Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Newbie to Lanzarote - upcoming visit to Playa Blanca
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:24 pm 

Hi all, new to forum and to Lanzarote. Have booked a Villa in Vista Lobos and seeking some advice. Whilst there we will be celebrating our wedding anniversary and looking for a restaurant recommendation - ideally 'posh nosh' with white table cloths and a view!! Also, would love to know a bit more about where to shop for food, in particular if a good butcher can be recommended that would be great... Plus any views on location in Playa Blanca and Villa Jade Marie. Thanks in advance for any info - promise to feedback on any recommendations!

Post subject: Re: Newbie to Lanzarote - upcoming visit to Playa Blanca
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 pm 

Sorry to say that Playa Blanca is not really known for a lot of "fine dining". But you may want to check out the restaurants at the Princessa Yaiza hotel. It is a 5-plus star hotel and is widely considered the best in Lanzarote. It has other restaurants to offer besides just the standard half-board buffet for the guests of the hotel. Some of the other nicer hotels may also have similar dining options to offer, as well. There are also some nice restaurants at the Marina Rubicon, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:27 pm 

There is a large Hyperdino supermarket in Playa Blanca that usually has a good selection of everything. There is also another large supermarket at the Marina Rubicon, too. The Ropers supermarket in the Las Colorados shopping complex is supposed to have good fish. We have found that it is a bit cheaper to buy fresh baguettes, French sticks etc. rather than "normal" bread, as it can be expensive. Also be aware that when you are offered bread in a restaurant that it is not free with the meal. If you can find them it is even better and cheaper to buy bread, etc. from a bakery. With most if not all fruits and vegetables having to be imported from Spain and elsewhere, be prepared to find them fairly expensive, as well. The local beers and wines are good and are also fairly inexpensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:05 pm 

For a lovely meal in a super surroundings, go down to the Marina and dine at Casa Brigitta. I can assure you won't be disappointed. Good meat and fish can be found at Ropers Supermarket. Have a lovely time in beautiful Lanzarote. :D

Ps Try morning coffee in El Goffo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 pm 

I think thetallman is being a little harsh about PB, there are some superb places to dine. Sebastyans Greek restaurant out by natura palace is great with amazing views, book a sea view table ! There us a brill chill out bar underneath called Marea with cocktails to die for. In PB town La Chalinita just along from Casa Pedros upstairs, again Id book for a seaview.

Agree Princesa Yaiza is the place to stay after we've stated 6 times, great location too. Can't comment on their restaurants as we like to get out and experience what's out there. Take a look at TA for restaurant reviews too. Enjoy !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:22 pm 

I wonder where Tallman has been eating! Like all tourist PB has it's share of average places to eat each one offering much the same choice but there really are some gems. I have to agree that la Chalonita is lovely. I haven't been to sebastyans but I have heard lots of good things, the bar below though is fabulous and a great place to chill out and have cocktails. From vista Lobos you could walk there in about 10 minutes too. Hope you have a lovely time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:12 pm 

I agree with the last two posts. Both restaurants have good food, excellent service (no gimmicks, they serve you properly like a grown-up) linen tablecloths and napkins, and the same view of Fuerteventura and Lobos as have the Vista Lobos Villas. There are plenty of tourist restaurants which are interchangeable with any in tourist spots from Playa Blanca to Paphos!

Outside the villa is a taxi rank, which would get you to the town centre in 5 minutes for about 3 euros, but, as has been said, Sebastyans, the Marea Bar and the Natura Beach are 10 minutes walk from the villa.

The butchers in Hiperdino is great, with excellent beef, pork and chicken. Lamb is scarce and expensive, although New Zealand frozen joints are OK. Filet doesn't mean fillet - you have to ask for solomillo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:50 pm 

Wow, thanks for all the response! Much appreciated all; sounds like we may be a little spoilt for choice which will be great. Thanks for all the advice and tips; will report back on our experiences.... Hoping for good weather but then who isn't!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm 

Hi to all that responded to my posting. I have now returned, sadly :( from our trip. Found Playa Blanca very pleasant although much preferred the Marina Rubicon for dining out. My recommendations would be El Muno for an amazing seafood platter and Casa de Roja for a lovely romantic meal with great food and service. Thanks to all again and we will be back, both to the forum and to the Island of Lanzarote.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:19 pm 

A little late to reply to the original poster, however if I was to advise where NOT to go, I'd say to anyone to stay well clear of Lani's at the Rubicon Marina.

The restaurant was nice, the food was very good, but the thing that ruined it for us was putting up with the most utterly rude and obnoxious waiter I've ever come across in my life. We will certainly never go THERE again. It completely ruined our meal to be treated that way. I assume they continue to make money because of the location. Only for the second time in my life ever did I not leave a tip. Not paying to be treated like sh*t!!!

Apart from - that - place, just about everywhere else we went the service was brilliant. Most of the restaurants at the Playa Blanca waterfront were great, couldn't do enough to look after you. The standard of food overall was fairly decent too. There was enough choice to try something different just about every night.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:10 pm 

I think you'll find that there are similar comments on several forums about Lani's in the Marina.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:30 pm 

Walker wrote:
I think you'll find that there are similar comments on several forums about Lani's in the Marina.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:34 pm 

Guys, if it's still the same at Lani's two years after we visited and during a recession - the mind boggles.

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:32 am 

Paid a visit to Lani's last night for the first time. Wish I had read reviews first. Food was, what could be described as, at best, adequate. Starter of Garlic Bread was disappointing. Main courses were Marguerita Pizza, Spaghetti Bolognaise, Fillet Steak and Chicken Fajitas. Pizza was bland, Bolognaise was ok, Steak was fine but veg was fairly tasteless and Fajitas were fine at best, but a bit over spiced and tortillas were scarce. Service was fine and restaurant was very busy. My advice would be to go to an Italian restaurant if you want Pizza or Bolognaise and a Mexican restaurant for Fajitas. Not the most expensive meal I have ever had. If you are happy with cheap and cheerful, then fine. If not, then avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:27 pm 

I've just got to say that we've been going to Lani's for several years and must have had about 40 lunches/dinners. We've never had any problems with waiters and the food has always been really good. Infact I think they do the best fresh fish of any restaurant we've been into in PB (and I've tried most over the years).