Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Need job & accom in Teguise!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:29 pm 

Ive just been to Costa Teguise on holiday and fell in love with the place and people!
I really want to go back over and try it out for at least a year, I'm 19 and want to get into bar work preferably , but will take on any work.. BUT havent got any experience how should I go about finding a job and would I need experience?
I have the money for accommodation sorted but i dont want to move in somewhere pay deposit and months advance and end up jobless??

Also any other advice welcome!!

Thanks ,

Grace :D

Post subject: Re: Need job & accom in Teguise!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:24 am 

Don't is my advice. Canarian unemployment is 35% last time I checked. It looks great on holiday, all roses. In real life expect seriously long hours, seriously low wages and experience needed.

Been there, seen it, done it, got the T-Shirt!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:22 am 

Hi
Unemployment is 37,5% on Lanzarote.......people have been unemployed for years.....very little work around.....in order to work here you will require a residencia....to obtain this you now need proof of employment(a work contract),private medical insurance covering your intended length of stay,and proof (usually via a Spanish bank account) of sufficient money to fund your length of intended stay(at the moment they are saying approx 3,500-4,500€ per person in the bank)..........even then you will be competing with existing residents who will take priority over you.......sorry is all bad news but that is the reality of life here
it is not like a holiday ...even if you got a job expect to work 10-12 hours a day at least 6 days a week and if you lose your job there is no social security payments available here.....so its back to UK on next available plane......oh and all for a máximum of 5€ an hour(if you are lucky)....sorry take the ´´rose-tinted holiday glasses off´´because it is not like that in reality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 pm 

Save your money at home, book a return flight (with return date a month after you land), print out a CV with your picture on the back, buy comfortable shoes and then start pounding the streets from bar to bar and restaurant to restaurant. Call back a week later and ask again if there's any work going. Repeat the process until a few days before your return flight.

Things are not like they were years ago, but there is still work to be found if you're lucky.

You don't need residencia to stay here for a month and look for work during that time. The pay rate is correctly quoted by lanzalocal, and you will have to work long hours too.

But if you're 19 and have no commitments, then Lanzarote can be a great place to live.

BTW, I'm based in Puerto del Carmen, and I've been made aware of 3 different bar/restaurant jobs in the last week. They're probably gone now, but there's no question that jobs do crop up.

I will now assume the crash position and await the rebuttals from other posters :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:31 am 

Hi
PubSpy is correct ......to a certain extent......at least two of the jobs he heard of required NIE/NIF AND Social Security number(so no chance there then.without these :cry: ) .....they all went to existing locals who had experience of working in a similar environment here.. :shock: .....In the last few week s I have said goodbye to 6 residents who have had to return to the UK (despite being here several years.....in one case 18 years.....who have left as they are unable to find work locally :shock: :shock: )....it is a great island to live on should you have some form of income such as a pension etc but it is a very scary place to find yourself without any financial means whatsoever :evil: :evil:
As I always say by all means come and try to find work but be prepared for a quick exit should you be unsuccesful....Best of luck :)
P.S That was 3 available jobs on an island with over 16,000 unemployed(and that does not count those who do not figure in the Govt. statistics!!!)....work out the ratio for yourself :roll: