Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Long Term Rental Contracts.......
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

Although well aware of the need for a good solicitor during property PURCHASE, is there a similar need for checking a long term RENTAL contract ?? I was thinking, perhaps, of avoiding a situation where we are in a rental for a year but find the property being SOLD during that time and what, therefore, may happen to us ?
Any advice or experience would be welcome.
Thanks
CB

Post subject: Re: Long Term Rental Contracts.......
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:23 pm 

Hi Claud
as this has happened to me I can relate what transpired in my case.........it depends on the clause relating to length of notice required to terminate your lease(in my case one month)...this usually applies to both landlord and tenant so a landlord who sold his property would only be required to give you one month´s notice.......not a lot I know but as long as your contract is a temporada rather than a vivienda thats all you are entitled to.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm 

That is a superb point,
One i never even gave a second thought to, is it something that happens often?
Having never rented a house before its all new to us. We relocate this April 12th, and whilst we have use of an apartment until we can find the right house, any advice as to how to cover ourselves would be greatly appreciated, prior to signing anything i'd assume that you could take the paperwork to be checked over? or am i wrong? whilst my conversational Spanish is slowly getting there theres no way i would understand a legal document.
Ray.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:39 am 

Hi
Taking the paperwork to be checked out is probably a waste of time and money as regards rental contracts.......most use the standard form available from the Government of Spain´s website(this form is in Spanish...some agents will provide an English translation..most will not)....with a few minor variations, so to pay for a lawyer to check what is in effect a Govt. form would be pointless.
As to does it happen often ?........depends on where/what price/how desirable your rental property is.....at the moment hardly anything is selling as prices have fallen in certain areas here by up to
30-50%(nearly double the mainland drop in price)....so most landlords cannot afford to sell(as they owe more than the property is worth).........in the worse case scenario if your accommodation is repossessed by the Bank they will usually continue to allow you to reside there rather than have yet another unoccupied property on their hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 am 

Thanks again LL.
We've just decided we will just check the most obvious and run with it. It's taken us long enough to get to this stage we've just got to bite the bullet or we will never do it.
Cheers
CB