Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Local beers and spirits
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 pm 

Due back in Playa in September and due to stopping in a Villa, two years ago for the daytime i stocked up on some beers and vodka etc, this time i'm on a bit tighter budget so don't really want to buy Carling and Smirnoff. Can anybody recomend which local lagers and vodka to buy and what sort of prices they are at the supermarkets compared to Carling and Smirnoff?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Local beers and spirits
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:10 pm 

I don't know about the vodka but any of the local beers (tropical, dorada) are way better than Carling, and a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 pm 

I always buy Supersol 4.8% Cerveza from Hiperdino. It's normally 34 cents per 33 cc can and often as little as 16 cents. Yesterday it was 24 cents and most people I've asked think it tastes better than Dorada, San Mig etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:34 pm 

Supersol Lager? :oops:
Crikey that stuff is rotten. No way is it better than Tropical or Dorada.
You trying to poison the poor fella?
Can't go wrong with tropical but Hiperdino often has San Miguel on offer & that is even nicer.
As for Vodka we buy Yurinka from Hiperdino. Only 4.60 a litre bottle but tastes the same as Smirnoff. Lovely with a bit of Mango juice & lots of ice.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 am 

Interesting comment familyjones. The ingredients for the Supersol lager are listed on the tin, and I can't spot a poison there; it seems to be the same stuff as San Mig, Dorada etc. Now cheap vodka is another thing. Have you any idea what your cheap stuff is made of or where it's made? Is yours the real stuff?

http://www.minivodkaguy.com/Vodka23.html

According to Wikipedia:

"Vodka may be distilled from any starch/sugar-rich plant matter; most vodka today is produced from grains such as sorghum, corn, rye or wheat. Among grain vodkas, rye and wheat vodkas are generally considered superior. Some vodka is made from potatoes, molasses, soybeans, grapes, rice, sugar beets and sometimes even byproducts of oil refining or wood pulp processing. In some Central European countries like Poland some vodka is produced by just fermenting a solution of crystal sugar and yeast"

So you could be drinking the byproduct of a paper mill or oil refinery.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:31 am 

Well i'm going to trust that Hipperdino , which is a huge Spanish Chain of supermarkets, is not selling the crap you have described!
Really good vodka will set you back upwards of 50 quid in the UK or Spain but if your just using it to mix with juice / cola then there is no point in buying that.
Smirnoff which is a "popular" brand is actually really cheap vodka . You are just paying for a brand name. The Hipperdino stuff tastes the same. Actually, we have a bottle of Grey Goose vodka here, which cost £85 & if you mix that with juice it tastes the same .
As for the beer from that shop, it leaves a nasty after taste in the mouth. Revolting.
It tastes ok for the 1st few mouthfuls but then, ergh. Nasty.
The contents of most largers will be the same hun but it's the brewing methods that differ & the quality of the products used.
I'm not knocking you for liking it. We all have different tastes & opinions & in my opinion it is horrible stuff but good for making beer batter.
I'm all for bargains. No point in spending extra cash when you don't need to but sometimes your wasting your money when you buy really cheap things.
Better spend a few cents more & get nicer larger.
In my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:11 pm 

Well, I guess we have to agree to differ, so let's end it here. I used to drink Dorada etc, but I (and most people I know here) prefer the Supersol lager. I suppose if you are prepared to spend £85 on a drink which is intended to be tasteless, then spending top dollar on beer isn't an issue. It's a bit removed from the OP's intent though!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 pm 

:lol:
Best not waste your cash on pricey Vodka best buy the cheapo stuff from Hiperdino & try a selection of largers & see what floats your boat :)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:08 pm 

Nothing wrong with the Supersol beer except when they put it back up to 34 cents. Its great stuff. If you drink enough of anything you cant taste it after a certain amount....isn't that the idea? 19 cents you cant go wrong.
Remember this, the people that drink the trolley loads that leave the Hiperdino are back to fill up again the next month all still alive and probably had a good time with their limited funds!!! Get in there and get your trolley load and enjoy yourself.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 am 

No offence intended.......but if you are used to drinking carling then the supermarket own brands have no taste either so you will be fine....!!!!

Its all so cheap in the first place people! THink we are splitting hairs!

I bought a selection of Mahou (sp?) Tropical, Dorado and cruzcampo and my favourite was Mahou by a mile.

THough the finest spanish beer is Estrella by a mile but can't always find it.

And with the branded ones coming in at about 60-70 cents for a can why worry?

Vodka - if you are mixing it why do you worry what it tastes like.

Oh and grey goose does not cost £85!!! Unless you are buying a bottle in a bar in which case you have more cash than sense so why are you even bothering posting on here about cheap beer....!?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:54 am 

I drink 80 schilling beer back home in Scotland, but as you can't get it anywhere else, I'll drink a little lager, and I reckon Supersol is as good as the rest you find in Lanza. The worst I have come across is Estrella (gives me the dry boak), and ironically it is very popular in my favourite bars of the old town in PDC. STOP SELLING THAT CRAP, lol. My voddie of choice in PDC is always Eristoff. It is overpriced back in UK but a great buy at 8 euro a litre in Lanza. hic

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:00 am 

Estrella - The worst?!! Your having a laugh Zengs!! Its widely acknowledged by types such as CAMRA the real ale boys as being a top notch lager!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:12 am 

Foodie, I just don't like the Estrella taste. CAMRA?? Me think you are having a laugh, they need to refocus their lens back to ale if they are commenting on the merits of lager, especially that muck. lol

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 am 

Fair enough you don't like it - but unlike carling and the super sols it actually does have a taste!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:18 am 

Estrella on draught is lovely. The sell it in the pool bar in Las Brisas and if you're taking it to the pool they have to give you a plastic tumbler. But, the plastic tumbler holds more than the glass tummlers they us if you're drinking it in the bar, but it's the same price. :)