Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mobile Phone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:40 am 

Hi,

When we move over we wondered if it was worth getting a Spanish SIM each to contact each other or just keep our UK numbers and SIM cards

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Mobile Phone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:43 pm 

Hi
First you need to answer the main question.....do you intend to stay ??? :?: If so why would you pay international rates, and a possible roaming charge as well, for something so simple as phoning a taxi ??.......a Spanish mobile and SIM will work out much cheaper than using an English mobile...and on some networks like to like calls here are free at certain times or incur a reduced rate :o ....also you need to be aware that some systems work better in certain areas here than others so that enters into the equation as well...eg Movistar is rubbish at one end of PB but great at the other :x ....Orange is problematic in certain areas of PDC :oops: ....Vodafone is not great in certain areas of the ´´campo´´(countryside) :? ...not too sure about the north of the island perhaps others can answer (not fond of CT and its surrounding areas so can´t really comment).So many hills and mountains mean the signals vary greatly :wink:
Using a Brit mobile also means where and how are you going to pay for top-ups or bills as Spanish banks will charge a substantial fee :shock: to process fund transfers in pounds rather than euros and top-ups are difficult to get here(to be honest nigh on impossible :roll: ) if on PAYG systems :(
I junked my UK phones within a week of moving here ...10 yrs ago...and have always since used either Yoigo/Movistar or Vodafone depending on my location.....but then again I rarely use the phone at all so what do I know :lol: