Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving April 2015
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:42 am 

Hi all

Myself, partner and two girls(1 and 2) are moving to lanzerote next year. Was wondering could anybody give tips on where to set up my partner has full time employment based there and I will be stay at home mom.

Any help/ tips appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Moving April 2015
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:16 am 

I know it's Monday morning and we could all do with some nice positive news to start the week, but I'm going to be cruel and say read this thread:

advice-please-t8013.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 pm 

Thanks I had read that unfortunately we have to move there as that's were by partner is after getting based so unless we only spend a few days every month as a family we have to go.

Do you live lanzerote? Any suggestions as to which place is better

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:22 pm 

Where will your partner be based?

The island is small, but there's no point in living at one end if your partner is working at the other.

If you have a choice, would you prefer quiet and rural? Or bustling and lively?

Would you prefer to be close to other ex-pats, or as far away from them as possible?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 pm 

Difficult to assess what is "better" as only you know what you do and don't like.

My only advice would be NOT to live in one of the 3 main holiday resorts....you are going there to live not party so you want to be living near other people who have normal lives to lead.

Its going to be tough, especially for the partners who are at home with kids all day - learn spanish as quickly as you can, only so much you can do in the expat community.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:04 pm 

Thanks pub spy and foodie for replying, my partner is a pilot so needs to be close-ish to airport and because I'm going to be at home by myself with kids most of time I'd like somewhere where there is a community. I am hopefully going to learn Spanish before we head out but would prefer a bit of both ex-pats and locals.

I Don't want to be in party central but would like to be close to restaurants and other amenities. I know I want best of both worlds but literally just want somewhere where I'm not too cut off or lonely

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:36 pm 

Close to the airport are Matagorda and Playa Honda which are a good place to start.

Nice walks with the little ones and the beach is handy.

You'll find plenty of info on some of the facebook pages for Lanzarote.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:04 am 

I think Foodie's view of the main resorts is coloured by being a regular visitor rather than a resident. Several Ryanair staff have, over the last few years lived in the residencial complexes near me at the Western end of Playa Blanca. It is very quiet but has local shops bars and restaurants. I wouldn't worry too much about distance to the airport, it is an easy 30 minute run on quiet roads - traffic jams don't happen on that route. As for integrating into the community, I suspect that, as a stay at home mum, you will find you want o have familiar British things around you, as well as access to Spanish life. The resorts offer that in their outlying areas, being in a Spanish community doesn't. Finally, you will want somewhe with good internet, which is very patchy, but good round here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 am 

Thanks overhear and John b. I'll def look into that area

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:21 pm 

My point was that unlike many of the brits in Lanza you are neither retired nor on holiday so want to make "normal" contacts with working people so to speak.
And keep your expectations realistic.

Have a look at http://www.lanzaroterelocation.co.uk/ that was setup by Alan and Elle. They lived on the outskirts of Playa Blanca though have now moved to mainland spain. Elle is still very active on the forums - canary nightlife I think it is.....and do drop her a note for advice - she definitely won't mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm 

Good points for people working here, but neither the OP or her partner are. He is a pilot, so doesn't rely on networking with locals for trade, and the OP is, as she says, a stay at home mum. There is more likelyhood of her making supportive friends in a mainly British environment, especially in the short term, than by total immersion in a Spanish area. With a couple of small children, and a partner away at work for long hours, that could be very important. Equally, the fact that there is a very good health centre, with 24 hour cover nearby I would imagine to be a comfort. There is plenty of opportunity to make Spanish friends, but I'd have thought a more familiar environment when life's little upsets occur would be a good thing. There are several, easily found, Lanzarote Facebook groups where answers to a thousand questions can be found, not least the Playa Blanca page run by Elle.