Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: montana roja
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 am 

Hi all newbie here

coming to lanzarote for the first time in july and was wondering how far is montana roja area from pb also is it easy enough to get around the resort from here with out car hire

thanks

Post subject: Re: montana roja
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm 

Well at a stroll, it would take 40 minutes from the further part of Montaña Roja to the centre of PB. The resort is about 5 miles long, but only about half a mile wide back from the beach. Google Earth, including Street View will give you a good idea. You'll also find a map down the left hand side of this page. In a car it's about 5 minutes. Parking is free except in the carpark under the main Hiperdino supermarket, and that's free for an hour when you shop there. The streets are fairly narrow, but if you've got something no bigger than , say, a Golf, there's no problem. Driving in town is fairly polite, but you will get tailgated out of town, and the locals go all round a roundabout in the outside lane, so beware!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:55 pm 

Thanks for that

it is parcela 67 so not sure how far back that is though 20 mins is not bad walking down but will taxi back I think

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm 

that should be 40 mins but still manageable

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:55 pm 

If you search for Calle Europa Playa Blanca in Google Earth, it will take you to it, and street view works. Depending on which end you are at, walking along the road would be about 1 to 1.3 miles to the centre, so it depends how fast you walk! Walking across open ground is shorter but lumpier at night. A taxi would be about €3 or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:54 am 

By the time you have paid for taxi in town and airport transfers, you would have spent more than car hire price. Walking is fine early in the morning, but any later it can be very hot, and the wind is often full in your face. Driving here is easy as there is one road from the airport and not a lot of traffic. so often i see familys walking to the beach carry beach bags, airbeds, Water (because you will need it) misserable kids that don't want to walk in the heat it is supposed to be a holiday. There got that off my chest!! only came in to look at the forum because it is raining!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 pm 

Alex, I misread the OP to say "get around the resort from here with our car hire" not "get around the resort from here with out car hire" So I agree, they'd spend more and miss a lot by not hiring at the airport. Most are OK, Cabrera Medina and Autoreisen are the usual favourites. Gold Car look cheap, but sting you very badly for petrol, and you can't escape.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:50 pm 

Going slightly off-topic I know, but just to second that opinion about Goldcar. I had some friends stay for 2 days recently and they got really stuffed by Goldcar - they had to pay for the full tank and return the tank empty, which proved impossible to do in two days.
Avoid at all costs!

I always recommend Cabrera Medina/Cicar - never had a problem with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am 

Thanks for all your comments

One problem though I am unaware of any carhire firms willing to hire to someone without a licence so that rules that one out. I dont intend going out much as I am looking for two weeks rest and recovery so most likely only out the odd evening for a meal etc so a taxi will be the order of the day. I dont mind a wee walk and if my daughters do they can always phone a taxi

Thanks anyway