Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving checklist
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:48 am 

Hi!

My partner and I are moving to Lanzarote shortly and I just wanted to check that all of our ducks are in a row. I would really appreciate it if someone could help make sure that we will be OK with what we have understood so far. The basics seem straight forward so I thought I'd best check so that we don't run into any difficulties. Thanks!

We have 4000 Euros each to live on temporarily plus a house sale completing which will give us a decent sum
The first thing we are going to sort is accommodation on a long term basis renting, not buying
I understand that we need to visit the police station for a NIF number to work legally - is this still the correct thing to do?
We are OK sorting out water, gas, electricity bills as we have all of the relevant company contact details (unless anyone knows of the best ones to approach?)
Then is it just a matter of finding part-time/full time employment?

Any other suggestions would be greatly received! :D

Craig

Post subject: Re: Moving checklist
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:54 am 

Hi
Don´t forget you will both need private medical insurance initially to cover you whilst here....good luck with finding a job....with 35% unemployment that means you will be competing for a job with every third person here.....and your NIE will only last 3 months and has to be renewed unless you decide to get a residencia which includes your NIE/NIF which is obtainable only with proof of savings/proof of private medical insurance( Or a work contract )/proof of address on the island/passport this can only be obtained in person from the Policia Nacional office in Arrecife....if you do not speak Spanish I advise you to take someone who does Best of luck

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:54 pm 

What type of work are you looking for?

What you can and/or are prepared to do (and for how much) will decide a lot. If you get a regular income sorted, then most things should fall into place.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:02 pm 

Well bar work is.an.obvious one, or working in the tourist trade, hotels, etc. Also there are a couple Of options with regards to working in a gym

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 pm 

If you're going to depend on the tourist trade, then just worry about getting work sorted first.

When you're just starting out, bar or restaurant work is hard to come by and often poorly paid. Plus your hours will rarely be guarenteed, especially when you'll probably end up in some place that's new (most long-established, well-run places will have long-serving staff and vacancies will hardly ever crop up with these good employers).

Fair play to you for making the move, but don't worry about anything more than generating a regular income for your first few months.

Good luck :D

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:47 am 

Pub Spy wrote:
If you're going to depend on the tourist trade, then just worry about getting work sorted first.

When you're just starting out, bar or restaurant work is hard to come by and often poorly paid. Plus your hours will rarely be guarenteed, especially when you'll probably end up in some place that's new (most long-established, well-run places will have long-serving staff and vacancies will hardly ever crop up with these good employers).

Fair play to you for making the move, but don't worry about anything more than generating a regular income for your first few months.

Well said PubSpy...especially the second paragraph which is totally the case.....all I can add is stick at it ,as eventually,(after working for a few weeks and watching these newer places ´´go to the wall´´ for a variety of reasons) you will become known and hopefully find work in one of the more long-term establishments......remember it is a small island and here your reputation WILL preceed you as regards reliability,timekeeping etc. (and ´´staying power``)....eventually something will turn up as long as you have sufficient funds to bankroll you and to fall back on in the now increasingly long periods of unemploymet,
Bueno Suerte

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 pm 

lanzalocal wrote:
Pub Spy wrote:

Well said PubSpy...especially the second paragraph which is totally the case.....all I can add is stick at it ,as eventually,(after working for a few weeks and watching these newer places ´´go to the wall´´ for a variety of reasons) you will become known and hopefully find work in one of the more long-term establishments......remember it is a small island and here your reputation WILL preceed you as regards reliability,timekeeping etc. (and ´´staying power``)....eventually something will turn up as long as you have sufficient funds to bankroll you and to fall back on in the now increasingly long periods of unemploymet,
Bueno Suerte

Thank you.

So would you recommend looking for work not in bars etc then? If so,.then what would be your recommendation?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 pm 

lanzalocal wrote:
Pub Spy wrote:

Bueno Suerte

Thank you.

So would you recommend looking for work not in bars etc then? If so,.then what would be your recommendation?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:38 pm 

Hi
Unless you can speak Spanish then bar work in a Brit/Irish pub is all there is really(reality check here,,this work is more easily obtained by females very sexist I know but a fact of island life :roll: )......and as Pubspy said the only ones who would take you on as (in effect) a ´´newbie´´ will be the ones who are ``newbies`` themselves because most locals do not want to work for a brand-new business as more than 60% fail and close within 3 months to a year.... :(
Be very wary of anyone who offers a ´´trial period´´ as some bars keep offering this but never actually employ anyone permanently (just a succession of new arrivals on trial periods :twisted: )
Not to say that any bar will fail(nor even that every bar who offers a trial will do this...just something to be aware of) but it is a cut-throat business over here and if your location or business model is wrong then people do not come in.....no people = no profit=no money for wages=no money for rent/stock/bills=early demise of business(NB any bar that has changed hands does so for a reason and the reason is usually the present owners are not making money :? ).....seen so many go down this road so often....but keep plugging away and something will (eventually) turn-up...it is just that you will need adequate money to tide you over.....no benefits here I´m afraid :shock: oh and be prepared to move around all the resorts do not just pick one as you will be limiting your chances.

Last edited by lanzalocal on Mon May 11, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 pm 

As Lanzalocal said, if you don't speak Spanish, your options are limited.

So, what else you could do is the $64,000 question that hundreds, if not thousands, of other people have asked over the years.

If you had a trade (electrician, plumber, carpenter, accountant (!), beautician, barber, etc.), that might be something. But there's no shortage of English-speaking tradespeople on the island either.

Musician? Good ones are scarce, but adequate ones are a dime-a-dozen.

Personal trainer? Maybe, if there was enough of an ex-pat middle-class around.

The options are endless, but finding a niche that's not already filled is very difficult. Hard and all as it will be, finding bar/restaurant work might be your best chance.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:14 am 

lanzalocal wrote:
Hi
Unless you can speak Spanish then bar work in a Brit/Irish pub is all there is really(reality check here,,this work is more easily obtained by females very sexist I know but a fact of island life :roll: )......and as Pubspy said the only ones who would take you on as (in effect) a ´´newbie´´ will be the ones who are ``newbies`` themselves because most locals do not want to work for a brand-new business as more than 60% fail and close within 3 months to a year.... :(
Be very wary of anyone who offers a ´´trial period´´ as some bars keep offering this but never actually employ anyone permanently (just a succession of new arrivals on trial periods :twisted: )
Not to say that any bar will fail(nor even that every bar who offers a trial will do this...just something to be aware of) but it is a cut-throat business over here and if your location or business model is wrong then people do not come in.....no people = no profit=no money for wages=no money for rent/stock/bills=early demise of business(NB any bar that has changed hands does so for a reason and the reason is usually the present owners are not making money :? ).....seen so many go down this road so often....but keep plugging away and something will (eventually) turn-up...it is just that you will need adequate money to tide you over.....no benefits here I´m afraid :shock: oh and be prepared to move around all the resorts do not just pick one as you will be limiting your chances.

:D Thank you for this. I really do appreciate your honesty and it is quite reassuring as this is what I thought it would be like! Although I didn't realise so many opened and closed! I have seen a couple of bars being "re-fitted" during my visits to the island though - so I assume they closed and someone else took over

Pub Spy wrote:
As Lanzalocal said, if you don't speak Spanish, your options are limited.

So, what else you could do is the $64,000 question that hundreds, if not thousands, of other people have asked over the years.

If you had a trade (electrician, plumber, carpenter, accountant (!), beautician, barber, etc.), that might be something. But there's no shortage of English-speaking tradespeople on the island either.

Musician? Good ones are scarce, but adequate ones are a dime-a-dozen.

Personal trainer? Maybe, if there was enough of an ex-pat middle-class around.

The options are endless, but finding a niche that's not already filled is very difficult. Hard and all as it will be, finding bar/restaurant work might be your best chance.

Thank you! I do have a couple of ideas outside of working for an existing business, but I think a safer bet would be to get employment before I start thinking about filling a niche on the island myself - I don't want to try and run before I can walk! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:19 am 

Best of luck with your move and job search.....nice to see someone who will take on board the advice offered by residents here and doesn`t ´´bury their head in the sand´´ and accuse us of being negative just to put people off moving.....none of us here want to see people going home penniless with their dream of a new life in tatters.....we try to provide honest,factual info so you can make an informed choice rather than turn up with a pocketful (of however fanciful )dreams.....once again
Bueno Suerte :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:57 am 

lanzalocal wrote:
Best of luck with your move and job search.....nice to see someone who will take on board the advice offered by residents here and doesn`t ´´bury their head in the sand´´ and accuse us of being negative just to put people off moving.....none of us here want to see people going home penniless with their dream of a new life in tatters.....we try to provide honest,factual info so you can make an informed choice rather than turn up with a pocketful (of however fanciful )dreams.....once again

Well said!

You might get quicker replies on Facebook's various groups, but you get a bit of depth on here :D

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:39 pm 

Pub Spy wrote:
lanzalocal wrote:

Well said!

You might get quicker replies on Facebook's various groups, but you get a bit of depth on here :D

I really do appreciate your honesty. The last thing I would want to happen is to have to go back to the UK! At least we can make sure that we have enough money to last us if it takes us a few months to get a job sorted. I guess it'll just be a matter of persistence!

Also I prefer the depth as opposed to a quick message on Facebook etc. And it carries so much more weight coming from existing residents.

Would you say that there would be a particularly good time of year to make the hop?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:32 pm 

Hi again
Personally I would say August/September/October as most of the summer workers have gone back to college or the dole queue or have had their fill of sun sand etc and spent-up, have fled back from whence they came.....leaving bars etc to find replacements for the wintersun season.....Thats what I did many years ago and found work fairly easily (mind you years ago there were many more jobs and fewer restrictions as well :lol: )...The demographics are different as well....mainly older couples or families with pre-school age children so bars looking for the type of person that identifies with them....rather than the younger age groups that come in the summer :mrgreen: .