Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Books | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving to Lanzarote
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:24 am 

I am hoping to move to Lanzarote next year for perhaps one year (or longer!) and am just looking for some general advice on the best way to go about this, how i get all my paperwork in order (ie can this be done before I travel) and any other useful advice! At the minute i will be travelling on my own and initially would like to be there for maybe 3 months to find my feet and some employment ... i would be grateful for any help! I know this is quite a generalised request but ...!

Thank you!

Elle

Post subject: Re: Moving to Lanzarote
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 pm 

lanzalocal in 1..2...3......... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:23 pm 

The trouble is with giving advice is that it refers to the situation now....depending on when Article 50 is triggered then any advice could be incorrect in future...especially as no date has been given for this act by the UK Premier Mrs, May ( or ´´Mrs. May not´´ depending on which school of thought over Brexit you subscribe to :wink: :lol: )
At the moment and for the foreseeable future then current rules apply....which are:- you will be required to register for residency within 3 months and to comply with this you will need to prove the following..
.that you have funds to support yourself,currently around 4,500 euros, in a Spanish bank account.....
.that you have private medical insurance to cover you until and more importantly IF you can find work (unemployment here still around the 30% mark) and join the Social Security system here....
and that you will not become a ´´burden on the state´´
Applying for residencia cannot be done until you get here as you will require proof of a rental address /contract( contrata temporada) or proof that you have purchased a property here (escrituria)
As I said the biggest hurdle will be finding employment and getting an employment contract ( the two do not necessarily go hand in hand) followed closely by the almost impossible task of trying to find an affordable rental property at the moment.
Buena Suerte 8) 8)
Oh dear Robert.....anyone else is free to answer....it is just most of you do not :roll: :roll:
Of course the above applies to all current EU citizens ...but may (will :( ) change for UK citizens in the future

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:52 pm 

Thank you lanzalocal! All advice is very welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:18 am 

Can i ask as well ... what is the longest period of time you can stay on the island without registering/working?

Thanks again!

Elle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 am 

Hi Again
Legally....you can only remain in Spain for 90 days max( EU rules since 2012)........however many stay longer ...really up to you...as to applying for ´´residencia´´ you are supposed to apply within this period..again at the moment the waiting list for an appointment itself runs to 90 days as well( so in theory you could legally stay 180 days in total once you have applied for a NIF/Residencia)....so as said depends on whether you want to take the risk,,,the BIG thing though is that your EHIC card is ONLY valid for stays of 90 days or less....if you need medical attention outside this period it will have to be private or you will need a long term insurance policy covering your stay 8) 8)
As a caveat I personally do know of people who have been here years without ´´being in the system´´...but the reason I know them is because at some time for some reason, they have fallen foul of the system, and required my help to sort out their problems :roll: :( :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:12 am 

Thank you again for this!

Elle