Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moving to Puerto del Carmen
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:03 pm 

Hi guys,
My friend and I are thinking about moving to peurto del carmen next summer. She plans on staying for three months while I plan on spending a year there. Could anyone explain to me the steps we would need to take in order to move over here and be allowed to work? Also how could we find room mates? We're only 18 and would really appreciate some tips on how to find work, accomidation and the procedures to follow please!

Post subject: Re: Moving to peurto del carmen
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm 

Hi
in order to work legally in Lanzarote.....the new rules are
1. you must have a residencia (also known as NIE/NIF)....in order to obtain one you will require either a work contract issued by your employer showing an average wage of 750€ per month or demonstrable savings (usually in a Spanish bank) of at least 4000€ per person......if the former you will need a Seguridad Social number (also issued through your employer from the Social Security Dept) or if the latter a full private medical insurance policy covering the time of your intended stay here.The residencia applications are applied for at the National Pólice Station in Arrecife and cost around the 16€ mark (if you can speak Spanish and apply for it yourself.....if not then you will need to pay for a ´´Gestor´´ to apply for it for you costs vary between 50€-150€

2. unemployment here is 37%......that means every third local is unemployed ...jobs are difficult if not impossible to come by unless you are already here and there is no social security benefit to fall back on.......you do not work then you have NO INCOME AT ALL !!!!!!!

3.Rental costs are around 350€-400€ per month for a one -bedroom apartment (which may or may not include bills for wáter/electric/community charges) and usually require a months deposit and the first months rent up front (potentially 800€)

4.You are allowed just 90 days to comply with all the above regulations.....if not you must leave the island

5.Many people come here with the intention to live and work............about 90% of them, if not more, end up leaving with hardly any money and wishing they had planned ahead better......you need to have sufficient money to live on (should you not find work) for the proposed length of your stay and sufficient money to return home ......as said before there is no ´´safety net´´ to help you-.....wishing you luck because you will need it !!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:43 pm 

lanzalocal wrote:
Hi
in order to work legally in Lanzarote.....the new rules are
1. you must have a residencia (also known as NIE/NIF)....in order to obtain one you will require either a work contract issued by your employer showing an average wage of 750€ per month or demonstrable savings (usually in a Spanish bank) of at least 4000€ per person......if the former you will need a Seguridad Social number (also issued through your employer from the Social Security Dept) or if the latter a full private medical insurance policy covering the time of your intended stay here.The residencia applications are applied for at the National Pólice Station in Arrecife and cost around the 16€ mark (if you can speak Spanish and apply for it yourself.....if not then you will need to pay for a ´´Gestor´´ to apply for it for you costs vary between 50€-150€

2. unemployment here is 37%......that means every third local is unemployed ...jobs are difficult if not impossible to come by unless you are already here and there is no social security benefit to fall back on.......you do not work then you have NO INCOME AT ALL !!!!!!!

3.Rental costs are around 350€-400€ per month for a one -bedroom apartment (which may or may not include bills for wáter/electric/community charges) and usually require a months deposit and the first months rent up front (potentially 800€)

4.You are allowed just 90 days to comply with all the above regulations.....if not you must leave the island

5.Many people come here with the intention to live and work............about 90% of them, if not more, end up leaving with hardly any money and wishing they had planned ahead better......you need to have sufficient money to live on (should you not find work) for the proposed length of your stay and sufficient money to return home ......as said before there is no ´´safety net´´ to help you-.....wishing you luck because you will need it !!!!!

Thank you a lot!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am 

Hi again
Sorry if you feel that my advice was negative......but that is the reality here at the moment.....wish I could say there were plenty of work opportunities but that is not the case....the days of working ´´cash in hand´´ for a few months during the summer are long long gone......government inspectors now regularly check all businesses to see that staff are on contracts and paying their dues........if you are caught your employer faces fines of up to 3000€ per person and there is the possibility you could be personally fined too !!!.........yes it looks great when you are on your hols but remember even if you are fortunate enough to find work the usual working week comprises 10-14 hours a day at least 6 sometimes 7 days a week and all for the average wage of 5€ an hour (sometimes even less)--------when you consider working here it is always best to leave the ´´rose-tinted specs´´ at home.....it can be a very unforgiving lifestyle with no work or money and many give up after only a few weeks of the constant rejections......best to come for an extended holiday (month or more) and try to get work that way if it all fails then at least you have had a few weeks in the sun.
I am very much aware this is not the answer you wanted BUT it is accurate good advice from someone who lives and works here and is still here DESPITE the fact that the number of Brits returning to the UK now exceeds those wishing to have their ´´Place in the sun´´.....i.e more Brits going home because of lack of work than those coming seeking work.....and those are the official figures
Good luck with your search.

Post subject: Re: Moving to Puerto del Carmen
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 am 

rachmarie wrote:
Hi guys,
My friend and I are thinking about moving to peurto del carmen next summer. She plans on staying for three months while I plan on spending a year there. Could anyone explain to me the steps we would need to take in order to move over here and be allowed to work? Also how could we find room mates? We're only 18 and would really appreciate some tips on how to find work, accomidation and the procedures to follow please!

Sent you a PM/email - good luck!