Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: moving to lanzarote next month
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:21 pm 

hi im moving to lanzarote next month i know very few people on the island, i already have accomadion with a room mate untill i get on my feet im headin over with about 3000 euros im paying about 200 a month for accomadion so will be able to live for a while i was looking for any advice at all about moving and also how do i get a dif and die numbers im trying to learn spainsh but know very little which from what ive read would possibly be a problem to find work most things ive read have been very negative towards making the move and have made me quite nervous.

Post subject: Re: moving to lanzarote next month
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:10 pm 

Hi
making the move next year. Take no notice of the negativity, have a look on the need to know lanzarote Facebook page there is loads of help from residents on the island. They will point you in the right direction and find them all very friendly and helpful. Good luck with your move.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:21 am 

Negativity v Reality....

If you don't speak the language you are seriously limiting your career options.

With 3000, you will be able to survive for 3 months without work, 6 months if you are incredibly efficient with money.

Perhaps tell us more why you are moving and others can assist.

Facebook is good, lanzarote relocation is a good site too.

Perhaps Jo@ady can share the secret of their success in Lanza?

Blind optimism isn't the way to go!! On the plus side you don't have a family to worry about, as a gamble you only have 3000 to lose but remember their is no safety net.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 pm 

Hello
We haven't made the move yet. I agree you have to be realistic, but I have been researching sites and ime an active member of need to know lanzarote on FB. Ive had loads of positive feedback and while there is a high unemployment over there lots of members have said that if your willing to work hard and are not choosey there are jobs to be had.
Making the move from the Uk mainly because of the bleak weather here, High taxes, stressful life to name but a few others.
Ime of the opinion as better to try and fail as not to try and regret.!! That is just my philosophy though and no everyone does not think the same.
Hope this is of help and interest. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:08 am 

Hi Jo - thats all well and good but are you reading what you write?

If you are willing to work hard and not be choosey about the job you have?! I've spent 20 years building a career in the UK and am not about to start again at the bottom in Lanza - because frankly that is where you will be starting....

Do you actually know what spanish tax rates are compared to UK...?

I appreciate that its is viewed as a good thing to be enthusiastic and nothing ventured nothing gained.....but you forget you can lose that lot too.....

Take a walk around the back streets of arrecife or Tias and see how the locals live, its not all sea views, beaches and air conditioned apartments....

What do you actually want to achieve by moving long term? Do you have a career plan? An exit strategy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:30 am 

Optimism, warm climate and the sea are great but they dont pay the rent. Unless you're living in lala land.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm 

Hi Foodie
appreciate all your comments and they are very relevant and realistic.
I have a plan b and don't mind starting at the bottom again. I live a very simple life in the UK and will be living a very simple life in Lanzarote.
I work full time in the UK at moment and what with the long hours find that I do not have time to do the things that would be able to do in lanzarote that's why ime taking the plunge. Have built up a career in the UK to pay the mortgage, bills etc at the expense of my health and family so now its time to get out the "rat race" and get back to basics of what I feel life is all about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 pm 

Hi Jo,

THats all very commendable but do you realise the hours you would have to work to make ends meet?
If you haven't got the time to do the fun things in the UK you will have even less in Lanza!

And do you really mean you would do anything, even back to the bottom? 60 hour weeks in a sweltering kitchen on 5 E an hour cash with no contract therefore no healthcare or benefits.....

I'll be in Lanza full time in 20 years....but I won't be having to work put it that way!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 pm 

Hello Foodie
I have an income coming in from the UK while I am in Lanzarote. That is why I can cut back on the hours that I will have to work to help out.
I do realise how hard life is out there for some and would not just give up a well paid job in the UK to come out and struggle on Lanzarote. That's my plan B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:44 pm 

I too plan to move to the island within the next few years, yes I appreciate the difficulties when relocating to a place with high unemployment but it really does seem to me that the general replies and opinions are very negative.
Its also hard to get work in the uk , I currently work for a large boiler manufacturer and recently had over 1000 people apply for just 1 position.
I believe if you want to go for it then be as prepared as you can, learn the language and take as many skills that you could apply to employment as possible to increase your chances.
I am lucky and I already own property on the island, but I am planning on taking at least 20 000 euros as a reserve and also have qualifications that are recognised by spanish law in air conditioning,solar thermal and heat pumps.

So I suggest be prepared but go for it !!!!!