Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LOOKING FOR WORK AND ACCOMODATION
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:25 pm 

I am 37 years old and looking to move to lanzarote. I have a 12 year old boy so would need to be close to english speaking school.
Work wise I have 18 years experience in sales, both telesales and also customer service also computor literate i also have bar work experience so looking to work in either of those industries.
Is there anyone who could meet these requirements or know of where I would start to look please. I have holidayed to lanzaote and completeley fell inlove with the people and island itself....I need to be there! :D

Post subject: Re: LOOKING FOR WORK AND ACCOMODATION
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:15 pm 

Hello Kelly

I think if there are any English speaking schools they will be private i.e. you will need to pay school fees. The other schools on Lanzarote will have Spanish as the first language and your son will be taught in Spanish along with the other children. He will need to learn to speak Spanish or he will not be educated.
With regard to jobs, if you can find a sales job (massive unemployment in Lanzarote) it will be poorly paid and commission only. You will be very lucky to find a full time job in customer services. Very few bar jobs.

Also you should get advice on health care, unlike us dozy Brits, you may find free healthcare hard to find.
My advice, stay in the UK - plenty of jobs, free health care, education etc and you and your son will be happy.

Post subject: Re: LOOKING FOR WORK AND ACCOMODATION
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:44 pm 

Hi
First the bad news.....English speaking schools are private schools expect to pay around 1000€ plus per term and additional cost of uniform (usually required) plus cost of all books and materials for use in school
Most private schools are situated out of town/edge of town so getting accommodation close to a private school is difficult
Unemployment here is 35% at the moment,, in the fields you mention unless you are fluent in Spanish forget it....there are low paid bar jobs(around 5€-6€ per hour) or as mentioned sales jobs that are commission only...problem is if commission only you would have to be self-employed (´´autonomo´´) and your average social security contribution will be around 260€ per month whether you earn that or not :(
There is no benefit net for you to fall back on.....no work =no food or rent money=hungry +homeless
A 12 y.o will really struggle to fit in if you do not use a private school...all other schools teach ONLY in Spanish and he would be expected to learn it quickly or get left behind....there are no allowances made in state schools for non-Spanish speakers
State health care is not possible without a work contract unless you have been here a year then you can pay into the system at around 50€ per person per month.....otherwise it´s a private doctor costing between 50€ and 120€ each visit :shock:
To live here you would need a ´´residencia´´ after 90 days....not expensive to obtain but you would have to prove savings of at least 3500€ per person in the bank and have either a contract of employment or a private medical insurance policy covering you both
Yes it all looks great on holiday but the reality is you would need to work around 50 to 60 hours per week (at an average of 5€ to 6€ per hour) in order to pay for long term accommodation (2 bed apartment around 450€ to 550€ per month plus water and electric bills of around 60€ to 120€ per month)
My advice is unless you have a considerable nest egg of money to enable you to look for work and pay to live here for at least 6 months then forget it (it can take that long to find employment...if you are lucky :? )......it always looks great from the holiday angle but the reality is much harsher and difficult :wink:
The good news is IF you can surmount all these obstacles then it is worth the struggle.....BUT you will struggle :cry:
OOps neartly forgot one further thing ...only a trivial one but for most people quite a big one.....being computer literate is great even better if you read and type Spanish BUT the keyboard is a very different layout to a UK keyboard....just a small but very relevant point :oops: :twisted: :twisted:
Buena Suerte :D