Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving and schools
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:50 pm 

Hello all
Just joined the forum after reading all your posts for a while.
I am looking at moving to the island in the next couple of years with my wife and two young boys (currently 4 & 2). This is not going to be a spur of the moment thing and will take quite a lot of planning, and of course have to make sure it is the right thing for my boys which is the priority. My intention is to rent out my home here, and we will have enough savings to last at least 1 if not 2 years, but will need to work and I have a couple of ideas I am working on. The reason for my post is for two questions.
Firstly what are people's thoughts and experiences with the schools would you recommend a British school or do children integrate better in a local Spanish school?
Secondly are there any English play groups or toddler groups on Playa Blanca we are back out in May and would be nice to meet some expats who have made the move with young children?
Thank you for any advice.

Post subject: Re: Moving and schools
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:10 pm 

Hi
Advice on Spanish schools........not compulsory until your childs 6th birthday :o ....my daughter has been in state school here for 8 years and in my opinion is much better integrated and speaks far more fluent and colloquial Spanish than her contemporaries attending private schools (current average cost around 1500€ per child per term :oops: )
However here the costs of books and equipment for state schools are your responsibility averaging out at around 300-350€ per annum(so even state education costs :shock: )......they also usually follow quite different curriculums .so if you wish your child to have further education in UK then private would be best, as they follow the English exam structure, which Spanish schools do not.....it is really up to you.. to enrol in state schools you will require ´´residencia´´ and empadronamientos´´ for both you and your children ,and nearly all dealings with the school will have to be be in Spanish,, as few of the teachers or staff ,speak English (obviously except for the ´´English´´ teacher...in my opinion usually they can be woefully bad :mrgreen: )
Don´t forget if you rent out your place in the UK then you must declare it to the taxman here and pay any required tax on it :? :twisted: :twisted: or face a very large fine :( ...
Plus if you intend becoming self-employed here or running a business then research the costs thoroughly.....most people are surprised that, at the moment, the costs of being self-employed are an average of 750€ on an earning of 1600€ per month :roll: :roll: ..so almost 50% has to be paid back to the Spanish Govt/taxman/social security....and that is without the costs of a gestor/accountant to fill in the endless forms of paperwork :cry: :|
Buena suerte 8)