Home | Contact | Lanzarote Forum | Lanzarote Events Guide | Photo Gallery | Advertise your Business
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nhs prerscriptions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:26 pm 

We are staying in lanzarote at the end of the year for 4 months and my wife can only get her nhs medicine in the uk for three months at at time before we go , so if we take her perscription with us will a chemist supply her mediine while we are there as I have read somewhere this can be done.

Post subject: Re: Nhs prerscriptions
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:54 am 

Hi
Different rules here for prescription meds...on the whole unless it is a ´controlled drug¨¨ eg Opiate based or an antibiotic then any other medication can normally be purchased over the counter....but a lot of brand names used in the UK,,,and many medications also used in the UK are just not available here or you need to buy the generic equivalent.....bringing a UK prescription will help the farmacist work out the Spanish equivalent of your medication...but as mentioned if it is one of the two previously listed meds then you will need a Spanish prescription from a doctor here-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:54 am 

Sparkymark,

If you talk with your Dr not the self important receptionists which seem to be in every surgery, post office and works storerooms up and down the country. You will find they can and do issue to whatever your requirement based on practicality and common sense. I do it regular for varying durations based on my work and holiday durations.
Likewise you pay per prescription, not item if you are a paying patient.

I once forgot one med when packing and got it supplemented in Lanza without a hitch, so like local says it depends on what it is.

Remember to check your holiday insurance small print as a lot are only covered for 90 days, not 120 days.
As an example:
My aunt lives in mainland Spain for 5 months durations and has to fly back and turn round to validate her annual insurance which covers her for no more than 90 days in one period.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:08 am 

Yes ....great advice from Lanzaliker there....your GP can issue a prescription to cover your holiday...and should just mention ,,,if you require a visit to the docs here ..just as private holiday insurance your EHIC ( the replacement for the old E111) entitling you to same medical care as the locals get, is only valid for 90 days at a time.