Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New to Lanzarote
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:36 pm 

Hi

As the title suggests I am new to Lanzarote. We have a villa booked for a week in September. It's in Los Altos, Playa Blanca the road is Calle B, however I have no idea what's around the area, looking at Google maps it appears there are a lot of villas. Are there any shops, restaurants or bars in the vicinity please?. We are hiring a car so willing to explore of course during the day but at night would prefer to stay locally so we can all drink. I am taking a small scooter with me as well, I can do 12 miles on it so no issues with distance just how far my party want to walk :) but I guess no more than a half a mile (not sure my party would think even thats too much though).

This leads to my next question, what are the paths like, do they have dropped curbs? it can do 2 or 3 inch curbs, anything bigger and it can be teeth gritting waiting for the bang!. It has travelled with me to France, Belgium and Holland and even these countries can be challenging especially the older parts. I have never taken it on a plane so it will be an experience in itself.

We don't do night life just prefer to have a meal, head back to the Villa and open a bottle of wine or have a G&T or two.

Thanks in advance for any responses I should get.

Hugh

Post subject: Re: New to Lanzarote
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 am 

From where you are its probably 40 minutes walk to the harbour area where there are many bars and resteraunts. However taxis are cheap, probably 4-5 euros tops. The roads are a bit uneven and pavements cracked so I don't think a scooter sounds too good. However, if a nice meal and quiet time is what your after you're in for a treat in Playa Blanca. Make sure you get to the marina area for a meal as well, great at night or day. Market there on Wednesday and Saturday mornings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:02 am 

People can and do use scooters around PB, and the main shopping pedestrian area is fine. However the side streets have high curbs - some of them high enough to hit with an open car door. I had to push a wheelchair around once, and found that, although they have provided ramps from one level to the next, often there is a high drop kerb you have to negotiate, or walk many yards along the pavement to find a suitable crossing place. The actual marked pedestrian crossings are OK.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 pm 

Hi

Thanks for the info so it will be a challenge for myself. Ok not a problem as you say we can get a cab. It's what I suspected but will take it anyway see what happens.

I have heard that it's nice round the harbour so looks like we will be spending evenings round there. As long as the food and service is good I don't mind spending a bit more, after all we're on holiday and you don't get many treats during the year apart from birthdays and xmas :)

Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:11 pm 

I think you may mean around the Marina, which is more upmarket and aimed at visitors. The harbour only has a couple of Spanish restaurants, definitely of the Formica-topped-table sort. The taxi can drop you off at the marina. It could also drop you at the taxi rank, which is just behind the town beach and promenade, and also at junction of the road up to the church, and the pedestrian precinct. All of those, promenade, road and precinct would be fine for you and your scooter, and between them they have nearly all the restaurants in town. The Marina is about another mile or so East, and again, is all on a level, although there are a couple of stretches of rough cobbles for artistic effect which were certainly uncomfortable for a wheelchair. The taxis are booked on a central number, on which the operator speaks perfectly adequate English. Someone else may confirm this, but I'm sure there are certain taxis which are for disabled people, although it sounds as though your scooter fits in a car.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:16 pm 

Yes Walker sorry I meant the marina.

Yes the scooter breaks down, in pieces that is, so will be able to get it into a car boot easily.

Thanks very much

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:36 pm 

Hi

We live on Calle B, as stated the payments are very uneven, if you go out in evening make sure to put your outside lights on before you go as we do not have any working street lights up here. Hope you have a great holiday the views from up here are fantastic!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:05 pm 

And the weather should be great. I think September is the best month, and I live here!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:45 pm 

Thanks everyone, I will certainly try :)