Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Moving checklist
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:04 pm 

OK thank you

It should tie in nicely then I think and I didn't really think on about the summer workers retreating back to the UK. Plus we are both in our early 30's so I think we would definitely slot into the young family demographic quite easily. Plus we are both genuinely nice, easy to get on with people who have just genuinely had it with the UK - might as well do it now whilst we can and not leave it too late then looking back, wishing that we did it years ago!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:52 am 

Just to stick my oar in.....

Your last post is very negative about the UK - emigrating to Lanza should be for a positive reason not because you've had it with the UK. You are hardly in the situation of those being fished out of the Med who believe they have no other option.

I see there being 3 types of Brits moving to Lanza...

Retirees with a pension
Entrepreneurs who have money and an idea or want to buy business
Casual labour

You have to be wary that the pay for casual labour is appalling and the hours and conditions unpleasant.
There is NO safety net in Lanza. No housing benefit nor tax credits. And as mentioned above plenty of sharks who will try and get you to work for free as a trial....

I don't know what you do in the UK but I can't see bar work as being a long term viable career in Lanza, and the most likely outcome is you will spend your combined 8 grand and have to head back to the UK....UNLESS you can bring something different and unique. Not being able to speak spanish is already a big negative.

Sorry to be such a downer but there is no point sugar coating it.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:08 am 

Hi, thanks for your reply

I don't think I was being negative about the UK. I genuinely feel that way.

I don't see bar work as a long term fix, but we will need some sort of income hence why I see that as the easiest way forward initially

Long term we will work something out I'm sure

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:07 pm 

Hi Craig...but what is your long-term plan?

If you haven't got one it will be bar work with no contract cash in hand no healthcare until someone younger and prepared to work for cheaper. You are far better off in the UK

The reasons what I meant was that your reason for leaving should be a positive ie. Huge opportunity in Lanza of some kind....but youth unemployment in Lanza is scary.

Am just making sure that you have quadruple checked the reasons why you want to do it...and unlike the X factor really wanting it and being prepared to work 30 hours a day isn't enough.