. We have heard that the clubs are more prevalent in CT and PDC. To each their own however. I am an American who has been living in England for more than 12-years now and my wife is originally from Northern Ireland, but has been living in England since 1988. We both agree that among some English people that there does seem to be an air of superiority that seems to say: “The world belongs to us and everyone who is not English is inferior to us”. I am saying that some, not all, nor do the majority of English people seem to demonstrate this type of attitude wherever they go. “Lager louts” are offensive wherever they are. It seems to be a cultural thing, especially among many of the younger English people to drink, drink, and drink at every possible opportunity. Many seem to take holidays to places that can cater to this on a much larger scale than where they live in England. Often when people who are normally loud and obnoxious drink to excess they will tend to become even more loud and obnoxious. On my very first trip to London I was shocked to see people carrying open beer cans onto trains. You are not allowed to bring any open food or drink onto public transportation in the USA and certainly not unpackaged alcohol, open or not. This might also explain some of the violence that occasionally takes place at English football matches. They complain about what they term as being: “anti-social behavior”, but they really do not seem to use common sense when it comes to alcohol. I have read that some English people complain about there being more Spanish and Germans in Playa Blanca than English. Great, all the better for us!! Let the people who want to have a booze-soaked holiday go to Ibiza or some other similar place that caters to rowdy night life. Lanzarote is too nice a place to be spoiled by people who want to destroy themselves while others are forced to be a captive audience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:32 pm 

Just returned from lanzarote ... would not recommend it to anybody....... but am happy to search out and join a lanzarote forum spend ages bangin' on about it - and even forgot I'd been there once before.

Yawn - goodnight zeberdee!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:00 am 

well i spose the guy was angry enough to find this place and share his experience, which is fair enough, aint that what forums are for?

you can find these places in most countries that offer dirt cheap packages and always will, but we are all blessed with the power of decision and do not have to linger in them and ruin our time away.

you were obviously looking for a cheap break yourself and now realise why it was...

it only takes a second to choose whether we want to stay or move on i guess and after your experience perhaps you should of.

as someone has said here, it only takes a short trip to find the true lanzarote and peace and tranquility, perhaps you should return and explore the island a bit more and give it a fair chance!

a holiday is what you make of it after all.

nice rant though :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:01 am 

Nice one ole.

Stop nicking our best players for eff all please!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 am 

I've found that many rants (or "constructive criticisms" if you like) are often loosely directed at the world in general:

"The summers were better when I was younger",

"everything was cheaper & better value for money",

"you could walk the streets safely at night",

"people had respect for themselves and each other",

etc.

You can then pick out whatever has got your goat this week and apply the general to the particular.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm 

FAO Foodie...
eff all ?? Phil Jones was £16m wasn't he ? That's hardly chicken feed ! (no pun intended)

He is rather splendid in the tackle though - btw girls that's a football reference so calm down :shock:

Ole (sorry to interrupt)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:45 am 

Trotter wrote:
Hello everybody,

I know lots of people love Lanzarote, but after visiting for the first time, I would not recommend the place to anyone I know.
I am not British, and hold nothing against the British, but when abroad, nothing turns me off more than seeing pale, fat men and women hanging at dingy bars, screaming at their fat brats, and the brats screaming back at them.
I hope I don´t offend anybody , but the typical british tourist in places like this, are utterly obnoxious, rude, cheap, terrible mannered and will for sure destroy a place like Lanzarote, which I actually thought would be a bit classier than many places i`ve been to, Turkey, Greece,Spain mainland, Bulgaria, Croatia etc.
Places that I think can be compared to Lanzarote, except in these places you will see less brits, and more Dutch, German, Scandinavian, which I see as much better mannered people and much more civilised when going abroad.
I know some of you will get angry and tell me to f...off, but I´m also sure many of you know what I mean.
I think it´s sad that a beautiful island with such potentiel is ruined by cheap, rude, beer chuggling brits, that mights as well have stayed ome at the local pub.
Why do many brits go on these vacations, just to look for the cheapest, tackiest bar they can find, get wasted daily, scream at their kids, and complain about the Spanish speaking..ehh spanish? I don´t get it?
I saw a young British women at a supermarket screaming at the person at the cash register, because she didn´t speak english. It pissed me som much off that I nearly smacked her and was getting into a fight with her fat , hooligan looking loser husband.
Before anybody gets too angry, I must say that I ave many british friends living all over the world, but it seems to me that the typical british tourist in sunny places in Europe, is a different type? I don´t know, but I will say that Lanzarote is futureless unless the PRs are banned, the Brits change their attitude, the place gets renovated, prices UP ( I know many go for the cheap beer, but exactly that will attract what I see as loser, sorry).

I´ve travelled all over the world, and have never experienced a place with so many cheap dingy places, except for Malia on Crete, British, which is okay, but on Lanzarote it was the beer chuggling , fat screaming type most places we went, PDC, Teguise. The restaurants and bars are terrible most places, dirty, cheap and fish and chips?
Why the hell do Brits want this type of junkfood on a vacation, I just don´t get it???
I think it´s such a shame, and this type of tourism, competing on prices of cheap crap beer and junkfood will be the end of Lanzarote. A shame because the island could have been a fantastic place.
I have no idea why I didn´t investigate the place before we went, I usually do, to stay clear of Brits( Sorry again, no offence, it´s this specific type I don´t like), and I was expecting a lot more Scandinavians, Germans etc, which usually means better food, but also higher prices that automatically keep this specific type of tourist I don´t like, away.
I really think the local goverment need to claean up the place real fast, or else it will be too late.
Once you start competing on prices, the quality lowers, and so does the type of tourist.
Is this really what they think will make a future of Lanzarote? No way.
I went 12 years ago, and loved the place, it was a hell of a lot classier then.
I hate to sound like a snob, but figured I would check forums to see what others say has happended to the place, and now that I´m here, I might as well post my experience.
Have a nice one all.
By the way, I´m Dutch myself, so it´s ok to lay it on me:)

All we can say is that we we go in November this will be our third visit and plan to come back every year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 am 

AllI can say is that I've been to PDC many times and I dont think I've ever come across this type of anti social holidaymaker. If I did I would just move on and take a mental to avoid that establishment in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am 

frankmac2 wrote:
AllI can say is that I've been to PDC many times and I dont think I've ever come across this type of anti social holidaymaker. If I did I would just move on and take a mental to avoid that establishment in the future.

Agreed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:54 am 

Agree with last posts - have been coming to Lanzarote (pdc) since '94,have just returned from our 17th visit there and will be booking for next year! Have never seen people like this,but know they exsist!! Love Lanza!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:29 pm 

I think we've all agreed that the OP didn't think through what grabbing a bargain basement holiday meant in practice, which is strange considering he portrays himself as an experienced sophisticated holiday maker. He probably goes to MacDonalds for a burger, then complains to a food website about how he was let down that it wasn't filet mignon at that price (oh and probably whinged about the clientele.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm 

Walker wrote:
I think we've all agreed that the OP didn't think through what grabbing a bargain basement holiday meant in practice, which is strange considering he portrays himself as an experienced sophisticated holiday maker. He probably goes to MacDonalds for a burger, then complains to a food website about how he was let down that it wasn't filet mignon at that price (oh and probably whinged about the clientele.)

Again got to agree with you.

Bad and good where ever you go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next